“Nice little Japanese-Italian cafe”
Review of Shiso Tree Cafe

Shiso Tree Cafe
Ranked #55 of 691 Restaurants in Markham
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you're looking for sushi, don't go here. If you love pasta with a little bit of a twist, this is the place to go. The little cafe is a nice little spot in a small Japanese mall.

They have a small area setup for live music which I think is offered Friday and Saturday nights (could also be for weeknights, not too sure). Servers are attentive and the place can get crowded and noisy during busy times.

Pasta dishes are from $10 and up. Includes salad and garlic toast. For another $8 you can get soup and a dessert. Everyday, there are specials marked on the board and sometimes the specials are so popular they sell out!

The pastas with a twist have a bit of Japanese flare to it. Shredded seaweed is usually place on top so if you don't want that, tell your server. I had the mushroom pasta which had a small variety of Asian mushrooms with their house made soy sauce. Nicely done! We also tried the Napolitan which has a bit of meat in it. This was not very good as it was on the sweet side and tasted like they used ketchup.

The fries are good, no matter what type you order. We had the fries bolognese for $7 and it was a meal in itself. Good sized to share with 4 people and quite tasty!

As for their desserts, the server will bring a tray to show you what they have. The dessert menu changes almost on a daily basis, so if they don't have something you've had there before they simply don't have it for that day.

Would have given a five star rating but a couple of their pasta dishes are not hits and a dessert menu that varies from day to day might not be cool with some people. The cafe is small in size so when it gets busy, it will be noisy and crowded. Nice place for couples but probably for an early or late dinner.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Yōshoku - refers to the Western influenced dish in Japanese cuisine is a very popular idea in Japan. There are so many yōshoku places in Tokyo alone but seldom see them in Torontoian Japanese restaurant.

Shiso Tree cafe carried some very interesting pasta dishes that brought our memories back from our Japan trip a few years ago. Overall Shiso Tree cafe has its own uniqueness and we are pleased to try at this place.

We tried their Nori Fries (Fries with seaweed) and Okonomiyaki Fries (Fries with the Japanese pancake flavour). Both are very interesting. I'd prefer the Okonomiyaki Fries as they are less salty.

The main pasta dishes we ordered included - Cabana (soft poached egg mixed with pasta, cheese and bacon); Sukiyaki (soup beef with vegetables), Anago (eel pasta), and the Okonomiyaki pasta. All of them tasted very unique. We like the pasta being cooked al dente.

The dessert selection was quite good, but most of the desserts have the same ingredient - a dough, red bean paste, whipped cream, green tea powder / sauce. If you have to choose one to try, I'd recommended the toast with red bean pasted. That was the most outstanding combination.

We had a great dinner there. Would love to go back again.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Located in J-Town, the restaurant is based off of serving Italian pasta, but the twist is that they make all the sauces and dressings Japanese style. We ordered a couple of different dishes including the Nori Fries for the appetizer, the Shrimp Okonomoyaki pasta and a couple of the daily specials and it was amazing. As it was our first time there, we decided to order their pasta set for $8 additional and that included a salad, soup, and a slice of their selected cakes. We thought it was not worth the extra $8 but the dessert was not just a tiny slice of cake. Service and atmosphere was friendly and excellent.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

A friend and I came here for afternoon tea. I had the Sencha pear and it was good. My friend ordered the soup of the day (it was presented appealingly and delicious). We also shared the sesame creme brulee and crepe with roasted coconut ice cream and pineapple. They were delicious! Unfortunately, the fries weren't available that afternoon. We want to come back and try some of the pasta and have some fries.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I first started eating here when it was brand new. Nice cozy environment located in Jtown. It would pass as romantic too. The quality and quantity of the food was awesome. The house salad was the best salad I ever had (mixed greens with lots of their home-made sauce, yum!) The salmon and Eel pasta are my fav.(Tarako is pretty good too but a little plain) Cake I would recommend the Rare Cheesecake (cheesecake with a hint of lemon taste), green tea red bean cake, and the Tiramisu. Drinks - definitely the Strawberry Creme and Red Bean milkshake. Nori fries are delicious too.

A year later when I revisited I was disappointed to find that the quality and quantity of the food dropped. The pasta was not as soft as it used to be, it was very dry - didn't have enough sauce..and prices went up but that's fine. I still thought the price was fair. The dinner set is the best way to go - comes with soup, salad, pasta, and dessert.
Overall, it was still good but could be better.