“Great Italian Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Great Italian Food”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Just coming back from Venice and Rome my family decided to take me out for dinner at La Cucina. Great food and great service. Enough said.

1 Thank Michael C

Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic food and ambience”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have been coming to La Cucina for 25 years. It is undeniably one of the best restaurants not only on the North Shore but also compared to other parts of the world. Tonight, we have just come from 3 and half hour dinner. Service was impeccable and the food outstanding, even when we requested items off the menu which was readily accommodated.
The owner, Tiberio greets all his guests and we are received into a warm and welcoming restaurant. We had recently been away for two months and could hardly wait to return to La Cucina for our "pasts fix...
I have read a recent Valentineès review and could not disagree more strongly . You are never rushed in this restaurant, not even close.. That is why we return time and time again. .
We will continue to return every week to this little hidden gem on the North Shore.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Maureen S
Vancouver, Canada
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've written a restaurant review while on vacation but thought it was time to give a shout out to a local favourite that rarely advertises and deserves attention. We were introduced to La Cucina about 15 years ago when we moved to the North Shore. Last night we returned with the friends who first took us. From that day to this my husband has rarely ordered anything other than the perfectly cooked peppered chicken breast which is not even on the menu. He has never been disappointed. The favoured appetizer to the exclusion of all others is the beef carpaccio. He orders it whenever we eat in an Italian restaurant but none compares to that served at La Cucina. On the pasta side my order of Spaghetti Carbonara was lightly rich and flavourful. Lots of pepper and and the tasty italian bacon made it a standout. Veal piccata, rack of lamb and roast duck are other family favourites.
The proprietor and waiters have been there from the beginning and we're grateful for the consistent quality of the food and their excellent service. And finally we appreciate the depth of the wine cellar knowing there will always be a perfect pairing with whatever we choose.

2 Thank 333beverley
North Vancouver, Canada
“Ennui on a Plate”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This restaurant is located in an older building. We were seated upstairs in an area that had a vaguely musty smell. The proprietors have been at it too long: there is nothing innovative or interesting about the restaurant or the menu and the service was oriented to get us in and out as quickly as possible. Our food was below average. The only good thing I can say is that our entrees were nice cuts of meat cooked to our specifications. But my wife's steak was ruined by an overly salty peppercorn sauce and my lamb roast had a wierd poultry seasoning crust (these were $28.95 dishes). A crab stuffed artichoke appetizer was dreadful with marinated (probably canned) artichoke and a frighteningly chewy consistency.

When my wife made our reservation - for 6:30 on Valentine's Day - she was told that there was no limit to how long we could have our table. We were looking forward to a leisurely night out but, in fact, we were so rushed by the staff and unimpressed with the food that we were happy to be on our way in one hour, $127.00 plus tip poorer. Our bill included a bottle of wine, cold bread in a basket, 2 appetizers and our main courses.

I could give numerous examples to illustrate how we were rushed, but I will limit it to two: we wanted to decide what we were eating before opting for red or white wine but after being asked for our drink order 3 times in less than 4 minutes, I ordered a bottle of white wine and the "special" artichoke appetizer. The waiter immediately instructed us that we should order our main course because it was busy. He must have known that we had just been seated and hadn't had a chance to look a the menu. I am sure he was trying to reduce the number of times he had to walk up the stairs. His demeanour throughout our evening was disinterested bordering on rude. The other trick: every time a a staff member walked by he or she stopped to pour our wine. I do not need to be topped up after every sip, really. In fact, we found this to be extremely intrusive - our conversation was constantly interrupted. We normally aren't speed drinkers, but thanks to the constant pouring, we polished of our bottle in less than an hour.

La Cuina has been on Marine Drive for a long time (our last visit was 16 years ago and we were unimpressed on that occasion as well). I have no idea how this place has managed to survive for so long. I also wonder how they managed to get so many (or any) positive reviews. If you are looking for a nice restaurant on the North Shore, there are many better options.

5 Thank NorthVanDMo
LaCucinaRestaurant, Owner at La Cucina, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
I, as the owner of La Cucina Restaurant, was dismayed by this review. I have been the proprietor for 34 years and have never been more frustrated that a customer, without uttering one word of complaint with regard to service or food quality, would then write such a scathing review. We could not, as a result, even attempt to make the customer happy. Please allow me to refute the unfounded accusations.

There has never before been a complaint of a musty smell be it vague or overt – perhaps because the carpet on the stairs and upstairs was recently replaced.

I do not pride myself on running an innovative kitchen. My mission has always been to provide very good traditional Italian food at a reasonable price.

I am pleased that you could, at the very least, accede that your entrees were cooked to your specifications. Because I personally quality check each plate that leaves my kitchen, I would certainly expect that the meat was cooked to your specifications. With regard to the overly salty peppercorn sauce, perhaps you are confusing saltiness with spiciness due to the peppercorns. The lamb roast did not have a poultry crust; it was coated with Dijon mustard, bread crumbs, rosemary, sage & thyme. With regard to the artichoke, crab appetizer, describing it as “dreadful” and “frightening” is an extreme insult. Fifty other patrons ordered this appetizer and we received extremely positive feedback. To emphasize my point, a couple returned three evenings later requesting that same appetizer.

If the waiter made you feel rushed, perhaps you could have informed him that you wanted to take your time. As most restaurant patrons who go out on a regular basis are aware, Valentine’s evening is the busiest night of the year. If the service was so “terrible”, why did you leave a 15% gratuity? As for the server not wanting to go up and down the stairs, he is extremely fit, rides his bicycle in marathons and really does enjoy the exercise.

Yes, La Cucina has been around for a long time - this statement is accurate. La Cucina has been successfully serving the North Shore for 34 years. I have managed to do so because of my work ethic, integrity, my desire to make an honest living, and my attention to detail with regard to food quality and service. In closing, please do not hide behind the Internet to spew your negativity. If customers are not satisfied, we would ask them to alert a staff member so that an effort can be made to remedy the situation.

We are grateful to our loyal customers and that they share our priorities – namely old-fashioned Italian comfort food and old-fashioned decency and integrity.
Ottawa, Canada
“North Vancouver Itialian”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went for valentines day, just excellent, ordered one dish off the menu and everything was perfect. good food , good service,

1 Thank 1canuck2alex