“Smoke and Mirrors”
Review of Monte Carlo Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cornwall
Monte Carlo Motel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Cornwall, Canada
“Smoke and Mirrors”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Upon arrival at the Monte Carlo, I was greated at the office desk by the owner after walking through a haze of cigarette smoke. She seemed very enthusiastic about the accomodations I was being provided and, as such, I felt confident that my girlfriend and I would have a nice stay. I was unpleasantly surprised.

The room we booked was a kitchenette room and we had purchased a large amount of groceries for our 4 day trip. Entrance to the upstairs room was via what one could only call a rickety fire escape. The room did have a second entrance but the key did not work properly and the door was jammed. Opening it on any frequency was a hassle at best. We opened the refrigerator to fill it only to find that the freezer was so completely full of frost that the door would not close. We later found that everything in the refrigerator section would freeze because the freezer door remained open when the outer refrigerator door was shut.

With our food finally stored we decided to settle in to our accomodations. The furniture in the bedroom section was modest and the layout was poor. If the bathroom door was left open the television became blocked. Inside the kitchen was a bookcase that one could only describe as "slanted". We were also surprised to find a pair of used running shoes in the closet. The lamp on the one nightstand was covered in burnt plastic which is quite dangerous considering the fact that there was no battery in the smoke detector.

The kitchen section itself had two outlets for 3 appliances plus the crock pot we brought with us. The power outlet on the oven was not functional.This made cooking inconvenient. We opened the cupboards to assess the pots and pans situation and were surprised to find that the one decent sized frying pan in the room was without a handle. This inconvenience was only made worse by the fact that there were no oven mitts provided. The clock on the oven was broken and constantly flashed 12:00 without any way to remedy it, very annoying. When I finally was able to cook a meal it was a challenge to find two matching plates in the cupboard. The only two knives that matched in the silverware holder were plastic knives that were taken from a fast food restaurant.

The bathroom in the room could best be described as "ghetto". The toilet paper dispenser had broken off of the wall and had been neatly placed on the floor by housekeeping awaiting replacement. The sink was tiny with exposed piping underneath and the tap would drip if you looked at it sideways (I had to put a wet facecloth under it at night so we could sleep). The shower head height was not adjustable. I am six feet tall and the lowest spot I could get the water to hit me was on my neck. I can only imagine how difficult showering was for my girlfriend who is five foot three.

I am not quite sure how to describe the decor in the room other than to say it is "reflective" because there was not a single wall in the room that did not have a mirror on it. The windows were sealed shut with paint which made getting fresh air into the room impossible.

The one nice thing the room had going for it was the view of the St. Lawrence river from the balcony. Unfortunately there was a gang of teenagers in the next room who spent a great deal of time outside smoking which made the balcony an unpleasant place to be.

I will not be staying here again and I would suggest that you reconsider if you are thinking about visiting the area and staying in this motel. There are several other local low cost options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Brad A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is our first review as we are not picky travelers and we have stayed in all kinds of places all over the world but we had to write something with regards to this motel especially if you are travelling with young children as we were.
We knew this was a budget motel but there are plenty of budget motels that are clean and family friendly. Unfortunately this motel is as far from "family motel" as you could possibly imagine.
The first room we visited for our stay showed sighs of a break in. The door had been kicked in and an attempt was made to patch it up and as you could imagine the door no longer closed properly. Inside the room the cigarette smell was overwhelming and the matresses were old and very worn. We also noticed what seemed to be some blood droplets on the wall behind the bed and a blood smear on the door frame leading out of the room (I guess house keeping missed a few spots).
We were quickly moved to our original non-smoking room. The room was much cleaner, beds seemed newer and there was no cigarette odor. As we were doing our usual bed bug check between the matresses we found the unimaginable, one hyperdermic needle and a hunting knife hidden between the matress and box spring.
We were fully refunded and apologies were expressed but we could not have departed fast enough. If one of our children had played around the matress they may have been hurt by the syringe.
We are embarassed for the management of this establishment and perhaps they are stuck with a certain clientele but seriously, a syringe and a knife under the matress!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Grecogerman

Travelers are raving about these Cornwall hotels

Reviewed June 10, 2012

All the rooms are smoking. Yuck!!! Couldn't breathe. Very dated and uncomfortable rooms. The Manager who I believe is the owner as well is very sweet and Helpful.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank CaliforniaKC
on the road
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The motel is dated, with somewhat worn rooms and old furniture.
The rooms are clean, there is free coffee each morning, it is non smoking, and there is a kitchen in most rooms.
Great location on the river (across the road) with a dock for fishing, swimming and small boat mooring is a big plus.
Good value for what you pay.
They have senior rates, and weekly / monthly rates in season.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
South Tamworth, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Other reviewers made this sound like a horrible, horrible place and I disagree. It's a fine place to stay if you are on a budget. The manager said she has been there for only a few months and previous managers were non-english speakers who had their 12 year old son in charge sometimes - I can see how that would make guests feel they were not getting good treatment.
Rooms do smell of smoke. Carpets, drapes and bedding is not by any means brand new or fancy. That said, I felt safe in my room, I slept well, the manager welcomed my dog with open arms, the location is good for walking the dog, it's out of the center of town, it's inexpensive - for me it was an ideal one night stop on the way from here to there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Annie R
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights with a co-worker and we were very satisfied with our room. Wi-fi speed was great, room was clean, the staff was super friendly and the room was very spacious. Overall it was a much more enjoyable stay than the last time I came to Cornwall.

• Stayed December 2011
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Booked weekend getaway with my girlfriemd based on pictures provided by motel.l went into the front office only to be greeted by fruit flies and stale smoke.Got my key,went to the room across the street and l was horrified upon entry.l found filthy carpets,furniture that was old and unstable,holes in the wall and a smell of mold and smoke.l got a refund after the desk clerk complained.Not recommended for anyone.If your blind,have no sense of smell or no moral values,then the Monte Carlo is for you.

Room Tip: check before entering or even beginning to open your wallet