I made the reservation through the hotel's own website. Since I reserved more than one room, they considered this to be a group reservation and the cancellation policy changed from 24 hours to 72 hours prior to arrival. This was totally unexpected.
I have read the other reviews on this site and I was really anxious about the possiblity of a last minute switch to smoking rooms. One of my friends also had the bad fortune of being switched to smoking room at this property upon his arrival last year. I really couldn't take smoking rooms because of the small children. Fortunately they gave us all non-smoking rooms. However, I happened to witness some other customers having room type changed and was having an issue with the front desk. I was not sure if it was related to smoking vs non-smoking rooms.
It was a pretty small hotel. The landscape was neat and well maintained. The property and the rooms were quite clean. The beds and mattresses were really comfortable. I really enjoyed the sleeping experience there and so did the people travelled with me. However, the room lighting was inadequate. I guess that was why they advertised their property to be a place for a romantic getaway in the Markham business district.
The corridors were not air-conditioned. There were many ceiling air outlets in the corridors. But the corridors were really warm during our stay (in summer time). I checked with one of the staff and I was told that they turned off the A/C in the corridor to save money. This was the biggest complaint I had with this place.
It had a fitness center in the basement but it was not well publicized. I happened to see it when I ventured off for something else.
Others had made comments about the unfriendly service at this place. Maybe they were right. But I think the staff were quite helpful. They did not give me big grins every time I walked by the front desk but they helped and solved my problems whenever I asked. One of them actually walked to my room with me to check things out personally. Smile or no smile did not bother me. I think the service was quite good.
I had the basic (free) breakfast buffet. They had the typical bagels, pastries, croissants, coffee, orange and grape juice (not sure if it was 100% juice though), milk (in a jar), a big bowl of fruits, plus other smaller items. I did not pay the $3 to upgrade for the eggs and bacons. The issue here was that they were very slow to put out more food when it ran out. During my brief breakfast I saw they ran out of utensiles, napkins, coffee mugs, juice, milk, pastries, fruits, ... etc. It was no Hampton or Fairfield Inns' continental breakfast.
Overall, this is a pretty good place to stay in the Markham area. I think the hotel was well managed. For about $5 to $10 more than the Howard Johnson south of Hwy 7, I would stay at this place again.
My dislike of this place are:
(1) their reservation system does not work well enough to give me confidence on what to expect before arrival;
(2) the hotel management is running the place too tight (like not air-condition the corridors and providing minimal food for the breakfast buffet).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Monte Carlo Inn - Toronto Markham™ hotel was designed and built to provide guests with the ultimate in luxury, comfort and value. Conveniently situated in the heart of the high-tech capital of Canada and nestled just north of Highway #7, our hotel in Markham, Ontario is close enough to where you need to be, but far enough to make us a welcoming oasis. With three major highways in close proximity and shopping districts, Angus Glen Golf Course, and a host of local restaurants and attractions minutes away, our location and quality will pleasantly surprise you. Because Markham is known as a hub for business activity, our hotel caters to both the business and leisure traveler. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Monte Carlo Inn Toronto Markham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monte Carlo Inns Markham Hotel Markham
- Monte Carlo Hotel Markham
- Monte Carlo Markham
- Monte Carlo Inn Toronto Markham Ontario