“Classic service in a beautiful old building.”

The School Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 671 Restaurants in Markham
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I reserved this restaurant for a large business group based on the TripAdvisor rating. It did not disappoint! The School is a classic, old school, fine dining joint. Professional, seasoned waiters, large portions, and crisp tablecloths – you get the picture… Opt for the caesar salad (made fresh at your table) and wash it down with a delicious caesar from the bar. It would be hard to do better than The School for a celebratory business dinner. Steamed lobster was excellent and steaks/prime rib cuts were enormous. I can’t wait to return.

1  Thank thirty-something72

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've had the pleasure of dining here several times and had my wedding reception here. All occasions we had exceptional service. The staff are always friendly and professional. Food is amazing. Definitely love the prime rib and salmon wished. This restaurant is 5 stars in my books.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Yesterday I took my mother & mother-in-law the the School restaurant in Markham. Having been there a number of years ago I had expected the same quality of food & service. All i got was the same quality of service. The menu was boring and the food was not much better. The shrimp had no flavour in the shrimp cocktail, the soup was tasteless and it looked like the croutons on the Caesar salad came from a box. I had the tuna and was the only person at our table that seemed satisfied with their meal. Maybe they don't put the best chefs on lunch service. We will not be having our annual mothers day lunch there next year, especially at $300 for a party of five.

4  Thank GraCin5758
Reviewed March 9, 2013

only 15 minutes from home!

The restaurant is located in an old schoolhouse brought up to date in every respect except enough light to read a menu by. Well, we managed. ;)

The atmosphere of the place is good, tables are generously spaced, waiters are attentive and service is excellent. On this Saturday night, there was live piano music, and we were seated in immediate vicinity of it. It wasn't long before it got on my nerves and I requested a different table. No problem. In the new location the music sounded subdued and quite pleasant.

We started out with a Caesar salad for two. It's a long time since we have had it prepared at the table, and it's also a long time since we have had one this good. It alone would be reason enough to come back here. Just generally I noticed that the restaurant appears to prepare quite a few things at the table, from crepes suzette to fancy coffees. They also serve desserts from a trolley. Haven't seen that in a long time either. Maybe we don't frequent the right places.

We both found our mains tasty and plentiful. So we passed on the dessert trolley.

The meals are not cheap, but also not shamelessly expensive. What we had was full value for the cost. Highly recommended for a special occasion.

1  Thank ergoe
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have had two meals here and both were exceptional. The qualityof the food, its preparation and the service couldn't have been better. It is on the expensive side at about $70 pp but for a special occasion well worth it.