“Don't Expect Much”

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Hinton
Edmonton, Canada
“Don't Expect Much”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Unfortunately, our one-night stay this past weekend was not great. The hotel itself is quite run down, particularly noticeable in the furniture in our suite, which was a surprise considering I've stayed in other Super 8's that were much nicer quality. The bed was fine, but the pillows very flat. Our main concern though was the hot tub and pool area - upon checking in we were told that the pool and hot tub had just been cleaned, and so they were both not as warm yet as one might expect, but that was fine with us. We had just come in from skiing so we went straight to the hot tub. Unfortunately, we noticed right away the strong chemical smell but not having owned hot tubs ourselves we assumed that was due to the cleaning and that it would dissipate. It didn't, and we had burning eyes and throats in a matter of 5 to 10 minutes, and a very mild chemical burn on our lower halves that made us very red and itchy. When my husband informed the front desk and suggested not to let others use the hot tub, the lady told him everyone is usually red after a hot tub because it's hot, but she would have someone come to check the Ph levels. It initially surprised him that they didn't have their own simple litmus test handy, if they were the ones managing the pool. In any case, when we went through the front later to get dinner, we noticed people in the pool area and the door was cracked so the entire front entrance smelled like chemicals; obviously our concerns were ignored. Us and our friends thought this a very poor reaction to our legitimate concerns, and we were surprised also that nothing was offered in way of compensation for the discomfort of sore throats and rashy legs due to their hot tub maintenance. We were also disappointed in the morning when we went for breakfast by 7am, and they didn't have any yogurt left (though we saw others eating yogurt). All they offer is a very basic continental breakfast, so we don't see why it shouldn't be fully stocked. This would normally be a small issue, but in combination with the bad hot tub experience, this just topped it off. We will not be staying here again. My friend's legs are still rashy and are now peeling and he intends to write the managers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Karen L, General Manager at Super 8 Hinton, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your comments. In fact all precautions were taken, 1st was the closing of the Hot Tub. I did the testing on it which was done within 10 mins of your concerns. All checks were normal and definitely not toxic.
It was suggested your friends seek medical treatment at the moment their concerns were voiced. They declined. Several others used the hot tub during that day and we had no other issues.
I am sorry they experienced skin irritation, but please rest assured, every possible precaution was taken to ensure the health and safety of our guests.
Have a great day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel is extremely run down. There are chunks of tile missing off of walls in the pool. Door jambs in there are completely rotted out...how it is not a health hazard is beyond me! The heat in the pool was intolerable for anyone who needs to supervise young children at pool side. Our 8 year old girls were complaining that their throats were on fire while they were swimming. They repeatedly got out of the pool and went into the shower to "cool" off their mouths/throats. I personally fear that the chlorine levels were toxic, and wish I would I would have taken the girls out of the water sooner. My daughter still has a sore throat and it's been 5 days. One of the girls had a panic after exiting the pool because it was too difficult for her to breathe. We were told that pool levels were automatically regulated, and there can't be a problem with them (extremely dismissive staff member). I'm thinking that burning throats and difficulty breathing insinuates otherwise! The hot tub was not even operating when we got there. There were chunks of tile missing in it as well. If you have children, or enjoy using a swimming pool or hot tub...this is NOT your place to stay. They make you pay for your entire stay upon checking in...getting a refund so we could relocate was difficult. Our entire team was booked to stay there, and they didn't want to lose the business. We had to fight to cancel our bookings without getting charged due to 24 hour notice penalty...AND THE SWIMMING FACILITY WASN'T EVEN SAFE TO USE...seriously?! There was only 1 helpful staff member on site who did eventually refund our prepaid nights to come. We went to the Holiday Inn, and enjoyed our stay...and the pool...immensely!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Karen L, General Manager at Super 8 Hinton, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
I am sorry to hear your stay was not satisfactory. We are definitely an older Motel and renovations are under the go. We postponed pool area reno's in order to accommodate our teams as they requested pool usage.
Due to complaints from guests, as a precautionary measure, the pool area was closed until we could have it looked at and chemicals checked by a health inspector and pool operator.
By 7am the following morning pool conditions were checked and everything was exactly were it should be. No issues were found that could have harmed anyone in anyway and definitely not toxic.
Our hot tub was unfortunately down as we were waiting for servicing that must come from the city. I am sorry this was not available to you at the time. Seeing the hot tub is made of a molded material, there could not have been chunks of tile missing.
It was brought to my attention the manner in which 1 employee displayed and I have corrected the issue.
I am pleased to find out my Assistant made sure your bookings were cancelled immediately as requested.

Travelers are raving about these Hinton hotels

Red Deer
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I used to stay at this Super 8 all the time as it has a pool. The last 3 visits have been lousy to say the least. As a result, I have started staying at the Days Inn, but thought that I would give it another try. Not impressed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Karen L, General Manager at Super 8 Hinton, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
We are so sorry to hear your stay was not as expected. I would have loved to hear from you to see what your concerns were.
We are presently undergoing renovations in the motel to update may things. We do hope to see you back in the near future.
Have a super day!
Lodz, Poland
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just a regular, good price motel with standard breakfast. No fireworks whatsoever, but a tidy and cosy place to spend couple nights. We spent there one night, arrived late, left early. Bed was comfortable and that's what we needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank for your comment. It is always a pleasure hearing from our valued guests.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Have a supper day!
Grand Prairie 000
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Friendly staff, though room was very warm 1st nite and cold 2nd nite, very cold in hallway.
Biggest problem, hot tub ruined my daughter's $60 bathing suit, totally faded the part that was immersed in water. Hard on eyes for everyone in pool area and hard to breath for 2 of my children after out of pool. Spoke about this to manager and she said levels are automated, and have been checked and checked, I know she was baffled by this and was doing what she could, and she shut down hot tub as other guests were having problems too. I had to mention my reimbursement 3 times to diff staff and mentioned it at check-out when she knew nothing about it and made a phone call & did reimburse me in the end. Staff did want to help me but was not efficient at communicating the reimbursement.
Also as we are a family of 5 we needed a cot, which we paid an extra $15 for. My son did not use it as you could totally feel the springs in it. He just slept on the floor which he claimed was better.
The good things are that the pool was nice and warm and the baking was a nice touch. And the staff was concerned and wanted to help us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Karen L, General Manager at Super 8 Hinton, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It is always a pleasure hearing from our valued guests so we can make improvements in order to accommodate our guest much better.
I am happy to tell you, I had people in to check the entire system and as I thought, everything was running as should have been.
Levels for a chemicals were definitely at acceptable levels.
As for the bathing suit, I do apologize. My staff is not authorized to give refunds without my consent. Upon my return they did contact me and I gave them permission to do so.
I noticed the cot frame in the hallway and figured the mattress was just placed on the floor. Cots are not the most comfortable type of bed to sleep on, that is true.
I am glad to hear my staff was helpful to you and your family.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Have a SUPER DAY!