“Very disappointed and disturbed!”

Howard Johnson Cornwall
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Mississauga, Canada
“Very disappointed and disturbed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just stayed at the Ho-Jo this past weekend, booked 4 rooms for myself and family members. Was confident with the chain's name, previous to arrival, WYNDHAM is typically known for being professional, classy, and well kept.

This "hotel" is currently under renovations from a motel to "hotel". Not once while booking was this mentioned. This place is a complete dump and I do NOT suggest booking here. Pay an extra $10-$20 and stay at a better chain.

Once I arrived, the hotel is not 100% smoke-free like it claims at the front desk, the whole back of the hotel is still "smoking-friendly". You can book a smoking room, yet they have a sign at the front desk that indicates the "hotel" is 100% smoke friendly. When I asked the front desk clerk why the sign was up when the place clearly still has smoking rooms and still reaks like smoke, her reply was "we still haven't removed the dry-wall back there so we allow them to smoke until it's renovated".

Another issue with the HO-JO: I had an elderly Aunt who is on oxygen 24-7 and my grandmother bunking in one room, both well into their senior years. I expected a room with air-conditioning like advertised. Unfortunately, their room did NOT have working air conditioning and the temp was reaching the high 80's (F) high 20's (C) with humditiy. This caused my Aunt who is oxygen depended to use 10 tanks of oxygen within ONE weekend (span of 3 days). That is UNHEARD OF! Typically she should have only used max 5. We than had to arrange alternate oxygen tanks to be picked up 83km's away.
When we brought up our concerns of her health to the front desk, the lady at the front explained "there is nothing I can do!"

We also ran into errors like my brother checking into someone else's room. The person's belongings we already in their room and he had been checked into it as well.

I could go on and on about all the terrible service but I would be here for HOURS!
The bathroom's have a premanent dirt stained bottom bathtub, extremely OUTDATED!!!, and unkept! DIRTY, DISGUSTING, and NONE OF THE SHEETS FIT THE BED.

SO, if you like waking up at 2am with your face pressed against a public mattress, taking showers in a dirty tub, dealing with extremely rude employees "who can do nothing about everything", being checked into other people's rooms, smelling smoke everywhere you go, and don't care about the health of elderly people... this is the place for you!

NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER STAY HERE!!! CORPORATE HEAD OFFICE SHOULD BE DOING INSPECTIONS and shutting this place DOWN!

Shame on WYNDHAM!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT book at this hotel!! Disgusting!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ainsley A
sam b, General Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I am really heart broken that you had so many issues when you stayed with us. Our endeavor since we changed the franchise this year is to give an excellent hospitality experience to our guests. That is the reason we have got new TV's, new furniture etc; and other amenities. We do realize that you had a person with special needs, and we did try to make your stay comfortable. Since the new central airconditioning is temp sensitive, the temperature that night fell to 6 degrees and the heaters got activated for the comfort of our other guests; but we did provide you with alternate cool air blowers to keep your special equipment going in your room, which operates at low temperatures. I am indebted to other guests in your party, who were very gracious and kept the noise down when we begged them to do so, when they came back from the wedding party festivities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

My son and I stayed here 1 night for a hockey tourney. I booked the room through www.redtag.ca and when I arrived the girl at the front desk told me that they had no record of me paying through redtag and that I would need to pay or forfeit the room. I explained to her that I have a confirmation through retag for the room and had already paid on my VISA and further to that if I cancel now they would charge me the whole cost of the room again.
She got her manager on the phone who guaranteed me that she would ensure I would not be double charged for the same room and they would refund the $ if retag didn't comply.
I went ahead and used my VISA to pay for the same room I had already booked and later talked in person to the manager (5 pm) to explain the situation to her.
She told me to go ahead and cancel the retag booking and she would personally look after ensuring a full refund of those funds as the issue was theirs and not mine.
After several phone calls to the hotel and Howard Johnsons I am still waiting for my refund for their mix up. (6 months)

* I further would agree with the rest of the reviews on this site and was surprised that this was a Howard Johnsons as the quality of room and service has been HORRIBLE!!!!

Stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jay W
sam b, Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We checked with our staff, and this is a case of the desk clerk advising our guest of the price structure with internet travel agents, telling the guest since they charge upto 20% booking commission, she can save them money by taking them in as a walk in. We understand that was a case of over enthusiastic desk clerk. The guest opted for cancelling the res, and the internet travel agency has to reimburse them. Unfortunately we got the blame just because the desk clerk was giving suggestions which she should not have done in the first place; and she has been warned not to do that again.

Travelers are raving about these Cornwall hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

During July 2013, on our way to Montreal we decided to stay in Cornwall for a night being a long drive to Quebec City. Indeed, we had a memorable stay. The room was large with two cozy queen size beds and a fridge, that in fact added to overall comfort as we had some eatables. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly, and the location is central with just about all the best restaurants in the vicinity. Complimentary, always-on, high-speed wireless internet was my favourite. We will definitely stay in this hotel on our way back because for the price they charge is very competitive. This hotel has everything we wished. We admire the management and operations behind the show.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KW58
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were shocked to see the condition of this Howard Johnson motel - it needs an update and renovation to step out of the 60's. We didn't take off our shoes in the room (carpets were old and dirt stained) and the tub faucet in our room was spraying out the back when you turned on the shower. Shame on the Howard Johnson chain...no excuse for these conditions. Not recommended by our family.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank chapmk2
Uxbridge, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews after I booked so I was pleasantly surprised with a nice clean room. The decor meaning the drapes and curtains have been updated but yes this is a late 70s hotel. The room smelt fine but the rest of the hotel smells like cigarettes which a smoker would not pick up. It looks to me that the hotel has been purchased by an inexperienced owner. The beds are not made correctly and they have tried to save with less staff. The breakfast would have been much better if someone was there to keep things clean and refilled More attention needs to be given to where the food is laid out for food safety hotel was cheap and was good for a one night stop over. The owners are trying and just need to learn the ropes

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank P G
sam b, General Manager at Howard Johnson Cornwall, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you ever so much for your review. I am so glad you noticed that we are better than our reviews. Unfortunately lot of our good reviews are still in the pipeline, and should be posted any day. We appreciate that after reading all the negative reviews you wrote a very unbiased review. Thank you once again. We will keep trying to get better and hope to serve you soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

In my experiences with hotels they should be at par or better, with the inflated prices, than your home. This felt like I stayed in an abandoned building. There were stains on our towels and blankets, the sheets were wrinkly, they felt like cheese cloth against your skin, there were hairs on the floors and gunk on our toilet seat, our blackout blinds even had holes in them! And it smelt like a drunks cologne. This hotel needs renovations badly!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Chris K
Victoria Harbour
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Pulled in and the lone staff member was sitting out front with locals at a picnic table smoking. Check in was fairly quick. The room and bedding appeared clean, but there was a strong moldy smell which did not go away. Upon entering the interior hallways I was thrown back to a bad apartment building from the 70's. All bad and filthy carpet. Even the wall décor was sketchy. When calling the desk to ask for assistance with the non-working air conditioning there was no answer because... you guessed it.. the employee was out front having a smoke. Later, when we were looking for ice we had to approach the front desk. Again, she came in from her smoke and scooped us a bucket of ice. She did come to our room to assist with the air conditioning, but was unable to fix it. In the morning when we proceeded to the breakfast room for the included breakfast, the employee was still there. The breakfast was so lacking that we had to go out to a local restaurant which was an added expense that we had not anticipated. Very disappointing hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family