“Would not stay here again”

Lakeview Motel & Suites
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Osoyoos
Alberta
“Would not stay here again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I will start off by saying we travel extensively and have stayed in all ranges of hotels, motels, and resorts, so our review should be fair and accurate. We were very dispappointed in this motel for several reasons. I will try and cover them all.

People should be aware and that when you call in to book this motel, your credit card is automatically charged that day. In other words, if you call in June to book for August, your credit card is charged in June. We stayed here twice ( as we had booked in advance). The first night I arrived there and the lady at the desk asked how I was going to pay for the room. I said I had already and she could not see that I had. Luckily, I brought a copy of my credit card statement to prove I had. Then she agreed that I had paid already. We also had a dog with us and our confirmation (that I brought with us) showed that I had requested a pet-friendly room. She said the room we had been assigned was not pet friendly and would have to move us. My confirmation showed 2 queen beds and the one she changed us to was one queen bed with a small kitchenette. That was fine but the confusion was frustrating. The owner had also called me the morning we were leaving from home to ask if I had booked for Aug 2 , and then changed it and I said no, it had always been Aug 5. When I orginally called in to reserve the room back in June , the owner sent me the confirmation (email) and it had the wrong date on it. I called him right back and told him he put the wrong day on it, and he said that he had to do it that way, because someone was in the room he was assigning me, and that's just the way their computer worked. I requested another confirmation with the correct date on it and he sent me one. That's the one I brought with me. I highly suggest anyone booking this hotel bring their credit card statement for proof of payment as well as their confirmation. Also, the motel was very full with a large group of people who took over the pool and the few plastic chairs that are outside, so there was no chairs to sit outside, and the pool was full. They had their chairs right in front of our door, so it was very noisy until 11:00. You couldn't hear TV even. If you wanted to be outside you had to leave the hotel. The interent did not work. I asked the owner about it at the office , and it connected there, but when you went back to the room , it did not work. The next morning there was vomit on the small piece of grass that the hotel had, and there was fish and bones in front of the rooms .
On our way back from Vancouver we stayed here two more days ( you cannot cancel without 30 days notice or you lose your money). We were put in a room with a queen bed (terrible bed) and a dresser. There was no phone in the room. When our room was not cleaned the next day, I went to the front desk and he said they were making changes and they no longer cleaned the rooms while you were there, because they didn't want to wake children. They don't make your bed or give you clean towels. They don't clean the room until you leave. There was an old coffee pot in the room (standard size) and one 2 cup pack of coffee, so you could only put 2 cups of water in the pot, or it was too weak. Because they don't clean the rooms, you have to ask for coffee and towels the next day, which they do give you.

The location is ok. You aren't on the water but it is a short walk to a small beach (not the main one). This is where we would go, when we wanted to be outside , and there was nowhere to sit outside at the hotel.

There are a lot of nicer motels/ hotels in the area that charge similar prices and I would suggest trying them. We certainly wouldn't return to this motel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CanadaVacationer1
welsh419, Owner at Lakeview Motel & Suites, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
When we take a booking we inform customers that we require one nights deposit to confirm any reservation,this we then email back to our guest and ask them to check that the details are correct,as you agree this happened in your case.There would of been no danger of us not knowing that you had paid as our accounting system is linked to our emails which double checks our guests payments.
Our web site and all the booking sites we use make it quite clear we require a deposit to confirm a reservation.This policy has stopped the endless "no shows"we were experiencing.
When you were here on the long weekend we were full to capacity.The people you refere to as noisy were a church group comprising of parents and children from Vancouver.They were not a group of drunken youngsters.I am glad you agree that the people left and went to bed at 11.00PM as we strictly enforce a quiet time at this hour.My family and I live on site and are fully aware of what is happening outside the motel,we spent some time most evening outside with the guests 'shooting the breeze'.
The children did use the pool,but they were paying guests like everyone else and were entitled to use it.
The group did use the BBQ,S for cooking fish,and yes,there were small fish bones on the concrete floor outside,this was cleaned up when we saw it in the morning at 8;00AM.We also saw what you called vomit,this was also cleaned up at the same time,this was dog vomit as there were dog hairs in it.
We found the group to be polite and thoughtful,if we had been informed that they were an annoyance to you we would of asked them to move further down the building and it would then not of been an issue.
We have a very nice sitting area which gives guests a commanding view of the lake by our living quarters,this is where guests go for a read or indeed have a glass of wine if they want some peace and quiet.
We do not normally do housekeeping as the type of business we have in the summer would mean we would be doing it 24 hours per day.If we get a work crew in for a few days we do housekeeping for them as they are noramlly out at 7:30 AM.
My wife and I do ask guests if there is anything they require to come and ask us or if they have any issues we will hear them.With the advent of social media we seem to of lost our ability to complain face to face.
If you are ever in the area again please call in so that my wife and myself can discuss your issues over a cup of coffee on our patio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Kelowna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

A very friendly motel with great hosts who made it a home from home. Warmest pool I've ever swam in. Good access to BBQs to cook on. Clean and efficient rooms for a motel with some upgrades. Close to lake and beach (2 minutes). Ideal if you are looking for mid range/affordable accommodation with a pool - kids loved it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
welsh419, Owner at Lakeview Motel & Suites, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
We spend a lot of time on the pool making it just right.I am gald your children enjoyed the pool and the toys.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We have stayed at Lakeview Motel twice, now, once this year and once last year. We intend to stay here again when we are in town. The rooms are comfortable and completely equipped. The owners are friendly and extremely eager to help with any problem (like finding a dentist on a Friday afternoon). Derrick and Sandra are gems, truly interested and concerned about their guests' well being and comfort. Osoyoos is a delightful little town in the South Okanagan and the Lakeview Motel is a great place to stay while exploring!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
welsh419, Owner at Lakeview Motel & Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I hope that your son got all fixed up by his dentist when you got home.We are glad you enjoyed yourselves and that you intend coming back.
Wa. state
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Back in the 80's, I spent a couple of summers working in this area. While I was there, I don't think I saw a cloud and the high temps were always in the 90's or lower 100's. It seemed like a nice place to visit on our trip across Alberta and British Columbia.

Imagine my surprise when we arrived in town and it was 50 degrees and pouring! And it continued to pour the whole time we were there. Evidently, the weather affected the tourists because there were vacancies throughout town and at the Lakeview. We met the owners Derrick and Sandie and they were really interested in our stories about the conditions we had been driving through for two days. Maybe they felt sorry for us, because they upgraded our room into a room with a full kitchen.

The room was large and clean and the flat-screen tv had more stations than we could imagine. The room cost $79 and was very economical compared to what you get at other places. The owners are new in the business but we found them refreshing. They gave the impression that they wanted you to have a good time and that they were there to help. I would have no problem staying here again. It is situated in a beautiful part of Canada.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We also felt sorry for you as you had lousy weather all the way from Oregon.We can control what we do at Lakeview,but I am affraid not even we can control the weather.
If you let me know when you are coming next time I will order nice weather for you.
North Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We are still in the middle of enjoying our great stay at the Lakeview! The motel is set up in such a way that socializing with your fellow guests is one of the perks. Can't say enough great things about the wonderful owners, Derrick and Sandra.....I might even have learned a bit of Welsh from them!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am glad that you had a great time,we enjoyed your parties company.We hope that your friends enjoy their trip to the UK.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I can't say enough good things about the new owners of this motel. They are friendly, helpful, fun and interesting. They are committed to providing the best product they can and it shows. We only had one night in Osoyoos, but the Lakeview Motel will be a destination in the future.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom suite with another couple and it was more than adequate with a full kitchen. A...