“Smitty's Restaurant, Osoyoos, B.C.”

Smitty's Family Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 57 Restaurants in Osoyoos
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Nanaimo, Canada
“Smitty's Restaurant, Osoyoos, B.C.”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is a hard one. We took a friend here on Friday night for a 'get away' dinner. She had just moved and, of course, was over whelmed with it all.

There were very few people here, I think 1 table on one side of the restaurant, and the 3 of us on the other. I think I know why.....

Our friend ordered the 7 grain-flax pancakes and wanted some fruit to go with it. She ordered the pancakes and I requested a side of fruit to accompany her order. The server loudly exclaimed it didn't come with fruit....where did you see that on the menu? She opened up the menu and pointed at a couple of things. I countered politely it didn't matter, could she please have an order of fruit?

Don ordered the Western skillet. It was quite the conglomeration of 'stuff'. He ate most of it, saying nothing when asked if all was okay. He waited until we got home so not to upset our friend. (She had enough already).

I ordered the Belgian waffle with a side of crisp bacon. Always a favourite of mine. The waffle came out almost cooked dry and hard as heck. The bacon appeared to be that already cooked-super thin stuff on the market. I will say, however, the coffee was good. I also said nothing. Shame on me!

The pancakes came out, and our friend said they were good, but she was looking for maple syrup....seemed to be missing. They did, however, have a apple cinnamon syrup, a black raspberry syrup and a 'regular' syrup. Translation: everything but maple syrup. The fruit plate came out and, again, to their credit, all fresh fruit...a couple of cherries, a strawberry, banana...I think a piece of melon.

A group of people came in and were seated across from us. One gentleman was well past being served anymore liquor, but they all ordered wine, etc. They became really loud and disturbing. As we were finishing our coffee and paying our bill, the server came up to give them their bill and Mr. not-so-very-sober yells out "did you get it right this time or make a mistake". I believe they heard him about a block away.

It could do with a pick me up. The establishment looks old and the menu definitely is. A little more care and, for sure, a server with a lot less attitude would certainly be helpful.

My question is: if a customer (diner) is willing to pay for a side dish, what does it matter to the server, if it shows on the menu that the requested something comes with that side or not?

Don said he would definitley not return here. His food was disgusting and the potatoes were not made Friday...they were old tasting. The price is good if that is your measuring stick, but the food was lacking, for us.

British Columbia, Canada
“Good Breakfast Value”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were headed out of town and stopped at Smitty's for breakfast. They had a few specials including a 3-egg omelette. We asked the waitress if we could split the omelette. She assured us we could so we ordered the omelette special. The place was busy so it took a few minutes. In the meantime, we had ample coffee. Shortly, our waitress came with our breakfast. The order was already split and I'm sure some extra has browns were thrown in. It was very good and great value.
The place was very busy. Our waitress was friendly and efficient with her time.

Nelson, Canada
“I usually like Smittys but not this one.”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stopped in for breakfast but needed to check emails etc as I was on the road and needed to connect to people. Oh and I was hungry.
Specificly asked about wifi before sitting down.
Ordered breacky and tried the net. It kept crashing everytime I tried to returm an email.
Breackfast arrived and was the same meal I have ordered at other Smittys. It was much smaller than at the other restaraunts, and I thought they were standardized meals at all the restaraunts. 3egg omlette sould be the same if you put everything in it that the franchise specs, and why only about half the pan fries?
Was not impressed, I left still hungry and needing to contact people. Im not a big Tim Hortons fan but went across the road for another coffee and to use the wifi. Good thing I had munchies in the truck.

2 Thank JustbigB
Kelowna, Canada
“Good Smitty's”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Went there for breakfast. They have a nice sunny patio for the morning, but also some shades that can be roll out. Nice staff clean place.
Very fast food delivery and excellent service.
But they should removed the ugly dusty plastic flower on the patio tables. It's and old looking restaurant.
Their breakfast is better tasting and warmer than Denny's.

Osoyoos, Canada
“A great family restaurant”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Food is aways the same - very good. The service is attentive. It is a family restaurant, catering to family seating and family atmosphere. I like it in the summer, when their patio is open. Sit back and relax with a nice glass of wine and a satisfying meal.
Friday evening is prime rib night. Can't go wrong there. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, Smitty's will not disappoint.
Seniors, 60+, can join a Senior's Club for $2.00. This will give you a $5 gift certificate for your next next visit and you will receive a free entrée card for your birthday. You also get 15% off any menu or retail item.

• Visited December 2013