“Disappointing and disorganized”

Grand Palace
Ranked #122 of 327 Restaurants in Coquitlam
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I don't know if we experienced a "bad night" but my family's recent Father's Day dinner at Grand Palace was quite poor. True, holidays and special event nights are busy, but the restaurant showed poor preparation and planning by not stocking up on ingredients. They had none of the following items, claiming they were sold out: prawns, scallops, geoduck. Really? It was 6:30 pm. On an evening where families would be going out for dinner to treat dear old dad? We half heartedly ordered our second string choice of dishes, including an appetizer. The first dish they brought out was an entree, not our appetizer. When we asked why we didn't get our appetizer first, there was a great deal of confusion and lack of clarity on whose dish belonged to whom. Service staff seemed indifferent and not very concerned about getting our order correct. As for the dishes themselves, they were OK. But the overall experience left us pretty disappointed. We were long term patrons of the Kirin restaurant that used to occupy this space and were sorry to see it close. In sum, this Grand Palace is not so grand.

1  Thank Tracy_CY_T

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Dim Sum Lunch
5 out of 5
I found this place of eatery very accommodating,The service was very good to say the least, was walked to my table and Dim Sum menu placed on the tabled along with the hot pot of Jasmine Tea.
The atmosphere was very nice.The food selection was a very good choice for a lunch menu and not to be forgotten all hot food was hot not warm or tepid.
The service was spontaneous there was no waiting when looking for another plate of this delicious Dim Sum hot food or deserts.
I had inquired about the dinner menu and was informed that it was an experience that one would have to be in attendance to fully appreciate .
They have there own Dim Sum chef which to me explains as to why this restaurant is one that should be selected to enjoy a lunch as well dinner as I have .
5 stars shining in full illumination.
I will be back.
Paul
I found this restaurant very very clean

Reviewed January 28, 2012

This used to be Kirin's Coquitlam location and sometime in late 2011 the company left. A Calgary company has taken it over. The food is as good or better than Kirin. Gone are the large menus, at least for Dim Sum, replaced by the ubiquitous paper list with items you check off. The food arrived hot and fresh and well prepared. Our party of five arrived at 1130 at the start of the brunch rush but the service was excellent...in fact better than the frequently aloof and slow staff that worked under Kirin's management. We over ordered and had food to go for 90 bucks for five people. The table was jammed with food and everyone loved it. We visited just a couple weeks after they opened in December 2011 so I hope they keep it up. We'll be back. It is better than just about every dim sum place I've been to in Vancouver. Yet another reason why we like living in the burbs.

3  Thank Gone911