“Tasty Taiwanese Braised Beef Noodle Soup”

Mei Nung Beef Noodle House
Ranked #61 of 640 Restaurants in Markham
Cuisines: Asian, Taiwanese, Soups, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Detroit, Michigan
“Tasty Taiwanese Braised Beef Noodle Soup”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Because I spend a lot of time in Michigan, one of the things that I really miss eating after a long duration is Braised Beef Noodle Soup. It's always when you really want it, you can't have it. Since the drive over to Toronto/GTA isn't too far, Husband and I come occasionally when we really need our Asian noodle soup fixing.

Let me tell you this. This place has solid beef noodle soup. It is definitely one of the closest ones you will find in terms of Taiwanese beef noodle soup outside of Taiwan itself.

The broth was earthy, full of fragrant star anise, and not too much soy sauce. I loathe having beef noodle soup where the broth tastes flat and oozes nothing but soy sauce, but this one was great. It's prepared just how it should be: with a tomato base. Not too salty or oily, we were excited.

The noodles were great in that they were fresh and homemade, and the tender chunks of beef brisket were marinated and braised just the right amount of time. Too many times have I been to a noodle house and ordered this dish, only to find that the meat they gave was old, rubbery, and nothing but tough tendon. This bowl had NONE of that! Woo hoo!

Add the sour pickled greens and a few leaves of baby bok choy, and this was one scrumptious, simple meal. I only wish that they gave more of the sour pickled greens to enhance the broth's flavor, but it was still good nonetheless.

They have 2 sizes for the noodles, and the regular size is a good amount if you're not super hungry. It was a little too much for me, but Husband said it was just right for him.

I'd definitely come back again for the beef noodle soup!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank tycl516

Toronto, Canada
“It tastes alright, but we won't be going back”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My wife and I heard about this restaurant from a few Taiwanese friends and they describe the food as "amazing", "so good" and "awesome". I'm afraid they've been overcome by their emotions for wanting food from their home country of Taiwan.

The restaurant is tucked in near the middle of First Markham Place and the best way to find it is to look to the right of the driveway that cuts through the complex. You can see the driveway in my "Storefront" photo posted with this review.

It was a Saturday evening, the restaurant was maybe one third or so full. We were seated without a weight and the menus came. This place is not for friends that want something other than beef and noodles, so don't say, "There's a lot of selection." as the menu is quite limited.

We ordered 2 different types of beef noodles and a plate of stinky tofu. Stinky Tofu is known to offend people and really stink, but it doesn't really offend me too much.

The food is okay, but it doesn't live up to what other people have written on other websites in my humble opinion. The meat has that stiff and "old" feel to it, as most Canadian meat has and those from Taiwan will know exactly what I'm talking about. If you grew up here in Canada, it'll taste just normal.

The tofu is ... simply fried tofu that smells. Can you make stinky tofu really good? I guess you could, but I've never had it.

If you're from Taiwan and homesick, this place works for your cravings. However, if you've got some cooking experience, you could probably make it better at home.

• Visited August 2011