“Accommodations okay, food allergy folks beware!”
Review of Nav Centre

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cornwall
Nav Centre
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Toronto, Ontario
“Accommodations okay, food allergy folks beware!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was at the Nav Centre this week for a conference. As other posters have mentioned, the place has a very confusing layout but you eventually figure it out just in time for you to leave. The rooms are comfortable and the beds are some of the best I have ever slept on in a hotel. The pillows were ample, the a/c was much needed in the rooms and I was pleasantly surprised on that aspect since I was expecting a college dorm style room. It was definitely better than that. Bring an ethernet cable for the Internet in the rooms to save yourself some money.

My major concern was with the food. Several of the people with my conference had food allergies, which the conference organizer told the Nav Center about in advance, and we were assured all would be well. The first day, quite the opposite happened. I tried to find staff to ask which foods at the buffet were acceptable for my restrictions, and I received shrugs and laughs as my question was ignored. I ended up choosing carefully what I thought would be okay and had a bad reaction to the food that evening. I mentioned this to the conference organizer, who spoke to her contact at the Nav Centre, and they promised to bring us a specific plate if there were no acceptable choices in the buffet. The next lunch was great, but I had to be pretty insistent about getting my special meal. The evening banquet we had was also buffet style, and there was no staff around again to ask what was acceptable for my diet. I ended up choosing badly again, and suffered for it. Nothing was labelled with allergens many of us shared, so we had to guess and then suffer for it later if we were wrong (which I did). The final day, I asked again at lunch what I could eat and the answer came from a server: "Just the cauliflower". That's unacceptable after I paid in excess of $500 for a conference and I can only eat cauliflower for lunch. No accommodations were made with that one lunch being an exception, no help was given to identify what was safe and what was not, staff were not knowledgeable about allergies and the severity of reactions, and derision was the main response received from staff. If you have a food allergy and you value your life, DO NOT GO HERE.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank canadagrl77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
pierrefonds, quebec, canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is my second time at the Nav Centre. It is a huge place, more like a maze. Once you've been there , you quickly learn some short cuts. By taking the stairs, I saved time and lots of detours and getting lost. Plus I got some good Cardio by using the stairs. The rooms are comfortable, clean and lots of space. The Hotel Staff are very helpful and polite and nice to talk to.Some choose to be 3 in a room, still had space, This kept our cost lower. or you could have chosen to be two or have a room all to yourself, then it would cost more.

They did some changes to the Dinning Room, Buffets and seating areas. This year, our Ladies;s Group were kept together in a seating area designated for us. On some days, especially in the morning you waited a long time for them to serve your coffee, juice,or other beverages. They didn't have enough staff for the number of people being served. We were 115 women in our group alone. There were other groups and conferences and guests there as well.

Some of the food was dry, but overall it was good. A good variety. This year We went to the Bar. nice atmosphere.. We sat by the window side and had a fairy-like scene with lights changing colors near trees and the soft white lights was very relaxing.

The conference room was comfortable with lots of seating with tables. We had lots of rooms for our 16 Small Groups and a Prayer Room. We also had a large room where we could chill out, have snacks that we brought. There was fridge to kept perishables and bottled water cold.We had a beautiful weekend weather wise.So, we were able to go for walks along the St Lawrence River. we got to see the Rustic houses and other Summer Inns that you can rent. This place keeps you in shape. Especially with eating at the Buffets, Sometimes our eyes are bigger than our stomachs. So, yes, The walking helps. Our group enjoyed our experience at the Nav

Centre.If people look up on line they will find a lot of history as a training centre for the military It is good to use this place other than just a training centre..

Room Tip: The higher you are you can have a better view of the water and the grounds. Even late at night you c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sixteen066
Lunenburg, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The overall visit to spa wasn't to bad it's a very beautiful place and a warm welcome for the front desk which was a bit awkward to find. I had a pedicure with a young girl can't remember her name because my visit wasn't that impressionable. She cut my toe nails so short that they now hurt I didn't notice right away but after I left I had a hard time walking. This young girl didn't even talk to me she just talked to the other Esthetician in the room and only asked if I was ok once, no conversation at all. I can honestly say that I will not go back! The worst part of it all is that I am an Esthetican and have been for 10 years and I was really looking forward to this since I don't get them all the time. so It was a waste of 45$.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MeganP809
Toronto
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent two long weeks at the Nav Centre for a training program. It is, to say the least, a very odd place. It was originally a federal government training facility, primarily (and still to this day) used to train Armed Forces and Federal air traffic controllers. The RCAF also uses it for classroom training. An interesting but irrelevant feature for most is the 30KW functioning radar.

Due to it's prior use, the accommodation was designed for function over form, and this shows in the complex, maze-like hallways that make up the various pods. Somehow, they have managed to take what is usually crystal-clear airport-like signage and make it completely un-intuitive and confusing.

The rooms themselves are smallish but generally comparable to budget and slightly-better hotels, with the usual complement of oddly placed furniture. The building is also quite old, and the HVAC machinery noises, depending on your room, range from completely unacceptable to mildly annoying.

Now, the food: Yes, it is cafeteria style. Yes, there is room for improvement, both in variety and quality. Generally speaking the quality is fine, as long as you set your expectations appropriately - ain't no Michelin star hanging over the entrance. A few items were great, no matter how picky you are. Always two soups, fresh salad bar, omelettes to order for breakfast. If you don't like Pretzel Buns, you won't be too happy as that seems to be the official bun of NavCentre. The servers are a mixture of old pros and young hospitality kids, and while not overly polished they are certainly friendly and eager to help.

As others have mentioned, it is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. It is a huge campus on the very edge of Cornwall, and no offense to Cornwall but it seems to be the 'fancy restaurant' in town that folks go to for special occasions. I imagine you could have fun during the summer watching the smugglers cross the river with their boats loaded with cigs and booze as it is right at the intersection of Ontario, Quebec, New York and a huge reserve.

There is a bar, the Jetset Pub, and it is actually a highlight of the facility (primarily because it's the ONLY diversion other than a great pool and reasonable gym). The servers are light on the ground, but very nice. Good selection of beers, and you can also order food. Couple of loud tv's, when I was there LOTS of loud drunken locals doing the Christmas Party circuit - I'm sure many marriages have ended after a party at the ole' Nav Centre's JetSet pub!

So, to summarize, if you go it's because you have to for the most part, and although it could be better it could also be much worse.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark_n_Dale
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Not great food, when you say black pepper, get the real one not powdered one. Long wait for the burger, didnt taste real, fries omg they taste mccains, server ok, it felt like cafeteria chefs trying to experiment in a high end pub lol. Please get grip owners. The Beers are ok, Ambiance very nice, but the food, my friend had to getup and see, ask the waitress if the food was ready for her child. Please guys getta grip of your services and chefs.

Room Tip: Unique spot but the Jetset Pub for food horrible service and waitress snotty!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank biztravel2012
Janice_NAVCENTRE, Manager at Nav Centre, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello biztraveller653,

Thank you for your review of the Jet Set pub. We regret that you did not fully enjoy your meal and the service.

We care deeply about your experience at the Jet Set. If, during your next visit, there is anything we can do to improve your experience, please ask to see a manager and we will rectify the situation immediately.

Your comments are important to us and help us improve our services.

Regards,

Janice @NAV CENTRE
Ontario
Reviewed January 29, 2013

couldn't figure out how to add pics to my previously written review, My previous one as well as this one will say it's a great place for a wedding.

It's been months and we still keep hearing about how great the food was. We had a tomato soup, beef tenderloin, strawberry shortcake. I didn't get a chance to try all the apps at our coctail hour but I hear the dips were amazing. We did get a late night buffet all was finished, it was wonderful. Staff was wonderful, professional, clean, helpful.

Front desk staff were prompt and well mannered.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kristina S
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Call ahead to get a room. They have a lot of confrences

We travel alot and always try to stay at 'non chain' hotels. The nav centre is more like a cross between a community centre a boys club a fitness clib and a residence.

The rooms were great for us. Not too large. Good desk. (Needed an ethernet. But woreless in all public areas). Like study or dorm room. The nav centre caters to government confrences and trainings. So lots of men.

Fitness centre and spa. Fitness was best i jave ever seen at a hotel. Largest pool with lanes and deep end. Spa is mani pedi facial and hair cuts

We ate at the pub. Loud but great environment. The restaraunt looked great

The lift off coffee canteen was reasonable and fast.

I will stay again
And cornwall is cute

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank KristineMcc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornwall
Best Western Plus Parkway Inn & Conference Centre
Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort
First Canada Inns
First Canada Inns
#5 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Nav Centre? Share your experiences!