“Disappointed”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Hinton
Edmonton, Canada
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

OK, here's the straight bill of goods. Pulled up, went to front desk to check in, guy at the front desk looks to be in early 20's tells me he's the manager. No offence to young people, but in order to manage something you need experience. Just by his age, that would be impossible. We go to our room, looks decent enough but wake up in the morning with some kind of bugs crawling through the room. I catch one, put it in a folded piece of paper and bring it to the front desk. I show it to this manager who quickly responds that it is only a water beetle and it is because their hot water tank is leaking and hasn't been fixed. How long would it have to leak for bugs to form is the first thought that crosses my mind, and why haven't you fixed that already. Also, a quick internet check on my part verifies that this is no water beetle. That didn't make me feel any better, but I'm really not sure what they were, but at least it didn't seem to match the picture of bed bugs! Anyway he says he'll have his staff check it out while we are out for the day. We go from the front desk over to the breakfast area and the first bagel we put in the toaster just sits their because the toaster is broken. Now I'm really not impressed, but as I've prepaid with the no refund option, I feel I am stuck. We go out for a pleasant day and come back to a room that has been sprayed with Raid. All the windows are closed, no fan running, and a nice pungent smell of spray. We open all the windows and leave the fan running and go out for supper for a couple of hours to let the room air out. When we come back the smell is still present but much better. I could have asked for another room, but apparently everything that would accommodate 3 adults was booked. There's that trapped feeling again. The next day when we checked out we were not asked about our stay or if everything was OK, I guess they make sure anybody that has any problems doesn't get asked. I think some sort of adjustment on the billing would have been an effort or attempt at customer satisfaction and I really don't consider myself one who goes out of his way to complain, but now I get to write this review. It's hard to cover things up in this day and age, so I thought I would let others know of my experience. Try another place to stay. Good luck!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joe D
Ian W, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Hinton, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. I'm sorry you were unhappy and what more can I say that you haven't already said. There is no excuse for shoddy management and house keeping but we have to work with what we have. We accommodate hundreds of rooms per month and try to provide quality accommodations at reasonable prices and sometimes we fall down. Unfortunately you were there during a lull in our service but rest assured the items you brought up have been addressed to the best of our ability. Again I'm sorry you were unhappy.
Ian W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel you get what you pay for - our air conditioner was noisy all night, and the fridge made weird noises first thing in the morning. Service staff was friendly, bed ok, free continental breakfast. I'd only stay here again if I had to.

• Stayed August 2013
Ian W, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Hinton, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry we did not come up to the standard you expected but we try and provide quality accommodation at reasonable rates and some time we fall short. Again I'm sorry you were not happy.
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Days Inn Hinton promised a non-smoking room. Our non-smoking room was on a smoking floor, next door and across from smoking rooms. The whole hotel smells like cigarette smoke. The manager had turned off the heat despite the fact that it was 5 C outside and told us that he was not turning it back on. The room we were supposed to stay in was less than 10 C and smoky. The desk clerk was helpful but this place was horrible. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review our property. We are sorry you were unhappy with your room and in a perfect society with no smokers and warm days you would have no issues. But this is hardly a perfect society, there are still smokers and older properties such as ours have heat boilers that have to be shut during warm summer months or it would be impossible to cool the rooms. It is impossible just to flick a switch and have instant heat so we must put up with cool nights and warm days which effected your stay. I apologize but can do nothing about global warming.
Ian W

Travelers are raving about these Hinton hotels