“The worst boat rental experience”

Starlite Marina & Beach Shop
Ranked #28 of 48 things to do in Osoyoos
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I was just in Osoyoos for the weekend. Some friends and I decided to rent a boat and a tube for two hours ($100 per hour) from Starlite Marina. Five minutes into the trip we got our rope for the tube caught - obviously our fault. We had to call the marina to tow us back. They said the problem would be fixed easily and we could go back out. An hour later we get back in the boat. I quickly clarified we still had two hours. They informed us we had used up our hour fixing our mistake. Further they advised we owed $40 for the rope that had to be cut out, PLUS they charged us for the gas we used for our five minutes, and the gas their boat used to tow us back. For our five minutes, we were up to $160. We decided to pay up and leave at that point, figuring if we used our remaining hour we would have been up to over $300.

I asked nicely if we could be forgiven our mistake, pay for the rope and gas, and have our two hours at regular price, but no such luck, even though they had no reservations for our boat that evening. I felt like a vulnerable tourist being taken advantage of, instead of an appreciated customer.

Dont make our mistake and rent from Starlite Marina, or at least get a full explanation of up front costs.

57  Thank ChristyBurnaby