“Ladies Retreat from westview bible church, Pierrefonds, Quebec”
Review of Nav Centre

Nav Centre
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is my second time at the Nav Centre. It is a huge place, more like a maze. Once you've been there , you quickly learn some short cuts. By taking the stairs, I saved time and lots of detours and getting lost. Plus I got some good Cardio by using the stairs. The rooms are comfortable, clean and lots of space. The Hotel Staff are very helpful and polite and nice to talk to.Some choose to be 3 in a room, still had space, This kept our cost lower. or you could have chosen to be two or have a room all to yourself, then it would cost more.

They did some changes to the Dinning Room, Buffets and seating areas. This year, our Ladies;s Group were kept together in a seating area designated for us. On some days, especially in the morning you waited a long time for them to serve your coffee, juice,or other beverages. They didn't have enough staff for the number of people being served. We were 115 women in our group alone. There were other groups and conferences and guests there as well.

Some of the food was dry, but overall it was good. A good variety. This year We went to the Bar. nice atmosphere.. We sat by the window side and had a fairy-like scene with lights changing colors near trees and the soft white lights was very relaxing.

The conference room was comfortable with lots of seating with tables. We had lots of rooms for our 16 Small Groups and a Prayer Room. We also had a large room where we could chill out, have snacks that we brought. There was fridge to kept perishables and bottled water cold.We had a beautiful weekend weather wise.So, we were able to go for walks along the St Lawrence River. we got to see the Rustic houses and other Summer Inns that you can rent. This place keeps you in shape. Especially with eating at the Buffets, Sometimes our eyes are bigger than our stomachs. So, yes, The walking helps. Our group enjoyed our experience at the Nav

Centre.If people look up on line they will find a lot of history as a training centre for the military It is good to use this place other than just a training centre..

Room Tip: The higher you are you can have a better view of the water and the grounds. Even late at night you c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sixteen066

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The overall visit to spa wasn't to bad it's a very beautiful place and a warm welcome for the front desk which was a bit awkward to find. I had a pedicure with a young girl can't remember her name because my visit wasn't that impressionable. She cut my toe nails so short that they now hurt I didn't notice right away but after I left I had a hard time walking. This young girl didn't even talk to me she just talked to the other Esthetician in the room and only asked if I was ok once, no conversation at all. I can honestly say that I will not go back! The worst part of it all is that I am an Esthetican and have been for 10 years and I was really looking forward to this since I don't get them all the time. so It was a waste of 45$.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MeganP809
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent two long weeks at the Nav Centre for a training program. It is, to say the least, a very odd place. It was originally a federal government training facility, primarily (and still to this day) used to train Armed Forces and Federal air traffic controllers. The RCAF also uses it for classroom training. An interesting but irrelevant feature for most is the 30KW functioning radar.

Due to it's prior use, the accommodation was designed for function over form, and this shows in the complex, maze-like hallways that make up the various pods. Somehow, they have managed to take what is usually crystal-clear airport-like signage and make it completely un-intuitive and confusing.

The rooms themselves are smallish but generally comparable to budget and slightly-better hotels, with the usual complement of oddly placed furniture. The building is also quite old, and the HVAC machinery noises, depending on your room, range from completely unacceptable to mildly annoying.

Now, the food: Yes, it is cafeteria style. Yes, there is room for improvement, both in variety and quality. Generally speaking the quality is fine, as long as you set your expectations appropriately - ain't no Michelin star hanging over the entrance. A few items were great, no matter how picky you are. Always two soups, fresh salad bar, omelettes to order for breakfast. If you don't like Pretzel Buns, you won't be too happy as that seems to be the official bun of NavCentre. The servers are a mixture of old pros and young hospitality kids, and while not overly polished they are certainly friendly and eager to help.

As others have mentioned, it is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. It is a huge campus on the very edge of Cornwall, and no offense to Cornwall but it seems to be the 'fancy restaurant' in town that folks go to for special occasions. I imagine you could have fun during the summer watching the smugglers cross the river with their boats loaded with cigs and booze as it is right at the intersection of Ontario, Quebec, New York and a huge reserve.

There is a bar, the Jetset Pub, and it is actually a highlight of the facility (primarily because it's the ONLY diversion other than a great pool and reasonable gym). The servers are light on the ground, but very nice. Good selection of beers, and you can also order food. Couple of loud tv's, when I was there LOTS of loud drunken locals doing the Christmas Party circuit - I'm sure many marriages have ended after a party at the ole' Nav Centre's JetSet pub!

So, to summarize, if you go it's because you have to for the most part, and although it could be better it could also be much worse.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark_n_Dale
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Not great food, when you say black pepper, get the real one not powdered one. Long wait for the burger, didnt taste real, fries omg they taste mccains, server ok, it felt like cafeteria chefs trying to experiment in a high end pub lol. Please get grip owners. The Beers are ok, Ambiance very nice, but the food, my friend had to getup and see, ask the waitress if the food was ready for her child. Please guys getta grip of your services and chefs.

Room Tip: Unique spot but the Jetset Pub for food horrible service and waitress snotty!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank biztravel2012
Janice_NAVCENTRE, Manager at Nav Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Hello biztraveller653,

Thank you for your review of the Jet Set pub. We regret that you did not fully enjoy your meal and the service.

We care deeply about your experience at the Jet Set. If, during your next visit, there is anything we can do to improve your experience, please ask to see a manager and we will rectify the situation immediately.

Your comments are important to us and help us improve our services.

Regards,

Janice @NAV CENTRE

Reviewed January 29, 2013

couldn't figure out how to add pics to my previously written review, My previous one as well as this one will say it's a great place for a wedding.

It's been months and we still keep hearing about how great the food was. We had a tomato soup, beef tenderloin, strawberry shortcake. I didn't get a chance to try all the apps at our coctail hour but I hear the dips were amazing. We did get a late night buffet all was finished, it was wonderful. Staff was wonderful, professional, clean, helpful.

Front desk staff were prompt and well mannered.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristina S
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Call ahead to get a room. They have a lot of confrences

We travel alot and always try to stay at 'non chain' hotels. The nav centre is more like a cross between a community centre a boys club a fitness clib and a residence.

The rooms were great for us. Not too large. Good desk. (Needed an ethernet. But woreless in all public areas). Like study or dorm room. The nav centre caters to government confrences and trainings. So lots of men.

Fitness centre and spa. Fitness was best i jave ever seen at a hotel. Largest pool with lanes and deep end. Spa is mani pedi facial and hair cuts

We ate at the pub. Loud but great environment. The restaraunt looked great

The lift off coffee canteen was reasonable and fast.

I will stay again
And cornwall is cute

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank KristineMcc
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my daughters hockey tournament. Absolutely confusing layout and smallish rooms. Book early if you would like a suite or even for a queen bed or you will get stuck with a double. The price was very reasonable with no meals. We did partake in the breakfast buffet that was average. I found staff helpful and nice. It was great that the kids could run around and play hide and seek in the never-ending hallways. The indoor pool was a real bonus. I also liked the various open meeting areas that we could order food or play some games. The walls were very thin and I could hear TVs and people talking at all times. Security was very strict with noise after 10:30. All in all a great place to stay for a tournament.

• Stayed: November 2012