“Hospitality, Privacy and Convenience”

Ocean Breeze Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 20 North Vancouver B&B and Inns
Edmonton
“Hospitality, Privacy and Convenience”
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I often travel on business. When I stay in Vancouver, I always book my stay with Margaret at the Ocean Breeze Executive Bed and Breakfast. My business takes me to a number of locations within Vancouver and I find the convenience of the location to be the best for me.

It is located so close to Downtown Vancouver, where I can walk and catch a sea ferry across to the downtown core, which saves me time and money for cabs.

The breakfast in the morning are always fantastic and are a great start to anyone's day as well as the company in the evening makes you have that at home feeling. The free wireless internet in my room helps me to continue to work even when I'm in the B&B.

I highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone travelling for business or even holiday's. I have taken a few days a couple of time to sneak up to the local mountains to get my fill of skiing and snowboarding.

Love this place and will continue to stay there!

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Carriemh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed at the Ocean Breeze Executive Bed & Breakfast for a month over Christmas and New Year and had a wonderful time.
As soon as we arrived we were greeted with the warmest of welcomes and shown to our lovely suite. The suite was beautifully decorated, clean and very cosy with everything we could possibly need.
The Ocean Breeze is located a short walk to many shops and restaurants, a couple of great, friendly pubs and only a short drive to central Vancouver. The drive to Cypress Mountain is about 30 mins for skiing, snowboarding and snowtubing and Stanly Park with all it’s attractions is less than 15 minutes away.
What really made this such an amazing stay though were our hosts. We were given the exact amount of privacy we needed but also invited to spend time with Margaret and Norbert where they opened their home and a few bottles of wine for us.
If we return to Vancouver, and I’m sure we will, there will be no hesitation in coming back in to the Ocean Breeze. We cannot recommend this place enough—a thoroughly enjoyable 5 star stay.

• Liked — Location and great hosts
  • Stayed December 2008
BC
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I am regretting that I didn't read these reviews before booking my stay at Ocean Breeze B&B.

Without going into all the details, I can say at a summary level:

- We also were not given the room we booked, although Margaret knew well in advance that the room we had booked would not be available.

We had booked a room with a balcony overlooking the city, but were told that was not available and a room looking over the back garden was much nicer(???)

The view was the only reason I booked the place

- I am a complete dog lover. However I was not warned there were dogs around the place, which bark alot and which I also saw sleeping on a pile of bedding which was waiting to be taken upstairs

- Like others who have commented, I did not find Margaret's manner friendly or overly accomodating. When I informed her we wanted to move out one night early, due to not having the view we booked, I was told it was because we were tired from travelling that we were "being unreasonable". I had only driven down from Whistler the night before, which kind of staggered me.

- Unlike in any other B&B I have stayed at, breakfast is available at 8:30am only. No discussion. Most places offer a window of time within which you can choose to have your breakfast. Breakfast was also not the great feast which was advertised on the website.

- There was no off street parking available, contrary to what I was told

There are a few other points, but I won't continue on this as I want to put the stay behind me. I do generally love B&B's and there are definitely some gems out there, but this is definitely not one of them, in my opinion.

Good luck making your choices about where to stay on your travels.

• Disliked — The owner's attitude
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Louise_BC
calgary
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Use extreme caution!

We never actually stayed in this B&B as we walked out when we tried to check in. We had booked to stay in the Taramisu suite- doing our due dilligence on the internet and contacting the owner personally , we tried to ensure the accomodations met our needs.

We arrived with high hopes of a pleasant stay. Things started to go wrong quickly. Driving though the neighbourhood approaching the B&B things went from pleasant to questionable, to borderline seedy. We kept our hopes up as we proceeded to the specific address.

When we enter the home Margaret greets us and says that she's moved us to the Romantic room- despite specificaly wanting and booking and being confirmed a 1 bedroom with a kitchen because we were travelling with a toddler. She had given our room to someone else and tried to sell us that having a toddler in the "romantic" room would, with it's big bed would be pleasant for us. She offered to let us use her fridge for bottles...

When we questioned her about the change it turned out that she had known about 10 days in advance that there might be a problem, and knew for sure the previous morning. However, she failed to contact us, discuss the room change... the room available did not serve or meet our needs, so we walked out and had to find new accomodations.

She offered us tea, or to call the local hotels to help us find a room- but never really acknowledged that for us to find a 1 bedroom hotel room on very short notice resulted in us paying a very high premium. Essentially, the accomodation that we found, we could have had for 60 dollars a night cheaper if we had booked on-line while doing our search a few weeks earlier.

• Liked — nothing, we didn
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank perriap
San Francisco
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We booked a room here for three days before taking a cruise to Alaska and specified that we are in our 60's and were taking a cruise, so wanted to be close to the embarkation terminal. Margaret e-mailed us, leading us to believe that Ocean Breeze was indeed 10 minutes from downtown Vancouver. It's not. It is in a different city, North Vancouver, across the bay from Vancouver and at least 40 minutes away, including a long walk which took us 20 - 25 minutes, and a 10 minute Sea Bus ride. She also has two dogs on the premises, and I am allergic to dogs. The location is in a rather run down neighborhood, very close to a factory and there are two long, steep flights of stairs leading up to the B and B. We had heavy suitcases, which were left on a landing until her husband came home, as we weren't able to carry them. We left after one night, very disappointed that she hadn't been more honest. It was a stressful beginning to our trip. The room was crowded, and not that comfortable. We ended up at the Days Inn not far from Canada House, and we loved it. The lesson here was that one should never book a B & B based on a website. They are sometimes deceptive and dishonest.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — argumentative, dishonest attitude of the owner - location of B & B
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank KaseySanFrancisco
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I enjoyed my stay here. There was some confusion about which room I'd reserved, but I ended up in a bigger one for the same price. The whole place was very clean, comfortable and attractive. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful, and I enjoyed chatting with the other guests, who were from a variety of countries. I would stay here again.

• Liked — attractive, comfortable, good location
  • Disliked — not getting the room I'd reserved
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank MsMaryMc
SF Bay Area
Reviewed June 20, 2007

Margaret is a very motherly woman who wants her guests to feel at home. Her breakfasts are stellar and she's been known to hold impromptu dinner parties with her guests or share an apertif and a chat late at night. The beds are incredibly comfortable and the bathrooms are done in Italian tile and some have deep soaking tubs. A few of the rooms have rather spectacular views of downtown Vancouver.

Yes, you'll need to call for a taxi or rent a car, but Margaret has on occasion driven someone to where they needed to go. She will also go out of her way to accomodate your schedule if you let her know ahead of time. I've recommended this place to a lot of folks and they all rave about it.

• Liked — How much I felt at home.
  • Disliked — I liked everything about it.
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jillpross
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
#1 of 10 in North Vancouver
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,212 reviews
Lonsdale Quay Hotel
#4 of 10 in North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
Fairmont Waterfront
Fairmont Waterfront
#11 of 89 in Vancouver
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,126 reviews

Been to Ocean Breeze Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!