“The perfect non hotel”
Review of Nav Centre

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cornwall
Nav Centre
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Call ahead to get a room. They have a lot of confrences

We travel alot and always try to stay at 'non chain' hotels. The nav centre is more like a cross between a community centre a boys club a fitness clib and a residence.

The rooms were great for us. Not too large. Good desk. (Needed an ethernet. But woreless in all public areas). Like study or dorm room. The nav centre caters to government confrences and trainings. So lots of men.

Fitness centre and spa. Fitness was best i jave ever seen at a hotel. Largest pool with lanes and deep end. Spa is mani pedi facial and hair cuts

We ate at the pub. Loud but great environment. The restaraunt looked great

The lift off coffee canteen was reasonable and fast.

I will stay again
And cornwall is cute

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank KristineMcc

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my daughters hockey tournament. Absolutely confusing layout and smallish rooms. Book early if you would like a suite or even for a queen bed or you will get stuck with a double. The price was very reasonable with no meals. We did partake in the breakfast buffet that was average. I found staff helpful and nice. It was great that the kids could run around and play hide and seek in the never-ending hallways. The indoor pool was a real bonus. I also liked the various open meeting areas that we could order food or play some games. The walls were very thin and I could hear TVs and people talking at all times. Security was very strict with noise after 10:30. All in all a great place to stay for a tournament.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank wontstayput
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Given that Nav Centre is in Cronwall Ontario, it deserves 4 stars! If it were in a bigger city with more choices, then it would be a 3 star and vice versa and if it were in a smaller town!

The facilities themselves have undergone many improvements in the last decade: if you're there on business you couldn't ask for more: full gym, olympic size pool, hardwood floor basketball courts, beautiful walkway along the St-Lawrence plenty of things to do given that Cronwall isn't a busy city!

The cafeteria serves up decent dishes: breakfast is à la Best Western with a bit more choice, lunch and supper have their ups and downs but overall it's a good bang for the buck! The bar has expensive prices on drinks but there's nothing stopping you from going into town and getting your own alcohol at either LCBO or BeerStore. Watch out for early closing hours on those two stores, when in Ontario:))

I'm an air traffic controller for Nav Canada and spent 6 and a half months there in 2001 so I can tell you the place has improved a lot in the last decade! It still has a university campus / conference center vibe but the staff is always very helpful and the place has all your primary needs covered!

Room Tip: Ask for the old Violet 500 section: rooms are twice as big!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ATCLG
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Each year I take a trip to Cornwall, ON. I have been staying at the Nav Centre each year for about 10 years now. It has always been nice place to stay, but please do not think of this as a normal hotel.

The Nav Centre is an air traffic control training facility. So the accommodations revolve around a campus environment. The Nav Centre sits just across from the St. Lawrence River, and is only a 5 minute drive from the US/Canadian Border Bridge. The location and grounds are quite beautiful, and immaculate. The grounds keepers really do an awesome job there.

The front lobby was just redone a few years back. The facility also has a cafeteria, which is open during specific times daily. A big plus is that there is a pub on location. The Bartenders are friendly, and the pub food is decent.

My biggest criticism of Nav is the conditions of the room. Over the last decade, the rooms have seen their best days. While the beds are in good shape, the carpets and couches are not. There are stains, and should really be replaced. I also noticed water stains on my drop frame ceiling tiles in the bathroom. The rooms really need to be completely overhauled, updated, and brought into the 2010's. Overall, you will find normal hotel amenities here.

Yes, the layout of this facility is a bit whacky. But, again this was not designed as a hotel, but more like dorms. Single rooms are smaller than your average hotel room. Suites offer a bit more space, including 2 bathrooms and a sitting area.

All in all, the Nav is a hidden gem. It is quiet and convenient. If you are looking for a unique place to rest and relax, this is a decent spot.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Just spent 4 nights at this hotel. Beautiful location overlooking the St. Lawrence. Superbly maintained grounds. Small, but comfortable rooms which reminded us of rooms in the Microtels (but even a bit more compact). Which is fine, unless you go on vacation to spend time in your room. Which we didn't. The staff were very friendly and helpful as they could be, but generally gave a wealth of mis-information about this site. Most staff weren't aware of the restaurant timings or even when they whether they were opened as well as what those restaurants actually did and in some cases, were not even apparently aware of the existence of some of their restaurants. The building layout is absolutely bizarre. For example, our room was in Blue - 3rd floor. There is NO way to take a trolley with your luggage from reception to the 3rd floor in Blue without going through dimly lit basement tunnels, lined with pipes and cables, completely without any directions posted and which wanders around before you get (hopefully) to an elevator going up to 3rd floor in that cluster. We finally had to get a staff member to lead us by the hand to that elevator. And as some of the other reviewers have said, be prepared to walk a long way! The floor layouts are totally bizarre with some seemingly parallel corridors to some rooms. Varying levels of rooms on the same floor. Some ramps to different levels but with steps on the other end of your destination so if you're in a wheel chair, forget about it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south face the river for a nice view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Gordon S
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My stay at the NAV center was part of a package deal which was included with a training class for work. I assumed it was something like a business conference center and hotel. Not! I drove by the location not really believing it was a hotel and guess what ….. it originally was not a hotel but some sort of a college. I finally figured out where the front entrance was. I pulled up and it was a ghost town. “Am I in the right place”, I muttered to myself. I walked into the campus registration center .. I mean lobby and not a soul was to be found. Eventually a girl walked out from behind and began to check me in. She gave me my card key and pointed in the general direction of where my room was and said nothing else. I began the journey to my room with laptop, suitcase, sleep machine, etc. I walked and walked and walked. Eventually I stumbled onto what I thought was my room. So I thought. The RA forgot to tell me that there were many rooms numbered 311. V311, R311, T311, etc. I guess I deserved it as I missed the freshman orientation. Needless to say I had many a WTF moment throughout my stay at this lovely community college. Don’t forget to pack a water bottle for when you embark on your journey from the parking lot to your room. You will want to stay well hydrated during the expedition. Overall the staff here just don’t seem to be happy. It is like pulling teeth to obtain information from the staff. The cafeteria and I mean cafeteria food is so so …dont forget to bring your tray back to the cafeteria. The layout of this place is horrible. Nothing really flows. It is so dissjointed. Who ever desgined this place must have drank a 5th while drawing up the plans. On the plus side the room was fairly clean, bathroom somewhat modern and the grounds are well kept. The bed was very uncomfortable. It sank in the middle. I had fantasies about going to home depot and buying a board to place under it. Needless to say I was happy to navigate the hec out of this place!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank rossvin324
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Perhaps it is with deep irony that "Navigation Canada" built a center so obtuse and poorly laid out that the first test upon arrival is 'navigating' to one's room. Who hired this architect and will he be part of the Deficit Reduction Action Plan? Dreadful if ever a fire were to start, as it would be a slow, panicked crawl along the thousands of corners to find a doorway out. Worth the stay if only because all other corn-mazes are busy, it offers a unique style of dining where one tells the cashier in what colour and number room one is staying, then gets food and revisits the same clerk upon exiting to pay. How bizarre and inefficient. The pub is a good place to quaff a pint, if only because it is a long cab ride elsewhere, and the service is at times quite slow due to limited staffing. The gym is nigh impossible to find (follow "pool" signage), as it must be inferred that all fitness enthusiasts are also adept swimmers.

Hint: read all signs and hieroglyphs carefully as these hold clues to where you might next see an exit / humans / food.

Lastly, do not expect a bargain by staying here: if there were a Fairmont *tm, nearby, the gold floor would be cheaper...

Room Tip: Take a cab from another hotel if your function is here...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank localtravelore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornwall
Best Western Parkway Inn & Conference Centre
Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort
First Canada Inns
First Canada Inns
#5 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Nav Centre? Share your experiences!