“Not bad night's stay, closest hotel to Red Robinson Theatre.”

Best Western Chelsea Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Coquitlam
“Not bad night's stay, closest hotel to Red Robinson Theatre.”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Overall this hotel isn't bad. I'd say its ok. I've stayed at many best westerns and I would have to say that this one is slightly under the quality of others but generally speaking not bad. It is slightly more run down than others that I've stayed at before. My husband and I stayed here March 15th for one night as we were attending a concert that night at the Red Robinson Theatre. This hotel was definitely the closest hotel to that location. The staff were very friendly at this hotel. The first room we were given, upon entry had a very strong odour of nail polish remover; however, we contacted the front desk and were promptly able to switch rooms which was good. The rooms definitely smell like they have been smoked in at one point or another but were clean. The tvs in the rooms are "tubals" but had a decent selection of channels. Bedding was clean and comfortable and linens fresh. The continental breakfast was excellent, they had pre-wrapped muffins and Danishes if you were on the run, they also had toast, cereal, waffle maker + mix, hard boiled eggs, toast, coffee, tea and many juices which was superb for best western. We noticed there was a nightclub across the street and were a but worried but it seemed closed so there was no noise keeping us up late at night after all.

• Stayed March 2013
Masood O, General Manager at Best Western Chelsea Inn, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your views about our hotel. We are continually changing for the better and with your opinions(good or bad) we can meet our guests needs.Our TV's have now been replaced by LCD Tv's as of last week. The Nightclub across the street is no longer open so we dont worry about any activity from it.
Very happy that our staff made you feel welcome, and happy that you enjjoyed our breakfast. Please come again when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had a pleasant check in experience, the lobby is very bright and inviting. Our room was
Very clean and well equipped, I loved the thick fluffy towels in the bathroom and our bed
Was comfortable and warm. The complimentary breakfast was in a very pleasant and
Spacious room with lots of tables, the food was pretty basic, but delicious, I was impressed
By the quality of the sausage and especially the bread, no cheap white bread here! There
Was very plentiful amounts of baked goods, sausage, hard boiled eggs, the coffee was very
Good, forgot to mention that the coffee in the room was good quality as well. We were checking
Out the next morning and met the Manager and another friendly staff member. We asked for
The location of the bus stop and the manager asked where we were going, when we said the Sky train station, he immediately said he would drive us! We were very surprised and grateful as it was raining like it can only rain in Vancouver, he brushed aside our thanks saying he was happy to help us. What a great ending to a very nice, short stay. We would definitely return!!

Room Tip: I do not know that there would be any "bad" rooms, it's great value, close to the Red...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margaret_mcdo54
So glad you had a warm, wonderful experience at our property. We always want our guests to feel like they just arrived home, and the fact that I drove you in the rain was just a small jesture to let you know that we go above and beyond what our customers needs may be. Please come again soon.
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Found this place to be bright, clean and the staff were very friendly! I loved that I was greeted with a smile and a hello every time I entered the lobby (made you feel safe that someone was always paying attention)! The front staff were very helpful in directing two tourists to fun and exciting locations! I really liked that there was a lot of stores around and it was only a 10 minute walk to the skytrain! Very convenient, so we got to leave our vehicle safe in the parking lot. I thought it was very nice that they switched our room to one in the back because there was construction being done on the front road and it was very loud and busy.I really enjoyed the gym that they have on site as well! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy! I would recommend this to anyone that wants a clean, safe and pleasant place to stay!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa B
Hello Lisa B,
Thank you for your review on your most pleasant stay at the Best Western PLUS Chelsea Inn. We are thrilled that your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you took the time to put such a wonderful review. Please think of us on your next trip to the Vancouver area.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a "voucher deal" for a very reasonable price, will take advantage of it again if it is available.
The beds/sheets were very comfortable/cozy, basic room but very clean and well equipped with a microwave and fridge, Pantene products in the bathroom, liked that!
Had no heat though, couldn't get it to work but made for a great "snuggle under" night and a good sleep!
Friendly staff, really enjoyed the hot breakfast, excellent value!

Room Tip: I asked for a "quiet" room as it is near a freeway exit/busy road, it was better than home...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travellingteri_12
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. With comments like yours it makes us proud to be in the business of accommodation. I am so very pleased that your stay was a positive one and we so welcome you back anytime
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just checked in and had to add something here, especially after reading the previous scathing review. When I came up to my room I told my hubby that was the most fun I've ever had with check in. The lobby was nice and clean and entering our room we were pleasantly surprised. Carpet looked new and very clean, room smelled great, no whiff of smoke ... room heated up fast once we turned on the heat. Good for them for preserving energy by keeping the hallways cooler ... Eco responsible. Oh, and dealing with the staff? Clifford, the front-desk is a sweetie, trying his best to make everything as easy and comfortable. Brought up glasses and cork screw within 5 minutes. And we did talk to the manager too - he is a blast. Even though we were using a Dealfind voucher he was great and gave us a complimentary upgrade as the hotel wasn't busy - great service all around! i will add to my review once we've experienced the bed , fitness room, etc.

The following is my updated comments:

Part of our package was a $10 credit at the local Woody's Pub - it is a few blocks to walk, and we had a great time there - will write separate review for it (definitely a 'happening place' later in the evening; for older folks and/or those that wants a quiet dinner, go early or go somewhere else). Walk back to the hotel at around midnight wasn't an issue as roads were well-light with lots of traffic, so no safety issue.
We slept well, beds are comfy and sheets clean. Not king bed, but queen was adequate - really enjoyed the pillows! Also had spare pillow and blanket in the drawer. We did hear road noise, but turned our iPhone's white noise on and we were fine. Room had small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Breakfast from 6:30-9:30am - most people enjoyed the fresh waffles, but we like healthier options in the morning - so opted for the whole grain toast (good bread - makes lovely toast) and juice with coffee - there were also boiled eggs and lots of pastries. Lady at the breakfast room was super friendly - talked to everyone, made sure they had what they needed, a pleasant experience. Fitness room - we didn't use but did take a look - consisted of a Treadmill, Stationary bike, Ab machine, Elliptical and one multi-function weight machine. Also a dry sauna. Swimming pool outside, small but will be fine if traveling with kids - it is open seasonal, so closed for the winter.

All and all this hotel offered great value for what we paid - it obviously isn't a 5 star hotel, although the service we've received there equals some of the 5-star hotels we've stayed at. We had absolutely NO issues here. I recommend a stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank buzz101
Mosmani, General Manager at Best Western Chelsea Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you so very much for your wonderful feedback, and are happy that the staff were so helpful and pleasant. We are pleased that your stay was a great one and thank you for all the positive comments about the hotel and all other areas.
Comox
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I reserved a room at this hotel, but after being shown multiple dirty rooms, I moved to a different hotel. The halls appeared not to have been vacuumed in some time, and had noticeable debris along the entire length. Of the rooms I was shown, there were stained carpets, molded grout in the bathrooms, and a distinct smell of smoke. One of the rooms was completely unmade, no sheets on the beds, comforters on the floor, drawers open, etc.

The check in clerk had prematurely charged my Best Western gift card, and I was informed that it couldn't be refunded, except by the manager. Over the phone, the manager was very rude. I was told that he was unavailable for four days, until after my planned departure from the city. He kept interrupting me while I tried to speak, and telling me I should "put myself in his shoes" because he couldn't come to work on the weekend. His rudest statement was when he told me that "as a favour" he would not charge me for my stay even though I was not providing enough notice of cancelling my booking. This was completely ridiculous, as I was not staying because the check-in clerk could not provide a clean room.

I was lucky enough to find a room late that night at the nearby (a few kilometers away) Best Western Plus Coquitlam Inn Convention Center, where the staff treated me wonderfully and the hotel is spotlessly clean. They were a great help to me, as it took hours and countless phone calls before the manager of the Chelsea Inn finally (at the extreme last minute before my departure) to return the money that they had wrongly charged me.

Every interaction with the Chelsea Inn was unpleasant, and there is no way that this location should be a part of the Best Western brand, never mind the "plus" brand. It is very disappointing that the hotel is allowed to represent what is otherwise a normally dependable chain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank efcarter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coquitlam
Best Western Plus Coquitlam Inn Convention Centre
#1 of 3 in New Westminster
Atrium Inn Vancouver
Atrium Inn Vancouver
#57 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Best Western Chelsea Inn? Share your experiences!