“Going downhill- sadly”

Ranked #30 of 58 Restaurants in Osoyoos
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We've enjoyed literally dozens of meals here and for the most part enjoyed them. We go there mainly because it's adjacent to our hotel and minors are not permitted. HUGE PLUS IN OUR OPINION. (And yes, I'm a mother and a grandmother.)

The menu tries too hard and as such is very limited, tho I must say that what comes out of the kitchen is generally very good.

Recently I requested a baked potato to accompany my veg platter and was told I couldn't have one because Chef only prepares a certain number for certain entrees??? This made me realize that as restaurants go, it may be hotel-adjacent, but it's not the best Osoyoos has to offer. Oh yes and you also have to ask for the salt and pepper - none on the table - and this always bugs me!!

1  Thank bkay1959
There are newer reviews for The Sol Grill Room

Reviewed September 3, 2013

There weren't enough servers working to accommodate the customers; there weren't enough menus to go around, so we waited for a long time for some before I finally got up myself and took three (for our table of 8) that I saw sitting at the hostess' table by the front door. The waitress seemed annoyed to have to serve us. The food took forever to arrive. There was no toilet paper in the women's washroom, and the hostess seemed apologetic, although when I returned to the washroom at the end of the meal, there was still no toilet paper. I wouldn't go back. Overpriced, small servings, substandard food.

2  Thank Endrené S
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This restaurant totally surprised us. After reading reviews on trip advisor we decided to try it. It far surpassed our expectations and we would definitely recommend this to anyone. Good selection. Good prices. Good wines. This restaurant did not allow children so you should be aware. We enjoyed it because we were not travelling with young ones. We did see people leaving when they realized they needed to go to the other hotel onsite that was a family restaurant. We had shrimp with lime sauce and a scallop appetizer which were great. I had steak and lobster special that were done perfectly. My husband had prawns and green curry - that he raved about. The service was great (the lady actually worked at Road 13 as the Manager - we saw her earlier that day). All in all we wished in previous visits we had come there. Don't let the hotel and the fact it is a Holiday in fool you.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We made a reservation for 6:00 on a Friday evening in August. We were given a table by the window, which was good because the view is great. It's a very attractive room, and very light with a glass wall overlooking the lake.

The food was excellent. We shared a Caesar salad: a generous serving, plenty for a first course. The server brought it divided in two bowls. It was very pretty to look at, with an attractive dribble of balsamic reduction, an unusual touch which also added a slightly different and delicious flavor. Despite a rather too large amount of Caesar dressing, it was delicious.

My husband had salmon (I forget what it was crusted with) which he said was cooked perfectly and delicious. The accompanying wild rice and vegetables complemented it nicely.

I had the risotto with wild and button mushrooms and creamy parmesan. I asked that it be very lightly salted and the server said that it had only the salt that was in the chicken broth. It was perfect. It was very rich and the serving was huge -- lunch the next day!

The service went smoothly and was well paced (neither too fast nor too slow) until just after 7:00 when the restaurant started filling up. The server left the dessert menus for us to look at but never came back to see if we wanted any. By this time it was obvious that the restaurant was understaffed and service soon stalled. We tried to get the server's attention to ask for the bill. It came after a long wait and my husband checked it and put his credit card on the table. From that point on he made several attempts to catch the attention of the server, who seemed to be resolutely not looking in our direction. Finally my husband went to the hostess to say that we were ready to pay our bill. He sat down again and we waited some more. We actually paid our bill 25 minutes after we finished our meal. I would have thought that the restaurant would be happy to liberate a table for two by the window on a Friday evening as quickly as possible.

Incidentally, Sol has a strict "no minors" policy. I remember this from several years ago when a couple with a child (they hadn't made a reservation so were unaware of the policy) were turned away. When I phoned for a reservation this time, I was asked if there would be any minors in our party. I'm not saying that I'm strongly for or against this policy. It's just unusual. None of our favorite restaurants in Vancouver has such a policy.

1  Thank Patita43
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had an excellent meal. We picked the special of the night and both of us had an appetizer, bottle of wine. The service was excellent. We had chocolate mousse for dessert. It was a great place to spend our anniversary and the view was wonderful overlooking the lake. Would visit again.