“Horrendous, unprofessional, mismanaged, CONSTRUCTION!”

Staybridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Markham
Boston, MA
“Horrendous, unprofessional, mismanaged, CONSTRUCTION!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This hotel was booked MANY, MANY months ago for a large number of rooms for a family wedding. It seems that management assurances had been given that the planned construction and updating would be fully completed. No member of the staff ever contacted us or any other member of the entire visiting crew for this large wedding to suggest to try an alternate hotel as the construction is ongoing, loud and disruptive. The are banging away as early as 7:30am. We checked in late in the evening and were shown to a room, on the sweltering 95 degree day, with no functioning air conditioning. We settled in our hot kids and selves thinking it was just slow to cool down....We learned today that earlier this week three other families had already been moved from the same room only after they complained about the lack of AC. Repair, anyone!? Maintenance? Decency? The construction seems to be completed on the top floor, but why continue to house people on floors with ongoing construction or fully charge people without enhanced hospitality to compensate for multiple issues in the hospitality industry. No easy feat to move a group of 45 folks this short notice. They don't get any repeat customers here! Staybridge has let the construction crew shut down the elevators to hotel guests for long periods of the day.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Cambridge5
, Manager at Staybridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Staybridge Suites Toronto Markham. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.
Our hotel is very proud of it's renovation and our transformation in to "Great Hotels, Guests love" to better serve our guests. We are also committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities during renovation period. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
Please accept our sincere apologies. We hope you will continue to use Staybridge Suites as your lodging of choice, and look forward to welcoming you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from InterContinental Hotels Group Hotels.
Diana Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels in this area and at last I have found a hotel that meets the twin needs of a quality room and service with a reasonable room rate,

The room is well equipped, the bed is super comfortable and the little things are well catered for. For example the TV stations are a genuine wide spread of channels not just the normal 20 channels where most are variants of the news and weather. The hotel provides a TRUE and proper hot breakfast FREE and in addition each night there is FREE evening meal/snack item such as hamburger or hot dogs all with soda and coffee.

Add all this to an efficient staff and reasonable nightly rate and at last a hotel I like to return to in this area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank consultgp
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I was in Markham for a family bereavement so my whole family including myself, two adult siblings and parents flew into Toronto from Alberta with a few days notice. We wanted to be close to extended family who lived in Markham and wanted an economical stay as the flights were already horrendously expensive. Staybridge Suites was a very suitable choice for the following reasons a) the price was good 2) we got a one bedroom with two double beds and the living room area had a fold out couch so 5 of us can stay in one unit 3) complimentary breakfast with hot foods for 5 people for multiple days stay helped us cut down on food cost 4) kitchen with fridge, 2 stove elements, cookware, cutlery, dishwasher, microwave allowed us the ease and comfort of eating in suite or reheating food 5) free gym and wifi 6) reception on Tue, Wed and Thur with free appetizers and drinks from around 5:30pm. They even post a calendar on your fridge to let you know of the reception events going on as well as weekly wifi password changes.

Now the downside...the hotel is located in a business district in Markham (around CGI building area ) and can be hard to find. I personally took public transit from downtown Toronto and took 2 VIVA transit buses and walked 7 minutes to get here on $6.50 over two hours during rush hour. I called the hotel in advance for transit directions and they were extremely helpfu. The rest of my family came in and took cabs ranging from $50-70 from the airport and the taxi driver had to circle for some time to find the place. The place can easily blend into the nearby residential buildings and be mistaken for a condo building. Also, the furnishings and decor is a bit 90s dated but it did not seem to bother us at all. We did notice the countertop near the stove element had burn marks so don't expect a gourmet kitchen. Within 7-8 minute walking distance is a lot of strip malls with various ethnic restaurants and eateries.

2 Thank JY_Globetrotter
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We find ourselves in Toronto regularly for one reason or another. Although not in the center of town it is a reasonable base with kids. Most of our activities are in the North end of the city so we manage to get around ok. The rooms are always spotless and staff willing to help in anyway. The kids love helping themselves to breakfast ...and of course the indoor pool is always a hit.

1 Thank HikerMom58
Chatham
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our stay didn't start off so great, tried to check in at 2pm because we had other things that we needed to do and didn't want our room given away. We were told that our room wouldn't be ready til after 3pm. We didn't stick around. Checked in after dinner no problem. Walking down the stairs I was shocked at how many spiders were all over the place. Smeared on the walls, crawling all over the place.
Luckily the room was amazing we were able to put the kids to bed in the bedroom and sit and watch TV in the living room. Breakfast was so delicious I wanted to stay and eat all day :)
We would stay there anyday as long as the spider problem got fixed.
Some what difficult to get to we mapquested it and it told us to turn into what we thought was a parkade, turns out it goes all the way through to the road the hotel in on

1 Thank mama_2_a_b
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We had 3 nights here, staying as a family of 4 with 2 older teen kids.
The 2 bedroom suite was awesome, the kids even had their own double bed each!
Staff were always polite and helpful.
The breakfast room was a bit compact but the food was always excellent.
The location was fine, although Markham itself is more business than family-friendly.
Access to major routes was easy so it was fine for us (visiting family in Scarborough).
Decor is a wee bit dated (very brown!) but everything works and it's very clean.
Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: There was some construction happening next door so ask not to be in a room facing there.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Diana R, Manager at Staybridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review! We are pleased to announce that we will be starting our full hotel renovations starting May 22nd! We look forward to welcoming you back to our newly renovated hotel soon.
Regards,
Ottawa
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Check in was quick, we arrived around 10 pm after a five hour drive. We were happy with the efficient front desk, until we arrived in our room. Greeting me was a letter addressed to another guest welcoming me to the hotel..dated three days before. After the long drive, a trip to bathroom was in order, yet the flourescent light wouldn't turn on. As the final straw, the toilet backed up after I flushed it, (number 1, not a lot of tp). I called down to the desk, and was told that because maintaince was gone for the evening, she would bring me up a plunger. I was expected to plunge my own toliet? I think a change of room might have been a better idea. I am not overly particular, but expect decent service. Three stikes in the first five minutes of my arrival are tough to overcome. The next morning, as I sat on the couch, I noticed a foul-sour smell. I avoided the couch for the rest of my visit. There was a card in the room urging guests to notify the desk of any concerns and they promised to "make it right. I tried, didn't happen. Even when I mentioned it again at check out, there was a half heated, "oh, we're sorry" but that was all. I told them I won't return, and that I would post my experience here..I kept my promise.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Highvoltagewife
Diana R, Manager at Staybridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
We do appreciate you taking the time to review and post your comments, however I am disappointed with the many service issues you have stated. I do apologize for your dissatisfaction and have spoken with each department to better serve our guests. Thank you again for your honesty, and I do hope you will reconsider a visit to our property in the future.
Regards,