Best Western Plus Dryden Hotel & Conference Centre
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Frances
“Winter stay”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was in the Dryden Area for a few nights. There were several children hockey teams staying at the hotel as a tournament was going on. The rooms and common areas were very clean. The food in the bar was good. The staff answered what was asked and didn't volunteer any information.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sheila H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dryden Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to complete your Trip Advisor review. We at Best Western Plus Dryden Hotel and Conference Centre welcome your feedback. We understand that service means anticipating customer needs. This should also apply to information and keeping our guests informed. We will address your comments in ongoing training. We hope you will once again choose Best Western Plus Dryden Hotel & Conference Centre.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recently stayed 2nights at this warm and inviting hotel. Greeted by friendly and very helpful staff. Room was, in detail, beautifully decorated, lovely furniture, 42" flat screen tv and extremely and meticulously clean. My husband and I ate at the B&B grill (twice),located in the hotel. Extensive and versatile menu, accommodating, pleasant staff. Food was great!! AND a sports bar located in the hotel as well. I call that one stop shopping!! I highly recommend this hotel!! Should you decide to stay? Please enjoy as much as we did and will again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had booked 2 rooms as we were in town for a wedding. When we initially called to book the rooms under the "wedding rate", we were told that there were never any rooms booked off and the hotel was fully booked. After calling back suddenly the rooms blocked for the wedding were found and we were able to make our reservation, or so we thought. When we checked in they had booked us for only one night and had us arriving the next day. We then got that sorted out, only to find one room was in the very back of the hotel and was accessible by walking outside in the snow to it or by vehicle and the other room was in the main section of the hotel. When initially asked if they could fix this, we were told there were no other rooms.

So we went to the first room with the vehicle and found the room was still in the process of being cleaned! There were dirty linens balled up on the floor, a dirty pillow on the bed and the other door to hall wide open. Back to the check-in counter where this threw them through a loop. Finally they were able to move the second room onto the second floor of the hotel.

We tried to rent a movie on one of days and it wouldn't work. When we approached the front desk about the issue we were told we had to put a $60 cash deposit down to rent a movie. When pointed out that they had our credit card on file and they could put a $60 hold on it, we were told "I guess we could do that". It never happened and we were never able to watch a movie, as when we followed up we were told "It got really busy down here, you know".

The hotel itself was nice and clean (although not once the hockey people arrived and were throwing food every where in the halls) and located on the Trans Canada highway, but with the poor management of the hotel it leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sheila H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dryden Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for expressing your comments. I remember that mix up with the wedding block of rooms, and unfortunately it was due to a lack of communication between departments and normal block room procedures. We have had a large turn-over of staff over the last 6 months, and they are still training. I have seen this issue in other instances as well. As the General Manager I have spoken with Best Western International to find better training opportunities for my staff so that we can provide our customers with the service they deserve. I apologize for the problems with your stay and want to assure you that I am working on these issues, with all the departments concerned.
Sheila Hendricken,
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a hockey tournament in March or April 2012. This is a lovely hotel. The desk staff greeted us and checked us in within 5 minutes of our arrival. At no point during our 2 night stay did we have any issues with the keys not working (which I encounter most places).

Our room was on the second floor, and I was pleased to see that I had got the 2 queen beds I asked for and that my friends, whom I also booked, were right next door and got the bedding they requested as well.

The hotel is very well looked after and the rooms look re-done and new. Beds are VERY comfortable and nice furnishing in the room and excellent bed coverings. Bathroom is clean and we never had issues with water.

I think there is a restaurant and a pool here, but I did not use them.

This hotel is in a good location, close to pretty much everything in Dryden and it is right off the highway.

I plan on staying here again when I return.

Room Tip: Didn't explore the hotel - but we had a room just up the stairs from the lobby, which was excell...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2012

A quality place to take a break when enroute Winnipeg/Thunder Bay.

The staff was courtious and friendly.

The restaurant is nicely decorated and spacious and serves excellent menu choices.

My room was clean and comfortable. The mattress and pillows were of good quality and in excellent condition.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S. after staying the previous night in Terrace Bay and then passing through Thunder Bay to see the Terry Fox statue...it was time to pull off the Trans Canada Hwy. for the night and get some long overdue sleep. Didn't have a reservation so just walked up tho the service desk with my fingers crossed and they did!
What a relief! Room was clean, comfortable, and faced the outside back parking lot so I could keep a watchful eye on my little German import. On site restaurant was surprisingly good so there was no need to go anywhere for late dinner or breakfast the next morning which was fine by me.
I had a minor problem with the wifi but found out there are different areas in the building that use different wifi so the one in the restaurant worked fine while there but back in your room you have to select a different one from the menu...problem solved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sheila H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dryden Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. I really enjoy hearing the wonderful feedback on our guests visit. We all work very hard to bring a unique package and enjoyable stay to all our guests. I will share this with my entire team.
Sheila Hendricken
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

All in all, this is a very nice hotel. Very clean, and quiet. Will stay again. No breakfast included, but you get a discount if you eat at the restaurant. Vending machines did not work on our floor, but found one to work upstairs. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple