“surprisingly good”

Ranked #25 of 662 Restaurants in Markham
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Esna Park Dr.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I tried this restaurant. It is located in an industrial neighbourhood, which was a bit of a disappointment. The menu had something for everyone. The portions are generous and the caeser salad was large enough to share as an appetizer. The food was delicious, hot and freshly prepared. The staff were really friendly which is always a bonus.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have been to this restaurant as a couple, with friends and in a very large group (80 plus people) and every time the service and food have been excellent. Professional service (with a sense of humour no less). Good menu, good prices. Lovely decor and good atmosphere. In the summer the windows open out in full to the outdoors which is very nice. We like the entertainment, so have no complaints in that regard.

1  Thank wepaktogo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

First, I rarely give a 5 for anything, so this one means something.

I met a business associate here for lunch; the outside is not very impressive, especially because there is a large construction site between it and the road. Inside was lovely. I was greeted quickly, and the staff was friendly without being too familiar.

The service and food was stupendous. I married into an Italian family 25 years ago, so I typically don't go to Italian restaurants, and this wasn't my pick. But everything was fresh and delicious, and as good - OR BETTER - than my mother-in-law's cooking.

I must mention that the bruschetta was amazing. It's a simple thing, but the last few restaurants I've been to in the Toronto area, are all using tomatoes from California, during peak tomato season in Ontario! These were fresh, plump, vine-ripened-in-the-sun tomatoes, and you could taste the difference.

The tiramisu was heaven, and the macchiato coffee at the end was full-bodied and smooth.

At the end of the meal, as my business colleague and I were enjoying the last swallow of coffee, one of the wait staff took it upon himself to clean the tables all around us with a very strong chemical that completely ruined the meal, literally leaving us with a bad taste in our mouths.

We asked to speak to the manager, and she was horrified and immediately took it up with the wait staff. She offered to compensate us, but we refused. It was more about making sure it didn't happen the next time either of us went there - because I am sure we are both going back.

Highly highly recommended.

1  Thank Michele F
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We had a wedding dinner party for 37 people and we dont regret choosing Carmelina over other Italian restaurants. Amazing food and service! The staff was accommodating and very friendly.
My wife and I would certainly recommend choosing Carmelina!
Talal

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stubled on here by accident. Actually it looked closed but I tried the door anyway. The decor is fabulous. More of a Greek look than Italian.
Very large assortment on the menu. I decided to pick the seafood pasta special in a slightly spicy rose sauce. It was very good and the seafood was cooked perfect. My girlfriend ordered the veal Marsala. The veal was cooked perfect but the sauce was missing something. It just didn't quite make it. The roasted potatoes were really good.
Also, we ordered an Italian wine that was very good.
The service was really good as well.
Liked the bread.
I would go back here again.
It's a feel good restaurant and the food was good.
I would try something else next time though.
It's rare to go to a restaurant and have trouble picking what to order.
This is a worth trying restaurant.