“Decent place, but had to wait late to check...”

Howard Johnson Cornwall
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Check in was very late, so i had to take off a star for that.

The room was ok. Not modern by any stretch of the imagination, but all the amenities we needed, including two beds, a fridge, Wi-fi and A/C. The room was clean. A little noisy at some points, but never stopped us from a having a good sleep.

Cornwall itself is a small city, but the location of this hotel is very good. It was excellent for us, as everything we needed was very close.

Check-out was the fastest I've ever had.

the price was ok.

Pros
Good sized rooms.
Two comfortable beds.
Cable TV.
Wi-fi.
Location.
Functioning A/C.

Cons
Late check-in.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Check in clerk was not user friendly. Room was not cleaned the next day by as of 3:30 p.m. Other motesl in area are cheaper and cleaner looking.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sid P
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I would not hesitate to tell friends about this hotel. The room was quiet, the bed comfortable, staff exceptionally helpful, excellent morning coffee and the price was right!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2011

This was one of those "I'm driving in around midnight, will be leaving by 7:30 am for a meeting" stays -- all I wanted was a bed. It had that, decent quality (not good, not bad). My room was acceptably clean if a bit shabby, bathroom was clean, towels etc. all in place. It served my needs. The free breakfast wasn't worth eating -- stale donuts, tepid water for tea.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I would NEVER EVER stay again at this hotel even after 13 hours of straight driving and needing a rest. It would have been better to stay in the car! We had the room reserved 1.5 hours before we arrived but upon arrival the computers were shut off for the night (??) and there was no record of our re-paid reservation. So, the single desk person on duty at 6:30 pm was not able to check about our stay. The room was small,dirty and old looking, not well maintained at all. The carpet was very stained and the bed so uncomfortable that it felt like I was just sleeping on the box spring! The pillows were no thicker than 1-1.5 inches. As a result both my spouse and myself did not have a good night's sleep and left only after a few hours of rest. We paid $90 for this night's stop....I really wished that we had not made the reservation to stay at this hotel; in retrospect I would have been much happier to spend another $40 to drive further down the road and have a better room and rest at another hotel. Do not choose this hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CraftNovaScotia
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed here because we had eaten at the Italian restaurant next door - which was open late and delicious, by the way! However, the EconoLodge was disappointing. There were dead bugs behind the night tables - clearly visible when lying in bed. The sink was clogged, so we had to brush our teeth in the bathtub. Since the sink was clogged, we got a nice view of all the random hairs left in the sink that came floating to the top. Nasty. There was a bug in the shower - not that big of a deal, but it made me wonder how many bugs were crawling near me while I slept. To top it off, I left my SoniCare toothbruth there - and when I called, they said that the maids take anything they find home, and I should call back the next day. Well, we were on a road trip, so it's not like I could come back. Those things aren't cheap! And do the maids just keep whatever they find? I would hope they would have a Lost & Found. What if I had left expensive jewelry? My loss, I guess. It wasn't very cheap, either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank idrinkcoffee
Reviewed June 2, 2010

DO NOT stay at this hotel under any circumstances!!! We stayed as a stop over on our way to Niagara Falls and it was a BIG mistake. The room smelled of stale cig smoke, my children from little brown pills on the floor, carpets were dirty, stained and peeling up, the wallpaper was peeling off, water stains all over the walls, and mystery stains on the bed sheets.... We paid $80 for the night and as a bonus I contracted Scabies. My doctor said it is most likely that it was the sheets...So $244.00 worth of medication later to get rid of the scabies Ewwwww. AVOID AT ALL COST!!! Sleep in your car you will be better off.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mummycjl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornwall
Ramada Cornwall
#4 of 7 in Massena
First Canada Inns
First Canada Inns
#5 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Howard Johnson Cornwall? Share your experiences!