“Don't use Hotwire for 3+ people”

Staybridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Markham
Ottawa, Canada
“Don't use Hotwire for 3+ people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Yup, that's right - don't use hotwire for 3+ people for this location. The difficult thing being that's the whole gimmick about hotwire - you don't know what hotel you're getting until the transaction is complete. Don't get me wrong - I'm not slamming this hotel - very courteous staff - clean rooms - perfect location. Long story short - using hotwire, I specified 4 people - I then got this particular location as my hotel but it indicated for me to contact the hotel about bed types. I recommend you do not email the hotel - they don't check their email or they don't reply - not really sure what's going on there. Anyways, I found out my room would be 1 queen bed with 1 sofabed. Very annoyed, I pleaded with the hotel that this was unacceptable and they blamed hotwire for the fashion they market their hotel. I was offered a room with 2 double beds for an additional $30 but I refused. I then contacted hotwire, ironically they blamed Staybridge and that it's up to the hotel to deem what's adequate accommodations for the number of specified guests. It became an argument of is a sofa bed adequate - in no shape or form do I believe so...I'd rather sleep on the carpet than a sofabed. As you know hotwire doesn't do refunds or transfers so I was a bit stuck.
I figured I'll go to the hotel in person and plead my case again face to face. The woman was very nice and understanding but stated she didn't have any control over hotwire's way of business - she did offer the upgrade of $10 for 2 double beds and I had no choice but to accept.
I very much enjoyed our room - very clean and spacious. I'm not a big fan of the bathroom sink being in the open but no big deal. It's awesome having the kitchen (with fridge) as we had a ton of groceries to keep cool. I would stay here again for sure but only for 2 people...in my opinion - 4 people need 2 queen beds.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newfoundland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were very disappointed by our recent stay at this hotel. We had previously stayed here and been very pleased, but we will never book here again.

First, the breakfast buffet was good but very overcrowded. The way it is laid out causes a lot of "traffic jams" and even makes it hard for staff to put out items.

The room itself was very spacious and great for a family as we could make meals. It was clean and equipped with anything we might need.

However, on the second evening we stayed there, we came back to the room and the water level in the toilet was very high. We figured something must be clogged and didn't want to flush it just in case so we asked for (and received promptly) a plunger. We used it and the water level retreated and we thought no more of it. Just before bed, we heard a lot of "gurgling" from the toilet and realized the water level had crept back up so we repeated the process and headed to bed.

Unfortunately, while we were sleeping, the toilet overflowed everywhere. (This was before the flooding in Toronto and not related). There was a good inch of water in the bathroom, in the hallway with the sink and the carpet on one side of the bed was soaked. We also had one bag that was at the end of the bed that got wet and ruined some of our souvenirs from our trip. We called and they were very prompt about cleaning it up however the carpet remained soaked for the entire rest of our time (1 night/2 days left). We were not given another room as they claimed the hotel was fully booked. We asked if they could try a wet vac or the like and nothing was ever done. I would even have been happy with a fan to help dry it out a bit! I ended up having to put towels down so we could walk to the bathroom and not get our feet wet, and they didn't last long before they would be soaked as well.

In the end, the customer service was sorely lacking when we needed it most, and we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear nektarine,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

First time at this particular Staybridge; spent one night. Primary reason for choosing this spot was location relative to the event I was attending but as a bonus I was able to use my Priority Club Points for a free night’s stay!

Did not spend a lot of time at the hotel but there were no disappointments. It was what I’ve become used to with Staybridge Suites; friendly staff, very clean and quiet. The elevator at this one seemed a bit slow but provided a good excuse to take the stairs. Carpet in the stairwells looked like it might be starting to wear but it was still very clean.

Didn’t take advantage of the dining room this time, but if it’s anything like the Guelph location, it’s a very nice added bonus. The Bridgemart mini-store is in the same area and has necessities including snacks, microwave friendly meals and toiletries.

Recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SwimBikeRun_RMc
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Very satisfied with my stay here. Clean and spacious rooms, fast internet, daily house-keeping, attached kitchenette, good location and friendly staff. Would definitely consider this hotel next time. Ideal for families with kids and extended stays.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Venkata B
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

A large contingent of family members decided to stay at this hotel for a wedding on the weekend of May 17-20,2013. The hotel is just north of the border of the city of Toronto-conveniently located to a number of expressways and 25 minutes due east of the airport. We have stayed here on a number of occasions and return when possible because of the great value and proximity to family. The hotel has undergone a wonderful major renovation and check-in/out was smooth and effortless. My husband and me shared an 'accessible' room with my 93 year old frail mother. The room was perfect for my mom with all the necessary bathroom amenities for a frail adult. My husband and I were quite comfortable on the sofa-bed in the living room. Other famly members had 2-bedroom/bathroom suites that were spacious and comfortable. The included generous daily buffet breakfast was held in the spacious front reception area. It was a treat-with items to suit every possible taste and kid-friendly (waffles, eggs, sausage, fruits, cereal, oatmeal etc). A nice touch is the 24 hour tea/coffee available in the lounge. The staff were courteous and polite to a fault, and my husband enjoyed his swim in the larger than usual, heated indoor pool. There is ample parking, and the quiet suburban neighborhood allows for a pleasant stroll to a lovely nearby park where we saw abundant bird life including a blue heron. Two blocks north is the busy suburban Highway 7 and a cornucopia of asian-themed shops and restaurants. And all this-including a daily newspaper-for around C$120/night including tax for our room (higher for the 2 bedroom suites). Can't be beat.

Room Tip: Can book directly from hotel's website for 'best available' rate.