“Brunch only ordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tomahawk Barbeque

Tomahawk Barbeque
Cuisines: American, Diner, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Brunch only ordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We couldn't believe the wait to get in on a Sunday for brunch. Not worth the wait. Limited menu, i couldn't find pancakes at all. No interesting combinations or pastries. Just bread. The food did not look that good or taste that good. Prices were no deal. My friend apologized for the big buildup. Disappointing. We had eggs. Only ordinary. The man with the ponytail who seemed to be the manager was rude. There were empty tables with a long line of people waiting. I did find the native artifacts and drawing on the placemats interesting. My one cup of coffee (no refills offered) was good, but not spectacular. They obviously are not interested in working to get our business. We won't go back.

West Vancouver, Canada
“Doesn't live up to the reputation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Tomahawk Barbeque has a huge reputation as THE place to go for brunch. Sorry...it doesn't come close to deserving that reputation. The food was fine.. good diner food, but not notably special. The real problem was the service! After ordering, we waited almost an hour for our breakfast .... And that was after waiting to get in! The servers seemed to hardly care, which told us that the situation was probably pretty normal. There are many other options out there for this kind of thing.... try them first.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Michael T
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal. We had 2 of the 9 different beef burger options, and got a fries and onion rings and shared. It was plenty of food, but we had to split a piece of lemon meringue pie too...so delicious. Their house blend coffee was really awesome too. We will be back again.

Calgary, Canada
“We will NOT be back!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I went to the Tomahawk Barbeque on Easter weekend 2013 because a friend had bragged on the large New York Steak Dinner on a board served with all the garnishes. The price for that was $22. I ordered that and my wife ordered the barbecued chicken dinner which was in the vicinity of $15.
I ordered my steak medium rare and it came out medium well....looking like it had been re-heated and tough as shoe leather (could hardly cut it with a steak knife). We had a very pleasant waitress but she didn't come by to ask if the meal was fine untill we were 1/2 way through our meal. By then, I was so hungry I ate almost 1/3 of it. She asked if I wanted to re-order another steak and I politely said no, because I had eaten 1/3 of it. The garnishings were good, but it was the WORST steak I've ever had in years. We will NOT be back. My wife said the barbecue chicken was soggy too. For the price of that steak, I would suggest going to a REAL steakhouse and getting a medium rare which you can almost cut with a fork.

The waitress saw the steak and could see how over-cooked it was, I think that the cook or manager should have come over at that time and helped out with the problem. We paid for our bill and still tipped the waitress as the food preparation was NOT her doing.

“Disappointed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

...heard it was some awesome place with great food but honestly...average all around. I had fruit chunks on oatmeal (menu said granola) with a glob of yogurt and honey drizzled on it (way too sweet). Friend had omelettes with big fat toast, bill for two was $32 incl coffee.