“Fantastic Austrian / German food and fantastic service”
Review of Old Country Inn

Old Country Inn
Ranked #21 of 662 Restaurants in Markham
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Do yourself a favor and go the Old Country Inn- Unionville. "The hills are alive", indeed! Awesome food, awesome service, awesome ambiance- even sit outside for a very relaxing view and count the Porsche Carreras go by (4). The entire menu looks great. Started with Goulash soup- great choice. Got the HousePlatter for 1 (minimum 2 on menu) -schnitzel, pork loin ('tender' doesn't even do it justice), wurst, spicy home-fried potatoes and I substituted red cabbage for sauerkraut, . Just perfect. Got apple strudel for afters. Very tasty-- apples were a bit too crunchy- should have been cooked more. (ask for it, you'll get it!!) Elena was my server and she defines pleasant professionalism. Handled my substitutions easily--- "of course that's fine", not "well, ok i'll see what I can do" that I usually get elsewhere. Here the customer is right-- (what a concept! somebody should write a book-) Wish she could serve me at every restaurant I go to forever. I left 25% tip and felt cheap for it when I got home. I should have left 50%. (my father was a victim of the Great Depression and he would have yelled at me for the 25%. Ironically, he was German). Hacker-Pschorr on tap. . Free parking lot in back. I'm from US but will come back here whenever I can. Only recommendation is- posted menu descriptions don't do justice to the food -they should put pictures on it since several couples looked at it and left while I was eating. Guess they didn't know Austrian food or couldn't visualize it. They don't know what they missed. Hope this makes them want to find out.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

A main street Unionville fixture for at least 3 decades, the Old Country Inn has decided it doesn't need to redo the wallpaper, update the carpets, lighten up the woodwork....but don't let the dreariness of the space put you off. Our party of 14 -- consisting of some very sophisticated diners as well as some happy with a bun or noodles with butter -- raved about the quality of the food..from the sliced rye bread to the tiroler schnitzel to the double smoked sausage to the perfectly dressed house salad to "the best sole ever." Homefries could use some crisping and the colour on the plate could be improved with a variety of vegetables as opposed to big florets of broccoli, but overall, a very pleasant, satisfying dining experience. Service is direct and friendly if not refined, and the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Beware of George!
I was a happy customer of Old Country Inn for more than 10 years by now. Always liked the atmosphere there, the helpful and friendly staff and enjoyed the menu (partially for it reminded me about my two years spend in Austria long time ago). For these reasons, I held many departmental dinners and lunches in this restaurant, recommended it to my friends and, after moving into my own business, invited my clients and prospects to here as well.
On Saturday May 4, 2012, my wife and I were passing by after a long work day in late afternoon and decided to stop by for an early supper (it was about 5 pm). We were greeted and seated by a nice female waiter, placed our drink order and started to go through the menu when a male person named George appeared and without greeting announced that the table was reserved in about an hour of time and that we needed to move to another table where we might get up to two hours before someone else will come. (There were no ‘Reserved’ signs on any table around and restaurant was just about 75% full). The waiter who seated us seemed to be a bit troubled explaining she did not know about the reservations.(?) After a brief discussion, we decided to leave. At the door, my wife asked George what happened and why he seems to be prejudging us – his answer was: “there is coffee shop next door, you can go there”.
Given this experience, we have informed our friends and clients about this incident to leave it up to them whether or not they want to meet George and deal with his way of doing business.

4  Thank Charles N
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We loved our German meal at this restaurant, and will certainly return. The large back room (which they call a Winter Garden) is discreetly lit at night, but looks as if it would be very bright in daytime -- big windows and skylights too. Service was good rather than inspired, but the manager (or owner?) was attentive and moved through regularly, stopping to chat with guests, helping with delivering plates to tables and clearing. My partner's sauerbraten was excellent, authentic, and marred a little by the unexpected sweetness of the red cabbage. I had a delicious Tiroler schnitzel, very thin and tender, with cheese and mushrooms sandwiched between the two layers. Very plainly this was cooked to order -- it arrived fresh and hot, with the coating still crisp from frying. Also a generous portion of potatoes and broccoli with a small serving of cheese sauce, not overwhelming the flavour. I also had a generous sized salad to begin. There are over 30 main courses on the menu, plus numerous appetizer, soup, and salad choices. After reading other reviews I really wish I hadn't become diabetic -- the strudel sounds incredible. There are non-German menu choices as well, but for any lover of good German/Austrian cooking, this place is a treasure!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have been eating at the Old Country Inn for many years. Although the original owners may well have been catering to a clientele of Austrian / Hungarian/ German descent , the present owner has enlarged the menu to please a larger crowd , and we believe, successfully so. My husband is Canadian while I am Austrian, and sometimes we bring friends with us. Our struggle is usually in deciding which one of the delicious choices to order. On Fridays its easy picking for my husband, if the special is a healthy helping of prime roast beef, with home made apple strudel as desert ( its the real thing, I know so!).
I can also highly recommend the fall specials, usually October- November. Venison, cornish hen etc.
Once we reserved one of the smaller more intimate rooms for my mother's 90's birthday celebration. The owner and his staff went out of their way to make this all in all a very lovely experience in terms of pre-planning, choices of food, and service.
We enjoy the casual outdoor seating in the warmer months. When its cold, we usually call ahead to reserve a table in the small traditional front room. The large addition at the back is more modern, it is light and airy in summer but can get a little drafty in winter time.
The place can get quite busy on week- ends, so we like to reserve for an early evening dinner, never had a problem this way.

1  Thank Doris W