“Safe Haven for A Conference Attendee”

Courtyard Toronto Markham
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Markham
Reviewed November 18, 2012

For a hotel in the middle of nowhere, it served its purpose. I was attending a conference across the road at the terrible Sheraton, and as a loyal Marriott member, chose the Courtyard instead.

I was kindly upgraded to a Jacuzzi room, which was nearly identical to the one I had in Orlando, but without the balcony and of course the warm sunshine. The a/c and heating unit worked well and I managed to maintain a constant temperature in my large room. Shower strength was excellent and there was a complimentary bottle of water and snack in my room as a Platinum member. One feature I love in Canadian hotels is the blue recycling bin.

I’m not a huge fan of the Bistro concept now introduced at most Courtyards, but it seemed busy on most nights. I did note a Tim Horton’s a short distance away.

I thought some of the staff at the Courtyard were outstanding but others required a little more training.

The hotel seemed to be popular with sports teams and teenagers on the weekend. Luckily, I was on a quiet floor and slept well.

The hotel is a very expensive cab ride to downtown Toronto, and most of the restaurants within walking distance are Chinese, Indian or of the chain variety, but it provided a safe, clean and comfortable haven from the chaos of a conference. A very solid 3 ½ out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Wembleygal
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Toronto Markham, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Wembleygal,
Toronto Markham. We're pleased you chose to stay with us while attending your conference. I'm glad you found our rooms clean and comfortable, and I'm glad you enjoyed your complimentary water and snack. Please plan to visit us again soon.
David Hopper, General Manager

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My son's hockey team stayed at this hotel last weekend and we enjoyed our visit. The rooms were spacious and clean. The housekeeping was very quick to respond to your needs. The pool was a little small but the kids enjoyed it none the less. The parents enjoyed lounging in the spacious lobby area without disturbing other guests and hotel staff.

• Stayed: November 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Toronto Markham, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

TBM2011,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Courtyard Toronto Markham. We appreciate having you and your hockey team stay with us. I'm glad to hear that the team had a good time at the pool and the parents enjoyed relaxing in the lobby area. We greatly appreciate your kind consideration for the other guests! We wish for your team a great season and hope to see all of you again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a family event in Toronto and cousin booked hotel. Great rate. Clean room. Great Starbucks cafe and food. had an issue with loud teens running around and called the front desk; they immediately sent someone up to patrol it.

Room Tip: I made a special request and got rm 431, end of hallway, which was great
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Bos2nTraveler01,

Thank you for your kind review. We're glad your cousin booked with us! It's also great to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our hotel. I hope you had a nice time with your family as well. Please plan to visit us again the next time you're in Toronto. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is close to 404 and 7 north of the city. great location although there is a lot of road construction going on . The hotel is fresh and has a great lobby the check in was swift and the staff was very friendly.they have wifi everywhere. There is a pool and a hot tub both very nice.They also have a lil gym that is 24 hr.parking is free which makes a nice change. l had a tub room nice and big for 2 lots of hot water was worth the extra.There is a bistro style cafe in the lobby for light snacks and some dinner options it kind of a order at the counter and they bring it to you service was a lil slow think they could have gave the cook a server to help.Food was ok but many other name places within 5 mins of the hotel.Shopping malls and movies are close.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Toronto Markham, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

noneck-11,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to have had you as our guest, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad you liked our hotel as well as our friendly and helpful staff. We hope you'll continue to make us your choice hotel for the Toronto area, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

In Toronto for a few days for work. Hotel is WEST of the airport in an industrial area of town. Freeway's under heavy heavy construction around airport and city. Best option is to obtain rental car provided GPS to help you navigate through the detours (and there will be plenty!). Hotel sits near freeway so good quick location. Now for the hotel. Standard Marriott Courtyard but with FANTASTIC beds. Pillow tops best I have slept on. Hotel floors in halls could use new carpet but the bar and amenities in lobby are good. Great business stay hotel. Remember, get your GPS to help you navigate this very difficult city to get around in.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to be a bit more quite
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

JayJay1011,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Toronto Markham. We're glad you chose to stay with us and liked our hotel. It's great to hear we have the best beds you've ever slept on too! Your recommendations for other viewers will be very helpful with regards to using a GPS. We appreciate your compliments and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

After a long 5 hour flight to Toronto and then a 40 minute drive to hotel, we got to the lobby and no one was at the desk. The assistant was over at the Bistro buying food, which wasnt a major problem to me. We checked in and headed up the elevator. I might add the lobby is very modern and I love the decor. The carpet on the second floor smelled a little foul, i guess like any hotel does. We enter the room and it was very spacious and we were very satisfied with the size. The downside was the smoke alarm kept beeping intermittently for the first night. We didnt know what it was so left it alone. The Air conditioning/heat was taking no settnings that we input and was working on a mind of its own. The second night, the smoke detector got worst and i called the front desk. A gentleman came up and said he was going to change the battery. He then proceeded to take the chair we had for sitting on in our room, and laid a towel out and stood on it to change the battery in the smoke detector. Now I believe this is totally unacceptable as a maintenance man should walk with a ladder. I then asked him to look at the Air Conditioning control and the gentleman proceeded to go to the Unit. He as a maintenance man should know that the Temperature is controlled by a control on the wall by the bathroom and not the unit itself as the knobs are broken off. I then realized he did not know what he was doing and didnt want him to screw it up, so I asked him to leave.
This i would say was my worst experience of the trip. Who would want a maintenance man standing on a chair I sit on in his shoes, even if he laid down a towel or not. UNACCEPTABLE

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Toronto Markham, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Shaun S,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you enjoyed our hotel. I have read your comments in their entirety and assure you we will discuss them in our next staff meeting. I apologize for any inconvenience your maintenance issues may have caused during your stay. We would love to have you stay with us again as we ensure a more positive visit.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The lobby is nicely appointed and check in was fast & friendly. The room and hotel itself was quiet and relaxing. Upon my return in the afternoon, there was a strong cigarette smell in the room. Upon leaving shortly thereafter for dinner, I notified the front desk staff on the way out. They acted concerned and immediately checked the surrounding area. I did not hear anything further, but when I returned later, the smell was gone. There are several restaurants a couple of blocks away if you don’t mind a short walk, but in the cold it would be too far. I would return, however, there are several hotels in the vicinity and this one would be my second choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank patsgo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Toronto Markham, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

patsgo,
Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your business, and we're glad you chose to stay with us at Courtyard. I'm glad to hear you had a quiet and relaxing stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience the cigarette smell caused, and I'm glad our staff was able to take care of it. We would love to have you return as our guest again the next time you visit Markham.