“I would stay here again”

Monte Carlo Inn Toronto Markham
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Markham
Reviewed July 31, 2007

My husband & i stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed our stay. For the rate that we were given, I would give it a 3 1/2. The voucher coupons that you had to retrieve each morning, gave you a normal continental breakfast....coffee, tea, juice(which I guess would be my biggest complaint...I think it was an orange drink and not juice) cereal, bread(whole wheat & white) pastry's & fresh fruit salad. For an upgrade of 3.95 you could get a hot breakfast, which was not too bad(although I don't think the cook knows what eggs over medium means). The staff was very polite and respectful, house keeping.....the ladies are the best..went out of there way to make sure I had every thing we needed. Its miniutes away from everything. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant so I cannot comment onmeals served at the restaurant although they were always busy for there supper hour. Would I stay here again...indeed I would.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Monte Carlo Inn Toronto Markham

Reviewed July 11, 2007

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel in our first anniversary. We booked the jacuzzi room from their website. Big mistake!
I contacted them by email and also by phone. The rate I was given was for the whole stay (3 nights). I asked them on the phone several times and also got an email confirming that the rate was for the 3 nights. However, at the time we checked out, I was surprised by a huge invoice. The rate was actually for each night! I spoke to the Hotel manager, even showed her the email confirming the rate, but they didn't change the rate. They were very rude and even added some extra "gratuities" charges in my invoice that I never signed for. I left Toronto really mad!!!
The hotel was fine, it isn't great, but it is fine. The room was spacious and the jacuzzi was ok. The hotel hallways smelled like curry.
It is located a little far from Downtown, but if you are driving it isn't a problem. They have a big parking lot.
The hotel restaurant is weak, the food isn't good and the service is bad.
I won't go back there for sure. I do not recommend staying at this hotel, good customer service and respect for the clients is essential

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gremio
Reviewed November 17, 2006

We stayed here for two nights on 11/14-11/15. The hotel is surrounded by an industrial park with office buildings and warehouses; however, many restaurants, e.g., Tim Horton's, Swiss Chalet, 3 Indian restaurants, 1 steakhouse, many Oriental restaurants, and stores, e.g., Costco, assorted small stores, are within walking distance or <2 minute driving distance.

The hotel parking lot surrounds the hotel building and it is well-lit and free. I had an unobstructed view of my car from my 3rd story room. The hallways are also well-lit and looked and smelled clean. My 2-queen nonsmoking room was huge and contained a small desk for my laptop. Wireless internet worked, but very slowly (I think it was B and not G). The television picture was clear and the TV had functioning closed-captioning when viewing regular channels; however, the closed-captioning did not work with a movie that I ordered through the hotel channel (not good for hard of hearing people like myself). I slept good enough on the beds. The bathroom was a good size, but the bathtub is a little slippery and there was no rubber tub mat (I had to put a towel in the tub for traction). A couple of towels had light black stains (reason for 4 and not 5 rating). My toilet got clogged, but I was able to obtain a plunger from the front desk in no time at 12:15 AM and clear the clog myself.

Breakfast came with the room, but I did not eat it. You need to obtain a voucher from the front desk every morning and take it to the hotel restaurant. My room mate tried it once and said that the breakfast was only coffee/tea and some pastries. We ate breakfast at the Golden Griddle down the street on Woodbine and at a Wimpy's outside of the general area en route to our morning tourist destination. All times are door-to-door: it took us 27 min to arrive in Little India (Gerrard St) @ 5:45 PM and 25 min to arrive at Kensington Market (Spadina & Dundas) @ 1:15 PM. Pacific Mall (Chinese stores) and Markville Mall (regular stores) were less than 10 min away too. Highway 404 gets crowded after 5:30 PM, but we avoided the traffic by taking parallel neighborhood streets (we are tourists and were not in any hurry, and more importantly, we made many discoveries using these off-the-beaten-path roads).

I would stay here again.

Other observations: we passed many of the other Monte Carlo Inns during our driving throughout Toronto, Hwy 7 E, home via Niagara Falls, and here are some quick observations on them: (1) MC Toronto West--central location, but on a very busy road. Lots of stores, but the area seemed well-worn. Too much hustle and bustle; (2) MC Vaughan & Brampton--too far to serve as bases to explore Toronto, but one of them was next to a Walmart and many stores (can't remember which hotel); (3) MC Oakville--right on the QEW and across from a mall on the other side of the QEW, but nothing else seemed to be around it. Very isolated.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2006

The Monte Carlo Inn is excellent in some ways (welcoming, clean room, good price for what you get) but not so good in others. The two main complaints I had was that I was there on business for an extended amount of time only they have no laundry facilities. They offered to send out my clothes to be washed but it was a minimum of $4.00 per article! Also they have no pool, only an excercie room, but two of the machines in it were broken. The breakfast is good and served in a nice restaurant. The internet worked well in my room, which was an executive suite, so it had two nice TVs and a good desk to work from. All in all it's a good location near Buttonville Airport but the fact that they have no laundry room makes me not want to stay there any longer than a week and a half.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Reservation:
I made the reservation through the hotel's own website. Since I reserved more than one room, they considered this to be a group reservation and the cancellation policy changed from 24 hours to 72 hours prior to arrival. This was totally unexpected.

I have read the other reviews on this site and I was really anxious about the possiblity of a last minute switch to smoking rooms. One of my friends also had the bad fortune of being switched to smoking room at this property upon his arrival last year. I really couldn't take smoking rooms because of the small children. Fortunately they gave us all non-smoking rooms. However, I happened to witness some other customers having room type changed and was having an issue with the front desk. I was not sure if it was related to smoking vs non-smoking rooms.

The property:
It was a pretty small hotel. The landscape was neat and well maintained. The property and the rooms were quite clean. The beds and mattresses were really comfortable. I really enjoyed the sleeping experience there and so did the people travelled with me. However, the room lighting was inadequate. I guess that was why they advertised their property to be a place for a romantic getaway in the Markham business district.

The corridors were not air-conditioned. There were many ceiling air outlets in the corridors. But the corridors were really warm during our stay (in summer time). I checked with one of the staff and I was told that they turned off the A/C in the corridor to save money. This was the biggest complaint I had with this place.

It had a fitness center in the basement but it was not well publicized. I happened to see it when I ventured off for something else.

The service:
Others had made comments about the unfriendly service at this place. Maybe they were right. But I think the staff were quite helpful. They did not give me big grins every time I walked by the front desk but they helped and solved my problems whenever I asked. One of them actually walked to my room with me to check things out personally. Smile or no smile did not bother me. I think the service was quite good.

The breakfast:
I had the basic (free) breakfast buffet. They had the typical bagels, pastries, croissants, coffee, orange and grape juice (not sure if it was 100% juice though), milk (in a jar), a big bowl of fruits, plus other smaller items. I did not pay the $3 to upgrade for the eggs and bacons. The issue here was that they were very slow to put out more food when it ran out. During my brief breakfast I saw they ran out of utensiles, napkins, coffee mugs, juice, milk, pastries, fruits, ... etc. It was no Hampton or Fairfield Inns' continental breakfast.

Overall, this is a pretty good place to stay in the Markham area. I think the hotel was well managed. For about $5 to $10 more than the Howard Johnson south of Hwy 7, I would stay at this place again.

My dislike of this place are:
(1) their reservation system does not work well enough to give me confidence on what to expect before arrival;
(2) the hotel management is running the place too tight (like not air-condition the corridors and providing minimal food for the breakfast buffet).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank chicagoan5
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 28, 2005

I stayed at this hotel in late October 2005 after read several reviews in the TripAdvisor, but it really let me down. We booked the non-smoking room by phone 4 days before we check in and had well informed the staff that we will check in late around 11pm as we were returned from New York that day. When we arrived, the only room available for us was a smoking room, and there was only one room left, we have no other choice but to take it as it was almost 11pm at night. The room was one floor under the ground floor, smoke odour, very dim but we could not open the curtain because outside the window was a pathway and car parking area. The internet in the room also no working. We supposed to stay 2 nights, but could not stand for it any more so decided to check out the next day. In conclusion, I will not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 11, 2005

Stayed there for a week at a very good rate in the Exceutive Suite. The room was clean everyday and the best I have seen. THe front desk staff were all helpful and Dean the manager was soo awnsome. The resturant was the best food I have eaten and they have the best cook in the world. Can't wait to come back. I gurateed you can't find a lower rate in any hotel in that area.

• Stayed: November 2005