“Why all the bad reviews?”
Review of Nak Won

Nak Won
Ranked #323 of 644 Restaurants in Markham
Cuisines: Korean
Toronto, ON, Canada
“Why all the bad reviews?”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I'm surprised by the poor reviews here (then again, there are only 3 other reviews!). I've been coming here for years, averaging about once every few months. Nak Won is my go-to place for korean food when I'm uptown and too lazy to drive to Yonge/Finch or downtown. Food has always been good, but I always order the same few dishes (bibimbap, mostly).

The freebie appetizers are good, and they give you lots. Lunches are usually $1 cheaper than their regular menu, which is already pretty affordable (I think the bibimbap is $7). When I dine solo, the freebie appetizers alone are enough to fill me!

I will admit that when they are busy, service can be slow, but it has never been rude for me. The restaurant is very large and capable of handling large groups, but I have only ever come here in small groups (1-4 people).

I will also admit that sometimes their broth can be too salty for me, but that's like most restaurants.

Parking can be an issue on weekends and busy times, since it is located at First Markham Place.

• Visited February 2013

“Salty food and bad service:(”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hate this place so much!!!!!! Please don't eat here, bad food and very very very bad service. Dispointed!

Kitchener, Canada
“Service was horrible. Food was ok.”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I usually have bibimbap when I go to Korean restaurants. It was not bad. They give you choices in terms of meat (chicken, beef or pork). The service, however, was horrible. We didn't even get a proper greeting by our server. She seemed impatient when we rang the bell (because we were ready to order). Then when we were asking for the bill (our second time ringing the bell) she seemed annoyed. I am a fairly tolerant person. I didn't understand where this rudeness was coming from. Perhaps a language barrier? Anyway, the food was average, but the experience was ruined by the service.

• Visited April 2011
Markham
“Good Affordable Korean Food, but not much Service”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Among a group of 6, 3 liked our food, and 3 absolutely hated it. The various appetizers are fabulous, I think (kimchi, potatoes in a sweet sauce, ...). But I have to admit that one of my buddy's main meal did not look very tasty (some rice with pork pieces, with no sauce whatsoever). Our waitress seemed to take care of the a huge section of the restaurant, and she did not seem happy about it at all. There was no greeting at all, and when we tried to find out which beers were available, she basically mumbled something that none of us could really understand. The bell at the table for service was only for decoration, as we pushed it several times and no help ever came to us as a result of having pushed it (and it was working, we could hear it).

• Visited April 2011