“You cant beat drinking wine on a balcony overlooking the lake”

Holiday inn Hotel & Suites Osoyoos
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Reviewed October 24, 2008

The location of this hotel on the tip of the peninsular that almost bisects the lake is unbeatable.

The room we were initially allocated was unsuitable for wheelchair access with a few steps in the corridor. So instead we were given a huge one bed roomed suite in the centre of the hotel. We had booked using a Priority club Points Break so essentially a free night.

The weather was lovely and warm in late September a pleasant change after the rain in Washington state and it stayed nice for the rest of our time in Canada!

We enjoyed a nice dinner in the Sol restaurant overlooking the other arm of the lake since it was just across the hall from our room. Breakfast in the coffee shop was also good.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mymsman

Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel has an excellent location. Suites are nice and the beach can't be beat. The facility has a nice BBQ area and its own private island. Attached to the hotel is a marina where you can rent ski doos and speed boats.

The big problem with this property is the air conditioning does not work. At most, it will cool your room down by 5 degrees. If it is 100 degrees outside, your room will be 95 degrees. The hotel management seems to be well aware of this problem as they have lots of fans to give to guests. A fan in a desert is useless and just blows hot air on you. Management also has some portable air conditioner units on wheels, but of course, there is not enough to go around.

I will not stay here again unless I hear that they have fixed the air conditioning system.

The air conditioners at the Coast Hotel next door work very well.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank alanw2005
Reviewed August 18, 2008

For paying $212 a night we expected at least a decent lodging. The room although clean, was furnished in gross old 80's style stuff, things you would expect from a $40 a night roadside motel. There were holes in the wall, stains in the carpet and there was cobwebs in the plates I used from the 'kitchenette', so gross it stopped me from eating my dinner once I discovered it. The balcony had a table and chairs yes, just like they state. But cheap plastic things that were half eroded.
The front desk staff although pleasant, knew nothing and could not answer any of our questions and did not offer us any support. Just no sir or I don't know sir. The attached marina is very expensive, actually all of Osoyoos is. I don't mind spending money on decent lodging and food, but everything was way over priced for the quality.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank KimKCanada
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stopped here only for one night while touring Okanagan. I was pleasantly surprised by the big size of the room (we had two queen beds). The location is one of the best in Osoyoos: hotel is right on the lake and the view is beautiful. The water entertainment deck and office (seadoo and etc.) is in the hotel building. It only takes about 10 min walk to the Main street where the restaurants are. Hotel has also few bbq grills that are available for use.

The only disappointment was the room we booked didn't have a balcony. There are only maybe 10 rooms in the whole hotel that don't have balconies - and the hotel site didn't specify what the booking was.

Marina M.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Marina81
Reviewed August 12, 2008

After booking the hotel, I went to TripAdvisor and felt a little nervous, but decided to stick with it..glad we did! We found the staff to be very pleasant ( they are under a new General Manager who,according to the staff, is very customer focused). The rooms were clean, nice view of the lake, easy beach access..lots of BBQ's that were free to use for cooking(which I did). The family restaurant was pretty good, with decent prices for breakfast. Being in the hotel, we had access to the neighboring Marina which entitled us to free use of Kayaks(which we took full advantage of). Its a little over priced(not too much though). My wife and I had a pleasant time, and my teen age son and his buddy gave it high marks. It was a good five days at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Bradster58
Reviewed June 19, 2008

This is one hotel I always saw passing through Osoyoos since it's quite visible by the bridge and situated by the lake.

I stayed with my wife in a two bedroom unit since rates take a fall after the kids get back to school! The room quality was about average for a Holiday Inn and of good standard and cleanliness.

The room is actualy a suite which looks oriented for longer stays although we were there just a night. We had a nice view of the lake which is one thing I really appreciated and a small outside balcony. I have to say the room was nice but i wouldn;t pay the rates in the summer months for it.

There is a restaurant in walking distance and a beach near although not private. I did enjoy the room and location, although having just recently stayed at the new Walnut Beach Resort, I have to say it knocks the spots of this place as it has a private beach and outdoor pool. If budget is a consideration there are places in town with better value. You do pay for the location of this place which I think is worth extra but perhaps not a the summer rates.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Unfortunately my fiancee and myself had the bad luck of ending up at this hotel. I had originally planned to drive over the Rogers Pass but the transcanadian highway was closed (for several days we learned later) due to a mud slide. After a 10 hour driving day we ended up in Osoyoos and I walked into the Holiday Inn as I always believed they had a great name and service.

I was told that there was a suite available for 252$ tax included - a lot, but I was exhausted and thought that for that amount I would at least get a great room and thus a great rest. Nothing of the sort - our neighbours above made so much noise (especially their children) that we could not sleep for the entire night. I went to the reception more than once to complain and they promissed to sort it out but although they tried the noise persisted and I did not sleep well at all. Apparently, the kids of the family staying in the room above us had already broken light bulbs and stolen fire extinguishers on the 4th floor of the hotel. Still, staff were not going to ask them to turn it down or otherwise ask them to leave, I guess because a one-night customer is just not as important as a one-week customer.

I saw the same sign in the bathroom and told the guy at the front desk that if I did not get any sleep I would definitely not pay 250$ for the night - he agreed totally. The next day, the manager told me after me complaining that all she could do was 10%, which gave me a ridiculous 24$ off. So I ended up paying 224$ for a night in which I could not sleep due to the noise and had to go have breakfast somewhere else as there was no restaurant to the hotel.

Never ever again, avoid this hotel if you can or don't if you do no mind zero isolation from your neighbouring rooms.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wasbeer
total_enlightenment, Business Development Manager at Holiday inn Hotel & Suites Osoyoos, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2009

I am well aware that a number of the guests have complaints about the air conditioning problems at our hotel last summer but believe me we were not the only ones with such problems. It was just that the summer was particularly harsh and we were not prepared for such high temperatures. and the fact that some of the guests wer carelass about closing their balcony doors made the situation worse for everyone else.

This year we have done massive upgrades to our airconditioning units and I assure you that we are on the top of the situation tis year. we have bigger A/C units and backup coolers we have put bigger blowers for better circulation of the air along the corridores.

I am confident that this summer we will have only one kind of guests: HAPPY GUESTS