“Wonderful view, not so good food”

Pier 7 restaurant + bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Pier 7 restaurant + bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: VICTORY SHIP WAY
Transit: Lonsdale Quay Transit Loop & Sea Bus Terminal are steps away from PIER 7 restaurant + bar.
Description: Pier 7 restaurant + bar is open 7 days a week for lunch, brunch, and dinner. We feature ocean view as well as sweeping views of the Vancouver city scape, Coal harbor and Stanley Park. Year round heated patio dining on two levels. Our culinary team has created a menu that is seafood focused, with an emphasis on boat-to-table choices, and seasonal offerings of meat and poultry. For the wine connoisseur there are over 100 bottles on the award winning list. The lively bar area is a favorite stop after work for professionals coming home on the nearby SeaBus and the burgeoning ship building industry adjacent to the pier. Happy hour is seven days a week from 3:00-6:00pm with food and drink specials. We look forward to welcoming you to the North shore's newest award winning neighborhood restaurant and lounge built in the most historically significant area of North Vancouver.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The restaurant has a lot of potential but needs proper management and a better menu. Service was polite but took 45 minutes between the appetizer and the main dish. It was not the server's problem but the kitchen. If we go back it will be for a glass of wine and maybe an appetizer.
I had the tuna tartar which to my surprise came over a bed of sushi rice (not what I was expecting). I then had the quinoa salad which basically was an arugula salad with some quinoa. My husband had the calamari which was average and then clam chowder which came in a coffee cup, not kidding.

3  Thank Anna T

Reviewed June 11, 2013

This restaurant offers a fantastic view across the harbour towards the towers of downtown Vancouver. I doubt that you will find a better location on either side of the Burrard Inlet. This restaurant is literally over the water. We loved sitting on the patio in the sunshine and watching the non stop harbour activity: cargo ships, cruise ships, float planes, tug boats, the sea bus, etc. The sunset and city lights from the patio were spectacular!

Perhaps because they figure that the view will attract customers no matter what, Pier 7 is below average as a restaurant. On the bright side, our server was very good. He answered our questions about the menu and was professional throughout the evening. We were also happy with the reservation process. We were called on the day of our visit to confirm our reservation.

Here is the problem: most of the food (on a very limited menu) is mediocre and very overpriced. We had a cheese plate (actually from the desert menu) that was pretty skimpy for $16. We tried the crab cakes (which should have been called crab bites): 3 tiny morsels with a non descript sauce for $15.00. My wife had a 6oz strip steak for $26.00. I gave up after the appetizers and simply ordered a burger for $15.00. My burger was fresh and tender but had a funky taste - I am not sure what spice they used but it was not tasty.

I would go back to Pier 7 again - but for the view not the food. I would skip any pretense of fine dining and stick to the moderatedly priced pub items on the menu (burgers, sandwiches, nachos, etc). I would also skip the $13.00 glass of wine and stick to a $6.25 bottle of domestic beer. Or, I will save a bundle and simply have take out at the Lonsdale Quay next door. Same great view, better food selection, much better value.

2  Thank NorthVanDMo
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Dining outside, even though a bit cool, was wonderful. They had glass walls to stop the breeze and with the sun out the 58 degrees seemed hot. I had the halibut, tis the season, prepared most unusual, and it was one of the best I have ever tasted.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've been to Pier 7 a few times. It had been awhile since the last visit so we were hopeful that things may have improved since then. Nope.

New Menu, just released a few weeks ago.

My beet salad was an incredible deal if you really like lots of beets. They didn't scrimp! But the flavours were pretty average. I feel confident I could make something better as a home chef.
My main was the gnocchi. Which is hilarious because the menu says it's a basil pesto. Only I got wild mushrooms. Not a biggy for me as I really like mushrooms but if you didn't, you'd be sorely disappointed. The gnocchi was again, average. It seemed like it had been reheated more than once (a little tough on the outside).
Dessert-got the trio of sorbets and ice creams. The textures were great. The chemicals added to enhance the flavours, not so much.

Service-our server was very enthusiastic. Definitely a newby, but I don't mind as long as someone is trying hard to do well at their job. The thing that drove us bananas though was was seemed to be a Manager-in-Training or Floor Manager who kept coming by to check on us. Which I get once, or if we had had some problems. But nope, she kept coming by, with zero opening lines or friendly conversation. It got so I was trying to avoid talking to her. I appreciate they're trying to address service issues, but this was a swing too far.

2  Thank truenic
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We chose Pier 7 for two reasons: food quality and atmosphere. We made reservations a week in advance as we were entertaining our son who lives on his own and and his friend with whom we wanted to get to know better. The reservation paid off as our window seats were spectacular with a view of the Vancouver and North Shore harbor. It didn't hurt that the early evening had a gorgeous sunset as the lighting was most complimentary. Briefly, after reading the previously written three reviews, I thought I could save you from reading a long dialogue about the restaurant by reflecting upon the previous reviews. The atmosphere and decor throughout the restaurant is tastefully done in a contemporary style. You can choose to sit outside on a patio, sports bar area or dining area where we did. The food was prepared and presented well but found the service lacking in attentiveness and attention to detail - perhaps the server was new. Otherwise, I would recommend the North Vancouver Pier 7 restaurant to those who want to add a finer dinning experience to their occasion by taking advantage of the natural harbor beauty. This restaurant is a step above being causal and at the same time emphasizes a a flare of importance to your guests that facilitates easy conversation.