“Gouged by Expedia and hotel in disrepair!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Hinton

Holiday Inn Hinton
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Hinton
“Gouged by Expedia and hotel in disrepair!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

After a long trail ride in Jasper, which was great, I looked forward to a hot tub soak. I had paid $172 for what was advertised as a high end establishment and a surprise for my fiancee. When we got there I was greeted by a very pompous front desk attendant, but ok, we carried on. As we passed the pool we saw a sign that said hot tub closed. Very dissapointing but ok, life carries on. Opened the window, and there is a wall 2 feet directly away and a bunch of broken down heaters buckets and scrat pieces of wood and metal. Wow. The next morning we woke and my fiancee proceeded to have a shower which didn't work at all! That was the last straw. In asking for a refund at the front desk I was told that I had to call Expedia to get a refund which I did only to find out that Expedia had billed me $50 more than the hotel's actual rate...frustrated with both!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Jimmyirish69
Hinton707, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hinton, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experiences during your recent stay with us. I have reviewed your comments with the team and I want to ensure you that we will be following up with the individual departments involved.

Also, I want you to know that I completely understand your frustration and I am glad that you received your refund for the room I just wish it had been a smoother transaction for you.

Once again thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Carolyn Boisvert - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I can say that all the staff and manager MR.Dilshard, were very helpfull, in making my stay
very comfortable.the location of the hotel is perfect.i have never had a problem getting a room
here.there is always lots of parking. the resturant is open late and has a great selection of food
The indoor pool is perfectly centered in th hotel. I also like that the hotel is keeping up with upgrading the rooms, with new beds ,tv,and flooring.

Room Tip: rooms on lower floors are cooler in summer
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jim l
Thank you for your great review. I am so happy that Dilshard was so accommodating and helpful and will be sure to pass along these comments to him.
Everett, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We were not very impressed with this hotel. There were a number of little things that added up to a not enjoyable stay. Although the rooms were decently clean, this was obviously an older hotel, with that old building smell. Our room was supposed to non smoking, but it smelled like it had once been a smoking room. The bathroom fan did not work, the lamp at the bedside didn't work and the Kleenex box had one Kleenex! The beds were rock hard, and I like a firm mattress. These were hard enough, we could barely get out of bed in the morning. We decided to eat in the hotel lounge instead of going out as we had been on the road for 12 hours and were just ready to stop. My husband ordered a double shot drink and watched the waitress "eyeball" the measure, bringing him a drink that looked even less than one shot ( and charged him for the double). I ordered a meal that was supposed to come on a bed of rice. It came on noodles without anyone telling me there would be a substitution or offer me a chance to order something different. We will not be going back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kat S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hinton, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Kat S,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for the hotel conditions that did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the bathroom conditions and the beds have been documented and will be taken into consideration for future upgrades. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My trip was to go to Jasper with the kids for the weekend. I am a single mom of three boys so my budget is limited. I wanted to take my kids to the hot springs and go for a trail walk. We stayed at the Holiday Inn. The room was spacious, clean and the rate was in my budget. The food at the resturant was a decent price and it actually filled my boys bellies (which believe me is hard to do sometimes). I would recommend this hotel over and over again for everyone.

Room Tip: They do have rooms to accomodate in between age kids like (12, 14 and 16 year olds) and mom...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kim C
Hinton707, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hinton, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Wow! thank you so much for the wonderful review that can be shared with other travellers. Your comments are exactly what the Holiday Inn brand sets out to do so I feel extremely pleased and will pass this information along to the team.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this location on May 19-20th, 2013. Due to the Victoria Day long weekend, most hotels in Jasper were booked, or overpriced. The drive back to Jasper is a little over an hour, but the glimpse of the Rockies along the way, as well as the wildlife while passing through Jasper was well worth the drive.

The hotel was clean, staff friendly, and the property is very well kept. No complaints. A few places to eat in the area, and a Walmart and other necessities nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Neotek618
Hinton707, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hinton, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and I do agree that the drive from Jasper is well worth it. Over the years I have heard this comment many times and I now share it with all travellers. Once again thank you and I hope you will choose Holiday Inn Hinton next time you are in the area.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were visiting Jasper for May Long weekend and the hotels in Jasper were booked up or did not have a pool so we decided to stay in Hinton and try out the Holiday Inn.

We got a rate on Hotwire and checked in. We had booked a 2 Queen room and when we got there Hotwire and reserved a 2 double room so I mention this and Barbra at the front desk said no problem and found us a 2 Queen that was reasonable distance from the pool and upstairs so it was quieter! Thanks Barbra!

Our room was a decent size and the beds were comfortable. The washroom was quite small, but typical for the room type and hotel type. Everything was very clean and updated.

We ordered room service for dinner and the attendant was happy and friendly and our order came very quickly. The fool was great I though. A little expensive, but that's room service for ya! The gravy was excellent and we enjoyed our meal (2 steak sandwiches and a grilled cheese for our 1 year old).

The pool area is great! We went down and it is mostly windows to outside so there is lots of natural light. The pool was fine. Cold at first but once you're in, it's fine. Unless you are 1 like my daughter, she got cold after about 5-10 mins in the pool and shivered. But for most kids and adults its great. The waterslide was fun! Not super high but gets going very fast and is quite enjoyable! The hot tub is so hot you get in in stages but wonderfully relaxing when you are all the way in :) There is also a sauna. It is not too hot in there (maybe if you turn the steam on when you get to the pool area and wait 10-15 mins it would be quite hot?) but it was perfect for warming up my young daughter :)

There are washrooms in the pool area with separate (door close & lock) shower stalls which I thought was a nice handy touch.

When we checked out Barbra was again at the front desk and cheerful and helpful as we left. Offered info on the hotel and Jasper activities if we needed it. We went out and hiked in Jasper and when we got to Hinton decided to spend another night at the Holiday Inn as the previous night was great and we were too tired to drive back to Edmonton.

Check in was easy and fast again. This time we had a One King Room on the first floor. It was a farther jaunt from the lobby/pool area but nice and quiet. The King bed was way more comfortable than the 2 Queens (maybe newer?) and the washroom was larger and easier to operate in. Again we had a good night and a wonderful sleep.

The Holiday Inn is maybe older than the new Holiday Inn Express down the road but for $30 cheaper it has a similar pool and a restaurant that the Express does not have. It is a much better value to stay here then the Express.

Room Tip: Room 220 is 2 queen beds. There is no elevator but not many stairs. It is fairly close to the pool/l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kim S
These are the reviews that make my day. I am so pleased that Barbara was accommodating and that your stay was an enjoyable one. Thank you you for sharing with other travellers.
Grande Prairie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

For a non-smoking room, you sure do get quite a stench of stale smokey air. I guess it's not surprising, considering the type of guests that normally pass through, but perhaps better ventilation or a more rigorous Febreezing may do something about it. Aside from the smell, the room was dark and sort of dirty. I may have gotten some sort of bug bite in that room--can't be certain--but the wound lasted over a month

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kwonger
First of all thank you for your review and I am terribly sorry for the experience you had during your stay with us. According to this review you stayed with us June 2012 so it is very difficult to go back and access the room. I would like you to know that last month the Holiday Inn Hinton went 100% smoke free so I hope some of these issues will be eliminated in the future. Once again thank you.