“Lake of mystery, lake of light”
Review of Spotted Lake

Spotted Lake
Ranked #10 of 47 things to do in Osoyoos
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I pass this lake almost weekly and it is never exactly the same. The play of light on the water, the salt and the basin subtely changes the picture below you. This lake is very important to local First Nations and is a mystery, in the sense that it is unique and one of the real oddities of this good earth. The crystallizing mineral deposits form rings which, at times are full of water and give the appearance of large white spots full of varying colours. A must stop and view spot on Hwy 3 (Richter Pass) about 7 minutes west of Osoyoos.

2  Thank Lee J
There are newer reviews for Spotted Lake

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Unique lake, we got to see it at its best with the minerals at their hieight, shame we couldn't get any closer it would have been nice to venture closer.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Only minutes from osoyoos it this unusual creation. It is on native land and it is fenced off to the public. You can see it well from the side of the road and can easily take photos. I was unaware that they offer tours as a previous reviewer mentioned. I would have liked to learn about it. I found some information on the web but would have been nice to have it explained by a guide. There is a sign by the highway stating that the are in the process of creating a tourist attraction type educational centre.

1  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed August 19, 2012

During my trip to Osoyoos, one thing I did not want to miss was Spotted Lake. Read so much about it and I got so intrigued by it. When I finally saw it in person, I was just so awe struck because it made me wonder how the spots on the lake were formed. I read somewhere that the spots on the lake has something to do with water vapor. This is one place that is a must see on your way to the Okanagan Valley. The down side though is that there is no signage to tell you that you are approaching Spotted Lake. So, you will have to keep a close eye on this gate that says Spotted Lake. If you are on Hwy 3 heading east to Osoyoos, it will be on your right hand side just before you actually enter the town proper of Osoyoos. There is no viewing platform or observation area. You just basically have to view it from the highway.

3  Thank antoniod506
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Just a short stop on Crowsnest before you enter Osoyoos. Worth a stop for some photos. Certainly something you won't have seen too often.