“Excellent staff made all the difference”

Sandman Hotel - Langley
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Langley City
British Columbia
“Excellent staff made all the difference”
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We stayed at the Sandman Langley for one night during the August long weekend, on our way to Vancouver. I had booked the Sandman because everything else in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond was booked solid.

We arrived after a full day of driving in hot weather and were absolutely exhausted when we presented ourselves at the front desk. The young woman who served us greeted us very warmly and professionally. I explained that I was going to be paying for one room and that my aunt would be paying for the other. I also explained that my aunt doesn't speak English and that I would translate for her. The young woman immediately switched over to French (as she had heard us conversing in French as we entered) and "re-greeted" my aunt, welcoming her to the hotel, and then proceeded with the check-in in French.

I could tell that French was a second language for the young woman (I gladly filled in some words when she wasn't quite sure) but she really stepped up to the challenge and did her very best to make my aunt feel welcome. My aunt (who had travelled across the country to visit B.C.) was genuinely touched by this reception.

The hotel itself is centrally located in Langley. We found a number of restaurants and fast food places within a couple minutes walk. There were also various stores in the vicinity, should someone have forgotten something.

The rooms were standard Sandman quality. The bathroom was spacious and renovated and stocked with towels. The bed was on the firm side and we could feel the springs a bit, but we slept very well and woke up feeling great. There were a couple tables to spread our belongings out on which was nice. The TV came with pay-per-view and my ten year-old and I enjoyed relaxing and watching "Meet the Robinsons" before going to sleep. Overall, the room was clean, well-appointed, and perfectly suited for our overnight stay.

The next morning, our relatives wanted to eat breakfast at the adjoining Denny's so we headed over there. I'm not a big fan of the heavy breakfasts at Denny's but I will say that the service was extremely fast and very friendly.

After breakfast, I went to the front desk to check out. The reception I received from the man processing my check-out was so personable and warm. (I really wish I had taken names of the staff who served us so I could mention them here.) The front desk was a flurry of activity because of the influx of guests for the long weekend, but he made me feel like I was the only guest at the hotel. For a few moments, I felt like a regular person again and not a tourist who had another 2000 kilometres of family vacation to survive! :-)

• Liked — The excellent customer service
  • Disliked — The bed was a little on the hard side
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank helenlovejoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
vancouver, bc, canada
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Found the Staff to be amazingly friendly, especially the front office manager, Crystal. She was truly what every 5 star hotel needs on the customer service front. The room and bathroom was ok, average but clean. Don't expect the Ritz, but be happy that it's not the Motel 69! Secuirty guard walks around at night which was comforting as parking is outside. The Shark Club is attached to teh far end of the hotel which can make for a little noise on a Friday ro Saturday night. Overal very impressed! Currently undergoing some room/lobby upgrades but we did not experience any noise or problems...wouldn't even know they were upgrading!

Denny's Restaurant is also attached the the opposite end of the hotel and open 24 hrs so it is very convienent whenever you arrive. It's a short 5-10 min drive to downtown langley, it's beside a HUGE movie theatre and restaurants, etc. Great freeway location, right off 200th Street exit but no highway noise.

We were very happy and highly recommend this hotel. Previous posts seemed to be from a long time ago and probably out of date - it's great!

• Liked — Service levels - Crystal was amazing!
  • Disliked — Needs Updating...which is in progress but does not disrupt guests
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntsville
Reviewed October 8, 2005

I found this hotel while driving by.I decided to stay in Langley because while on the 3 hour drive to Kelowna I had to stop when my disabled/retarded 13 year old son started throwing up and showing signs that its time to stop driving for the day.It happens often during travelling with him.The first hotel I saw off the highway was the Sandman.I know and trust sandman.Well I did.First we checked if their Handicap accessible room was available.It was.So we booked it for the night.Service was proffessional,luggage was brought up by staff as soon as they saw our son.First thing,the wheelchair had trouble getting into the elevator.As soon as we got into the room our luggage was left in the room by staff and we thanked them for the service.We needed to change our sons diaper so we took out our changing pad and proceeded.During that a mean staff member/cleaning lady knocked on the door and said there was a smell complaint.My wife tried to close the door and comfront the lady in the hall but the lady was pushing the door and trying to talk to me in a rude voice looking right into my eyes.My son started kicking and making noise so invading our privacy the lady closed the door and walked INTO our room.Then I told her to "please leave the room".She said "OK Ill tell management" and left.My wife got upset and wanted to leave but we decided to just stay for the night since it takes time to move with our son.As soon as the diaper was changed I personally went outside to throw it out in the trash for no more "smell complaints".The room was OK but the walls were not good at all.Since my son has a mental disorder he sometimes screams cries and makes noise.That night he screamed.Not too loud but he did.Right after he started screaming a staff member came.She knocked loudly and talked loudly.It was upsetting for my son because she was looking and screaming to MY SON.He started crying and she just slammed the door.That was the last of the staff for that day.In the morning we were woken up by our son kicking at 6AM.(as usual when sleeping in the same room)We dressed up and got our son ready.Changed his diaper and threw it out outside.Then we left our room and proceeded to check out.At the desk the manager came out and the lady from last evening.The manager requested to the man at the desk for our room price to be highered and for us to pay 80$ FOR OUR SON!Kids under 14 normally stay free here.I didnt want to argue and payed the 257$they requested.I told them I will never come again and that I will ask for a full refund from Sandman Hotels.There was not even a free breakfast.We loaded our car up and headed for Vancouver.I will NEVER stay at a Sandman ever again,even without my son.

• Stayed April 2004
6 Thank llkHuntsville

Travelers are raving about these Langley City hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2005

We spent nine nights at the Sandman before/after our daughter's wedding. The staff could not have been more helpful to us. Our group had several rooms booked...they managed to get most of us on the same floor. The location was very convenient and easy to find for out-of-town guests. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Aloha, OR
Reviewed June 16, 2003

The Sandman Inn is extremely clean, the staff was very professional and helpful and the overall condition of the hotel was outstanding. However, the king size room was any thing but - in fact the bed took an overwhelming portion of the space - good incentive to get out as much as possible and explore the area. Great food at the sports bar, which is also a local favorite - Friday and Saturday nights get pretty busy.

6 Thank MrsNeerly