“Food and Presentation Excellent!”

Umami Sushi Langley
Ranked #103 of 303 Restaurants in Langley City
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Umami Sushi was excellent! The Lion Dance roll was beautiful to look at and wonderful to eat! We were in a group of 6, ages 5 to 45 and ordered rolls, tempura veggies, a lunchbox, miso soup and sunomono salad. Portions were large and we all left stuffed. Efficient and attentive staff, even though it was busy. Highly recommend this one.

2  Thank WestbankJeff

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

My mom is gluten resistant. She has liver disease and ends up in hospital if she eats gluten.

We went to umami sushi (party of five). There were only two other patrons. Five workers are standing there staring into the sky! I assumed we will get great service.

We ordered some ginger ale. The glass had clearly visible marks of the lips of a person. I shouted it to the waitress. She took my glass and wiped the mouth of the glass with a cloth and returned the same drink. Not wanting to upset the family i did not complain.

I asked if they can replace the gioza to something else. Waitress said we had to pay extra but we could choose any appetizer. I agreed.

Whatever appetizer i selected she said we could not have. I asked her these are appeTizers and you said any appetizer is fine but I'm responsible for any cost difference. She just stays quiet.

So i offered to pay for the drinks and leave. She asked me to wait.

She went and called the older woman in the restaurant. Older woman came and asked what i want. I explained it all again including diet restrictions. She said we can't order any other item, even if we pay extra.

So i said please give us the bill we want to leave. She did not want us to leave. So she asked me to wait. ..again. and she goes to the boss who is standing there doing jack s#@* and he rules: indeed replacing the gioza with tofu or anything else is out of question.

This management does not understand few things:
1- that restaurant business is the service industry, a term evidently not familiar to the Korean owners of this place.
2- gluten resistant people can die from exposure to gluten. Any restaurateur should learn that before they open for business.
3- from a business perspective the cost of tofu or edamame is less than cost of gioza and i was willing to pay extra!

What is wrong with these people???

You must be nuts to go to this place for food. It is dirty unsanitary and you have to humble yourself before the majesty and pride of His Lordship the owner only to be rejected. Crrrrrazy!

1  Thank Kam V
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I've been going to this restaurant ever since it first opened ! The food is fresh and the service is great ! The food presentation is a real art form . I often stop in for a quick lunch either by myself or with a friend and get the same treatment either way ! :) I also have ordered for pick up and get the same service when I pick up!

3  Thank Lyne M