“Good hotel but not great”

Monte Carlo Inn Toronto Markham
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Markham
chicago
“Good hotel but not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2006

Reservation:
I made the reservation through the hotel's own website. Since I reserved more than one room, they considered this to be a group reservation and the cancellation policy changed from 24 hours to 72 hours prior to arrival. This was totally unexpected.

I have read the other reviews on this site and I was really anxious about the possiblity of a last minute switch to smoking rooms. One of my friends also had the bad fortune of being switched to smoking room at this property upon his arrival last year. I really couldn't take smoking rooms because of the small children. Fortunately they gave us all non-smoking rooms. However, I happened to witness some other customers having room type changed and was having an issue with the front desk. I was not sure if it was related to smoking vs non-smoking rooms.

The property:
It was a pretty small hotel. The landscape was neat and well maintained. The property and the rooms were quite clean. The beds and mattresses were really comfortable. I really enjoyed the sleeping experience there and so did the people travelled with me. However, the room lighting was inadequate. I guess that was why they advertised their property to be a place for a romantic getaway in the Markham business district.

The corridors were not air-conditioned. There were many ceiling air outlets in the corridors. But the corridors were really warm during our stay (in summer time). I checked with one of the staff and I was told that they turned off the A/C in the corridor to save money. This was the biggest complaint I had with this place.

It had a fitness center in the basement but it was not well publicized. I happened to see it when I ventured off for something else.

The service:
Others had made comments about the unfriendly service at this place. Maybe they were right. But I think the staff were quite helpful. They did not give me big grins every time I walked by the front desk but they helped and solved my problems whenever I asked. One of them actually walked to my room with me to check things out personally. Smile or no smile did not bother me. I think the service was quite good.

The breakfast:
I had the basic (free) breakfast buffet. They had the typical bagels, pastries, croissants, coffee, orange and grape juice (not sure if it was 100% juice though), milk (in a jar), a big bowl of fruits, plus other smaller items. I did not pay the $3 to upgrade for the eggs and bacons. The issue here was that they were very slow to put out more food when it ran out. During my brief breakfast I saw they ran out of utensiles, napkins, coffee mugs, juice, milk, pastries, fruits, ... etc. It was no Hampton or Fairfield Inns' continental breakfast.

Overall, this is a pretty good place to stay in the Markham area. I think the hotel was well managed. For about $5 to $10 more than the Howard Johnson south of Hwy 7, I would stay at this place again.

My dislike of this place are:
(1) their reservation system does not work well enough to give me confidence on what to expect before arrival;
(2) the hotel management is running the place too tight (like not air-condition the corridors and providing minimal food for the breakfast buffet).

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chicagoan5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2005

I stayed at this hotel in late October 2005 after read several reviews in the TripAdvisor, but it really let me down. We booked the non-smoking room by phone 4 days before we check in and had well informed the staff that we will check in late around 11pm as we were returned from New York that day. When we arrived, the only room available for us was a smoking room, and there was only one room left, we have no other choice but to take it as it was almost 11pm at night. The room was one floor under the ground floor, smoke odour, very dim but we could not open the curtain because outside the window was a pathway and car parking area. The internet in the room also no working. We supposed to stay 2 nights, but could not stand for it any more so decided to check out the next day. In conclusion, I will not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2005

Stayed there for a week at a very good rate in the Exceutive Suite. The room was clean everyday and the best I have seen. THe front desk staff were all helpful and Dean the manager was soo awnsome. The resturant was the best food I have eaten and they have the best cook in the world. Can't wait to come back. I gurateed you can't find a lower rate in any hotel in that area.

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2005

We cannot leave this place it is that awnsome. We didn't have a reservation but they were able to give us a standrad room with 2 queen size beds for $89 the best deal in Markham or the GTA. The room was very clean and the front desk staff ere very polite. We orginally going to stay for 1 night but we kept adding a night and another and on the third night they gave us a free upgrade to an Excetuive suite which has a little sitting area and the best bed i've ever slept on. We are still here for another night. We will be here for a toal of 6. Eat at there resturant for the best food in the world. Everything at the hotel is perfect I can not get enough of this place.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank wwe_j_b_l
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2005

Very nice hotel, clean and comfortable rooms!!!

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2005

We stayed at the Monte Carlo Inn at Markham for our vacation in Toronto Canada. The hotel was a pleasant surprise because it measured up to all the wonderful reviews we had read about it. My fiancee was really surprised at how close everything was and how nice and new the hotel felt and looked. All the rooms were exceptionally clean and taken care of really well. The restaurant at the hotel had excellent food and down the road were some wonderful restuarants like the Mandarian Buffet all you can eat oriental and american food, Swiss Chalet, Tomatto all you can eat Italian restaurant. The bed was extremely comfortable and room was a good size. The best part was on our last day we got one of the special suites which had a whirlpool tub french doors leading into the bedroom it was pretty romantic and great for a last day there. All the rooms have fridges, microwaves, and a coffemaker. There is also a free continental breakfast but if you want a warm breakfast its only 3 dollars to upgrade to one. The Zoo, Science Musem, Canada's Wonderland is only 20 minutes away and downtown Toronto is only 30 minutes away. And Wild water kingdom was about 30 Minutes away but worth checking out if you love water parks. Also best part was the staff who made sure your stay was an experience you would remember in a good way.
Cost, Location, Cleanliness, and Staff are all 4 star as far we are concerned. And parking is free unlike most hotels in the downtown area which charge extra per day.
Check it out great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2005

We stayed at the Monte Carlo Markham last weekend and we were very very impressed with all aspects of our stay. From Check in to Check out it was a great experience. The staff was very pleasent and helpful. The room was beautiful and we the price very affordable. We dined in La Piazetta Restaurant and had a fantastic meal and the waiting staff was also very pleasant. The business Centre and free high speed was very useful as well. Would definitly return to any of the Monte Carlo's....

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member