“Can't get passed the smelly blankets”

Best Western Bakerview Inn
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Abbotsford
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was a last-minute decision by my husband and I - we were on a roadtrip and decided to stay here because a) Best Western usually has a good reputation, and b) they allowed pets (we have one dog). Price seemed ok until we saw the room, def overpriced for what we got but we were tired and happy to have found a room at midnight!
Got into bed, pulled the covers up and unfortunately they had a strong BODY ODOR smell. This tells me they were not washed and we were repulsed. Will never stay here again, and must warn others.....
(also not sound proof and could hear everyone coming and going at all hours of the night outside ... did not sleep well that night, needless to say).

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
euphamia, General Manager at Best Western Bakerview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Please accept my apologies for the issues that occurred during your stay with us in April. It has always been our policy to change and wash blankets daily. While it is difficult for me to discover exactly what occurred after the fact please be assured that the Executive Housekeeper does inspect rooms daily and although it has never occurred to us to actually smell the blankets it will definitely be added to the inspection list.
I am sorry to hear that there were noise issues the night you stayed with us. I do hope that you let our Night Auditor know so that they could investigate and put a stop to anything that was occurring.
Once again please accept my apologies.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Third time staying here and was so dissappointed with the noise and lack of security. Went to bed at 10:00 pm and maybe got three hours of broken sleep. The outer wooden walkway is very loud past your room it sounds like they are coming in at any moment. The worst though was the inconsiderate loud talking constantly outside our room from various people all through the night. The police had shown up two times to my knowledge this evening and I'm pretty certain it wasn't because the front desk called them, I believe it was because the guests called them. Stuck my head out the door to get them to move along only to see other guests with their heads out the door as well. Spoke to the front desk the next morning and they had some young girl who seemed oblivious and was unable to do more than apologize, not her fault.
Do not stay here as there are quieter places in Abbotsford that value your hard earned dollar. Has turned into a party place after hours, too sad.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
euphamia, General Manager at Best Western Bakerview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Please accept my apologies for the incident during your stay. As soon as the Front Desk Agent learned of the disturbance she did called the police however their response time was not as quick as it could have been. This is not a normal occurance for us and partying in this Inn is not tolerated.
If you have a moment can you please email me at janice@shawcable.com or call me at 1-604-859-1341 and ask for Janice. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you so that we can resolve this to your satisfaction.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

This is my second stay: it is clean, it is new, it is comfortable. It is close to the freeway, restaurants and all the big box stores on Sumas Way. Therefore close to the Canada-US border.

Not surprised with the disgruntled visitors who have written complaints: people love to complain but when you pay for a 2 1/2 star hotel or go through Priceline you're going to get a 2 1/2 star hotel. So if you want a 5 star hotel at 2 1/2 star prices than don't come here. There's nothing wrong with the hotel except it's location but there's nothing much you can do about that. They clearly didn't purchase the most expensive carpet or furniture so if you're looking for plush carpets, oak furniture and a hotel which blocks the noise [this is a motel] DON'T come here.

I've been on Priceline and got a 2 1/2 star in Quebec: I wish I had a place like this but I got a 1 star claiming to be a 2 1/2. There is nothing wrong with this motel. If you're a light sleeper bring ear plugs [close to main roads] or leave a radio on which I did and I fell asleep like a baby: problem solved!! Easy!

When you open the door to your room, walk in and close the door you'll be relieved and thankful. Ignore the chronic complainers: they're the guests from he*l and perhaps never been anywhere. I've travelled all around the world and I'd come here again without concern.

Room Tip: No tips just expect a 2 1/2 star hotel
  • Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank ricky2
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I expect a lot more from Best Western. This place looks like an old Motel 6, complete with stained carpets, cracked plaster, and poor construction with no thought given to soundproofing. Every vehicle that went by on the highway was clearly audible. If this was a $29/night flop house it would be acceptable, however, Best Western has seen fit to slap their brand on it and charge Best Western prices...they should be ashamed of themselves. There is a spot below on the webpage where it asks if I would recommend this hotel to a friend. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to an enemy.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nocte_volens
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past.No complaints.Beautiful view of Mt.Baker.Located close to a good selection of restaurants.Friendly,helpful staff.If you go here though dont leave a thing in your vehicle.We had a trunkload of Christmas presents stolen whilst we slept meters from our car.Needless to say.........we should have known better.But although this bad experience wont deter us from staying here in the future i wanted to warn others.Dont make the same mistake we did.Take anything of value in with you.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sookeboi
euphamia, General Manager at Best Western Bakerview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased that you felt that the rest of your stay , as well as previous stays,was good and that you would stay with us again.
I was also very pleased to see that there was no damage to your vehicle. This type of incident is a very rare occurance at our Inn and although we do security rounds every night on a frequent basis it is difficult sometimes to catch these kinds of people.
As you know we did try to contact the police but they would not take a report from us however you will be pleased to know that the people involved in your car break in were caught at another location and have been charged.
We are looking forward to serving y ou again.

Reviewed May 28, 2010

The layout of the room offers a living room then a bathroom and then the bedroom.This is good when you are traveling with a spouse and you want to go to sleep and she doesn"t. There was an air conditioner and a fridge but the fridge needed defrosting.On the bed they had a bath robe for people who would like one and they had various toiletries on the sink.
The front desk offers coffee and internet access with a (printer!) which you don"t find in a lot of motels.The best part of the motel is the staff which we found to go out of their way to try to help you or to solve any problems

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Nothing exceptional about this place. The rooms are basic, paint job is terrible and there is no air conditioning.
staff are helpful.
Have stayed twice. the first timewe found the previous guests food still in the fridge and the staff were exceptionaly sorry and offered a 50percent discount for the room. That particular room also had a very poor layout. as they attempted to upgrade furnishings. To much furniture for the smaller room.
The location is noisey being on major road and freeway.
Visit Sammy J peppers next door for good food and drink.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple