Upon arrival at the Monte Carlo, I was greated at the office desk by the owner after walking through a haze of cigarette smoke. She seemed very enthusiastic about the accomodations I was being provided and, as such, I felt confident that my girlfriend and I would have a nice stay. I was unpleasantly surprised.
The room we booked was a kitchenette room and we had purchased a large amount of groceries for our 4 day trip. Entrance to the upstairs room was via what one could only call a rickety fire escape. The room did have a second entrance but the key did not work properly and the door was jammed. Opening it on any frequency was a hassle at best. We opened the refrigerator to fill it only to find that the freezer was so completely full of frost that the door would not close. We later found that everything in the refrigerator section would freeze because the freezer door remained open when the outer refrigerator door was shut.
With our food finally stored we decided to settle in to our accomodations. The furniture in the bedroom section was modest and the layout was poor. If the bathroom door was left open the television became blocked. Inside the kitchen was a bookcase that one could only describe as "slanted". We were also surprised to find a pair of used running shoes in the closet. The lamp on the one nightstand was covered in burnt plastic which is quite dangerous considering the fact that there was no battery in the smoke detector.
The kitchen section itself had two outlets for 3 appliances plus the crock pot we brought with us. The power outlet on the oven was not functional.This made cooking inconvenient. We opened the cupboards to assess the pots and pans situation and were surprised to find that the one decent sized frying pan in the room was without a handle. This inconvenience was only made worse by the fact that there were no oven mitts provided. The clock on the oven was broken and constantly flashed 12:00 without any way to remedy it, very annoying. When I finally was able to cook a meal it was a challenge to find two matching plates in the cupboard. The only two knives that matched in the silverware holder were plastic knives that were taken from a fast food restaurant.
The bathroom in the room could best be described as "ghetto". The toilet paper dispenser had broken off of the wall and had been neatly placed on the floor by housekeeping awaiting replacement. The sink was tiny with exposed piping underneath and the tap would drip if you looked at it sideways (I had to put a wet facecloth under it at night so we could sleep). The shower head height was not adjustable. I am six feet tall and the lowest spot I could get the water to hit me was on my neck. I can only imagine how difficult showering was for my girlfriend who is five foot three.
I am not quite sure how to describe the decor in the room other than to say it is "reflective" because there was not a single wall in the room that did not have a mirror on it. The windows were sealed shut with paint which made getting fresh air into the room impossible.
The one nice thing the room had going for it was the view of the St. Lawrence river from the balcony. Unfortunately there was a gang of teenagers in the next room who spent a great deal of time outside smoking which made the balcony an unpleasant place to be.
I will not be staying here again and I would suggest that you reconsider if you are thinking about visiting the area and staying in this motel. There are several other local low cost options.
- Also Known As:
- Monte Carlo Motel Cornwall, Ontario