“Great Italian food, try the Veal”

Nonna's Original Italian Sandwiches
Cuisines: Italian
Halifax, Canada
“Great Italian food, try the Veal”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Okay, I have been here twice and loved it both times. The menu is true to Italian cuisine. My favourite is the veal sandwich... for $7.50 they give you a crazy portion of tomato sauce covered veal on a panini. I don't have a problem, generally, finding really good authentic Italian food in Toronto ( I do have a hard time in Halifax though) but this is a great spot in Markham area to enjoy.

The downside is the weird layout of the restaurant, the difficult to access strip mall, and a couple items are a litttle pricey. (If they fixed that 5 stars it would be).

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Shrekman1969

The shores of Lake Simcoe
“Good Italian food, hit and miss wait staff.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a friend, so we stopped in and gave it a try a number of years ago. We've returned numerous times since, sometimes with friends and sometimes just the two of us. The food is always very good- flavourful, quality ingredients, good portions and nicely prepared. I tend to 'wander' through a menu, so I've tried just about everything on their menu at least once, and I can honestly say that I've never had a bad dish. The specials have also been very good and always worth a try. The waitresses can be a bit hit and miss, though. Some of the staff are super friendly, and others have the personality of a dish rag, however the service is always fast and efficient. The prices are reasonable for the portion size and quality, and we find it good value. If you don't mind efficient, but maybe not friendly service, then you should give Nonna's a try. The food won't disappoint!

• Visited February 2013
Markham, Canada
“Nice little Italian place - always great food”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Despite what i saw in other reviews, we have never experienced bad/disrespectful service.
The family and I comes here probably around once a month and enjoy it every time.
The house salad is one of the best in Markham; fresh and lightly dressed with homemade croutons. I had the Penne al la Vodka last time I went, the sause was great, full of flavour and not too heavy.

This is a nice place to come to as a couple or family, they also accommodate large parities (which we have been to a few here) with reservation well in advance.

• Visited April 2013
Markham, Canada
“Very good food.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My Wife and I were here for dinner for the first time and found the food quality very good, The portions are large so don't over do the appetizers and still expect to finish your main course. We noticed since it was a Saturday that many regulars booked reservations. The bill for a party of two with a bottle of wine came to $90.00 and if it was food only would have been $40.00 to $60.00 depending on what you order but expect to be taking left overs home for the next day. No bread was included as was mentioned in a previous review. The restaurant is located in a corner plaza and not visible from the street but it is still very busy. Our server Rose was very attentive and personable and made the experience enjoyable. So get over the price and enjoy quality Italian food that is hard to find now days and walk out stuffed.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Wayne Derek
Toronto, Canada
“mediocre...food too expensive for what its worth..service needs to be re approached seriously by owner...awful !”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

ate there one evening....
service was slow..
waitress had no personality or people skills.
i asked about their blackened fish special
she answered me "did you not know it is spicey ?" I thought that was kind of unprofessional to say.
Most Italian restaurants serve bread with meals...they did not. No return to table to ask if drinks needed to be refilled..did not ask if we wanted dessert . Food was nothing too spectacular and very overpriced !
One of the worse services we have had..
don't think we will be returning.here again.
Still yet to find a good Italian restaurant locally.

2 Thank adventuregirl1111