“Everything we were looking for!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hinton
Old Entrance B 'n B Cabins & Teepees
Ranked #1 of 9 Hinton B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed here for our 1st wedding anniversary and it was exactly what we were looking for in a get-away. It was very private when we wanted it to be but if we wanted to chat with the owners they were more than accomodating. We were also allowed to have our dogs there and forget the leash. They loved having us as well as our dogs. As long as the dogs sisn't bother the horses they were allowed to roam free which is understandable. The view of the mountains was spectacular and the horse back riding was amazing. The ladies here have done a wonderful job at creating a superb out door experience as well as a comforting environment to bring your family friends and even fur kids. I advise everyone if you want a great place to stay that is not too far from the Rockies and Jasper then this is your place.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed in one of their separate cabins that was very sweet. It was old, the decor was old but it had everything we needed. No frills. Internet connection was very slow and sometimes we couldn't get connected. The price was right.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2010

we came with three kids for hiking, but breakfast is served only from 8am. we asked if possible to eat earlier, or leave us a basket with things outside earlier, or refund us for breakfast - not only there was no flexibility, we were even scolded for not showing up for breakfast ...!
when I said that the door wouldn't lock, we were spoken to in a derogatory and arrogant way "I will come and show you how we lock doors here in Canada".
Other than that, beautiful place and surroundings, comfi and clean cabin, well equipped.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank shell72
oldentrance, Owner at Old Entrance B 'n B Cabins & Teepees, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

We’ve recently double checked by e-mail to see if this guest had misunderstood at the time of booking about breakfast being included in the nightly rate for this cabin. They have reassured us that there was no confusion in this regard. They received a detailed e-mail reservation confirmation within 24 hours of their reservation deposit being received, four months in advance. Upon arrival they demanded a price reduction to omit breakfast. When this request was declined, they requested breakfast at 7:00 am in order to take their young family out hiking. Our policy is breakfast is to be eaten in our main house between 8:00 am and 10:00 am and breakfast food is not to be bagged up for take away. We did encourage this family to come in promptly at 8:00 am, but they refused. All our exterior doors have functional locks, plus an interior security chain or latch for privacy. The style of locking door knob on this cabin locks without a key, prior to closing the door the inside knob is just pushed in and turned to lock. This disgruntled guest still insists this door could not be locked. Specific written instructions for each cabin are posted on bulletin boards in each cabin.

Reviewed September 30, 2010

I and my children stayed in a teepee #2, just to experience a teepee camping.

Old Entrance website gives a very detailed information about the teepee, so it was easy to get prepared for the trip.

Our teepee was very well kept and very very well equipped. I could find everything I would need, from a double size mattress to a box of match for the wooden stove. We just needed our sleeping bags, and with the stove inside, the teepee wasn't cold at all. I could park my vehicle right next to the teepee, which saved me a lot of work to move things around. The surrounding was really beautiful and calming, and owner's dog Rosie came to play with us several times.

There were two hammocks on the beach, and a big trampoline right next to one of the cabins. We had a lot of fun on the trampoline.

The shower house for teepee campers was clean and well equipped, so we had no problem using it at all.

We tried their famous breakfast mainly out of curiosity, and one of the ladies offered my girls warm chocolate milk which was very welcoming and nice. But I think I would enjoy cooking our own breakfast at our teepee as well on a nice day. But it was nice to have a chance to look at the mainhouse.

We also tried one hour horseback ride, and to my surprise, the scenery was very nice. It went quite uphill and downhill, and along the river bank, but the horses knew the trail very well, it felt pretty safe. Guides were both at the head and the tail of the group, so we felt secure too.

I read about the train comment, but the train sound didn't bother me at all, not to mention it didn't wake me up. Also about Mary's 'sour face' that another reviewer mentioned, I noticed she didn't smile a lot when I talked to her or asked her questions, but I thought that's just the way she was. I didn't feel offended or whatnot.

Generally, our teepee camping was really good, and my girls wanted to come back there. My daughter mentioned lying in the hammock on the beach was very relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank xiahburning
Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the mainhouse suite for 9 days and loved it. A charming and cosy place like nothing I've seen before. Wonderful atmosphere. Great people. Almost like home! And the surroundings are spectacular. If you love horses and nature - this is the place to spend your holiday. I warmly recommend it.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kiki0902
Reviewed September 27, 2010

This is a great place! It sits on the edge of the Athabasca River in beautiful surroundings (even in the rain!) with charming hosts Mary and Carol's horses grazing around the cabins, and the chance (but not for us sadly) of seeing the odd bear stroll by. We stayed for four delightful days in the comfortable and spacious White Cabin (complete with piano, porch, and visits from the friendly little marmalade cat). This was clearly an older building, with lots of recent updates, new roof, extended porch, central heating etc. For those who are Francophiles, the interior reminded us of a rural French Gite There was mention in one TA review that the nearby trains were a problem at night if staying in one of the tepees, but we honestly could hardly hear them from our cabin (which was fairly near the tepees) and certainly never lost sleep in our very comfortable bed! Very good breakfasts included (amongst lots of other things) yummy home-made granola and fresh-baked muffins. We stayed in all sorts of places on our recent Canadian trip, and this rates as one of the best and most "different".

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Surrey_Travellers_14
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed here in one of the teepees a couple of years ago. It was very beautiful and well kept. However, I felt under constant scrutiny; from the owners sour faces I felt I had somehow offended them. I was traveling with quiet middle aged ladies so this was somewhat baffling. On September 26,2010 I stopped in after a visit to the Black Cat Ranch up the road, where we had spent a wonderful weekend with some welcoming hosts. We being a group of fairly well traveled individuals from Canada and Europe. I had thought to propose the Old Entrance as a possibility for a future trip. However, our feet had barely hit the ground from our vehicle when one of the business operators yelled and furiously signaled us from the office. After trekking up the hill to meet her scowling face, we were abruptly told they had no vacancy and when we explained our mission we were told to wait on the stoop and we would get a brochure. When we asked if we could look at one of the teepees we were told - No, there were people staying in them. There were no cars or any signs of people near any of the buildings. As we got back into the car - my friend commented that for such a competitive business it seemed foolish to treat potential customers so badly. She pointed out that the 4 of us would never recommend a visit to Old Entrance because of the cold reception we had been treated to. If you want well cut grass and cold reception you may consider Old Entrance. If you want to enjoy yourself - go to Black Cat.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank luvcanadaroadtips
oldentrance, Owner at Old Entrance B 'n B Cabins & Teepees, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2010

We welcome B&B guests from around the world to share in the tranquil environment of our PRIVATE home and property. A large sign at our main gate driveway directs "All Visitors Report to Office". For protection of privacy and property (both ours and guests') we do not allow the general public to just stroll about the grounds freely. Fortunately, the vast majority of guests and visitors "get it" have a healthy respect for both personal space and private property. Old Entrance is not a public roadway, hotel resort or park. The ratings given by this individual regarding cleanliness, location, quality of sleep etc. are clearly contradictory to her commentary. As a side note: we do not prevent hikers, bicyclers or horseback riders from passing across our private land on one main trail, however the courteous and respectful either phone first for permission or do stop in at the office as requested.