“Good enough”
Review of White Wolf Inn

White Wolf Inn
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Hinton
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This Best Western is an older building that has been recently upgraded. As a basic-service hotel, its pluses are:
. On the highway and easily visible/accessible.
. Pet-friendly and adjacent to forest trails that make for a nice stroll for pups.
. Exceptionally friendly down-home helpful staff.
. Clean and recently updated.
. Free wifi.
. Fabulous breakfast.

It's down-side is that despite the upgrades, it is still an older building with the usual problems accompanied by older construction and poorer soundproofing, so we could hear noises from the room next door. Rooms are accessed through outdoor promenades and that adds a little to the noise. On the upside, rooms at the back of the hotel get no highway traffic noise.

The place was troubled with a moth infestation when we were there, but this is a problem through the whole region at the moment, so no one can fault the hotel for this. An earlier reviewer said that windowsills had dead moths, and it appears that the cleaning staff have taken note of this as we didn't find any accumulation of dead moths in our room. Staff say that being next to a forest adds to the problem.

We booked into this hotel because we couldn't find any other hotel available that would allow pets, and so kudos to Best Western for making pets one of their priorities for travelers. Despite the mid-range rating I am giving this property, it is still an acceptable one-night stay for the mile-munching traveler just looking for a place to stop. Still, it is a tad over-priced.

The hot breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the building are next to a forest and therefore quieter than those facing the h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy H, General Manager at White Wolf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your review. Unfortunately we had and are still having an issue with moths this summer it has made it quite tricky to keeping them under control. Hopefully it will not last long. I am also glad that you were able to bring your pet. We are pet friendly but not all our rooms are so I am glad you were able to get one. Hope you come again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Usually I like staying at Best Western, but this time it was a disappointment. The room was not welcoming, and the layout was weird: the toilet and shower were divided into two separate stalls, the two beds were across from each other instead of next to each other, there was no complimentary lotion in the bathroom, the AC wasn't working, and the breakfast room was also unwelcoming and small. The staff was not very friendly, they seemed aloof. Not a place I would recommend. Next time I'll pick Nova Inn, which is nearby and looked a lot more inviting. The front desk staff seemed friendlier, and best of all, the price was a little cheaper than at Best Western.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am very sorry that you were dissapointed in your stay with us. We do have some very different room lay-outs that some people like and others don't. I am also sorry that you were not treated right by the staff,I strive to provide the best possible customer service and will be taking steps so that this does not happen again. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you that youe experience can be more positive.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rooms were okay. Not so clean. The hotel staff were extremely unhelpful and aloof. Wifi wasnt working but the staff did not offer any suggestions/solutions. There was a computer in the lobby but not offered until I saw it in the lobby and then to offered reluctantly

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am sorry that your stay was not a positive one with us. The internet unfortunately was an issue with our server and they are looking at correcting the issue. I am dissapointed that my staff was not more helpful with your issues and I will look into this problem and talk to those invloved so that this does not happen again. |I would like you to give us another try to show that we can provide quality service.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Very clean, well kept room. Staff were helpful and friendly. My daughter spilled cranberry juice on her white skirt so I left it to soak in the sink and when we returned to the room at the end of the day, the skirt was cleaned and left to dry. No stain. Overall, excellent stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Tracy H, General Manager at White Wolf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. I have passed your message to the lady whom helped you out with the skirt.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife had booked this hotel several weeks before our trip to Jasper and surrounding national park in an effort to sidestep the exorbitant cost of staying in Jasper itself.
On arrival all was in order, the room was acceptable, appointed with the standard amenities, a small fridge, microwave, flat screen tv. It seemed on first inspection to be overall neat and clean.
The room was on the back side of the hotel, the parking lot fringed by a forested area. As we approached the room we noticed quit a few moths attached to the stucco siding. After awhile of being in the room it became apparent that they had also invaded the room itself, not just in the obvious areas but also hiding in every dark area they could find, bathroom, behind appliances furniture, headboards etc. We spent a lot of time killing these little creatures, only in the evening to be confronted again after we turned on the AC to which the little winged critters flew out! >:(
Fortunately my wife handles these issues very well, but I can imagine some would have been somewhat disturbed, and rightfully so.
The next morning as we observed the staff cleaning the rooms it became apparent that the close proximity to the forest combined with the standard procedure of leaving the doors open as they cleaned would definitely account for some of the infestation, however the AC units could have been a contributing factor as well. The window sill in the room could have received some cleaning attention as well, as it was littered with mosquito and moth corpses.
All that said, the stay was acceptable for the moderately priced hotel it was seeing its proximity to Jasper and the national park.
The staff was very pleasant and helpful, I'm absolutely positive had we made them aware of the issue we had they would have been more than happy to address it. However unless its a huge problem we tend try to handle it ourselves.
On an upbeat note the continental breakfast was great, we are late riser's and there was still a adequate selection left when we arrived 30 minutes prior to its finish.
A side note this hotel seems to be largely patronized by companies using it to accommodate their workers on a daily basis, this didn't seem to cause a problem on our visit, just FYI.
We had a good rest, it was quiet and safe, isn't that what its all about anyway.
We would recommend it.

Room Tip: The above ratings reflect the overall stay, the moth issue aside, as it is a seasonally sporadic eve...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy H, General Manager at White Wolf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. The moths unfortunately were a problem this year. We were and still are taking extra care in keeping them out of the guest rooms, outside in the hallways and walls are enough. I really enjoyed the feedback on our breakfast, as it is still relatively new (the hot part of it). Hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had to take a break driving to Vancouver so stayed at this Best Western. Since we were traveling with dogs it narrowed our selection of rooms. They don't assign you to a smoking rooms just for having a pet (although you are charged extra), everything was clean and there is direct outside access to a large walking area adjacent to the hotel. Breakfast was a nice selection of hot and cold items with fresh waffles available. The breakfast room was a little crowded though.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Tracy H, General Manager at White Wolf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer a few pet non-smoking rooms as well as pet smoking rooms, we really try to accomodate all those travelling with pets. Being backed by park reserve makes it a real convienence.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I would like to thank Tracy the GM for Her Excellent hospitality. I would be happy to highly recommend this Inn. Fran on the desk was also very helpful. Kudo's to a well run Inn Tracy. I thoroughly enjoyed the cleanliness, comfortable bed, fridge and microwave.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give us your servey. All the staff try to make each guests stay a pleasurable experience. I hope that you will come visit us again.