“Desert Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Osoyoos, Canada
“Desert Gem”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

What a great little place Not fine dining but is bright and clean with an open concept.
. Prices were very reasonable and was informed by the waitress that they did not increase
for the summer months.
Menu evidenced lots of appetizers wraps and platters. Greek Salad was the best we have ever experienced and small or large portions available.
Service was top notch. We highly recommend for Greek or Mediterranean food lovers.

• Visited April 2014

Kamloops, Canada
“pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Actually went in for a quick donair, as that is the impression of the establishment, but we sat down and ordered lamb souvlaki and calamari instead. After living in the lower mainland and visiting numerous excellent greek restaurants like Stefanos, Taverna Greka, Paros who all make excellent calamari I was a little skeptical of ordering this in Osoyoos. The server/owner assured me it was worth ordering; It was fabulous! Not a typical large portioned greek calamari dinner, but definitely hand made in small batches and lightly deep fried and fresh; I left full. Wife loved the lamb shanks as well;very flavourful and tender. The rice pilaf had alot less saffron than I am used to in a greek restaurant, but it was good. The homemade pita was more like a naan bread, but it was fresh and tasty with the homemade tzatziki and hummous. I had a glass of N'kip red which was excellent as well, and just $5.95. More of a take-out atmosphere, but it is obviously a family of three trying to make ends meet in a small tourist town. I will definitely return on our next trip to Osoyoos

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank physicsteacher2013
Ottawa, Ontario
“What a gem!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were in Osoyoos on a miserable rainy day in October, and hungry. Many restaurants were closed; we decided to take a chance on Ella as we drove by a nondescript mall. The inside of the restaurant was bright, the setting was simple and clean. But what a gem we discovered. They serve the best calamari that I have ever had- sweet and tender, in a light batter. Their chicken souvlaki and lamb souvlaki were excellent, the pita bread was the best. The server was very helpful and advised us on where to find what in town. I highly recommend Ella (I see that many TA reviewers feel the same); IMO, Ella puts many of the Greek restaurants in my city to shame!

• Visited October 2013
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
“Avoid this place. It is anything but fine dining!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We came here on Sunday evening for my husband's birthday as it was one of only 3 restaurants in Osoyoos listed as "fine dining". The waitress did not greet us, but only stared at us like we were bothering her by coming in. She practically threw the food at us, which was mediocre to say the least- a huge pile of gooey rice dominated the plate with mutton masquerading as lamb on skewers. We had to disturb the waitress and her 2 colleagues in the back when it came time to pay the bill as they were all busy on their phones. It was a very disappointing evening and we will never return.

• Visited September 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Delish Moussaka but too much rice side dish”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Smiling service from the young female who is furthering her education to become a corrections officer, was attentive and friendly. She let us know there were only two moussaka left, so I grabbed one. Delicious. Comparable to Theo's in Penticton or Pasta Lupino in Whistler. Their platters were reasonably priced ($14 & $16) but could have done with half the amount of rice.

Overall an enjoyable quiet evening. Would go back again next time we're in Osoyoos.

Visited September 2013