I called first to see if the renovations mentioned in another review were done, and they are. Even so, we had pretty low expectations, but they were blown away when we checked in and got into the room (which they even upgraded from a Queen to a King for free, since it was available).
As far as I can tell, the renovations included new carpet, bedding, paint, and some furniture and fixtures. The room looks just like the pics on the site, smells just fine and is clean. The bathroom is small and in need of some help, but it's as good as possible for an old bath, clean and functional. Yeah, the furniture is dinged up a little, some of the stuff in the bathroom is discolored or loose, and the walls are kind of thin (we had partying neighbors in the adjoining room who either had a pet skunk or were smoking a good amount of pot...the sounds and smells did get through the wall and locked door), but it's pretty much a standard, clean, freshened-up 2-star hotel/motel room all around. We've stayed in other hotels all over the place that are about the same for triple or quadruple the price of this Travelodge room.
I was concerned about the location, too, but it's actually pretty convenient for those with their own transportation and don't need to be downtown a lot. We're pretty happy to be a fairly short drive away from everywhere we want to go on this trip, including Lynn Canyon, Kits, Granville Island and Burnaby.
In conclusion, the Lions Gate Travelodge isn't perfect, but it'll likely give you a great bang for your buck if the north side of the Lionsgate Bridge works for you, you understand there is definitely an older property under the recent remodel and you don't need tons of amenities and extras. If you scour the hotel's site and web, you might even be able to find an extraordinary deal (but book it when you find it, because they seem to go quickly!). This place isn't luxurious, particularly romantic, or problem-free, BUT it IS one of the more inexpensive hotels with free parking, good wifi, clean rooms and nice staff in a safe neighborhood (at least it seems that way) in the Greater Vancouver area. If you're looking for cheap and clean, it's worth checking out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Lions Gate Travelodge in beautiful North Vancouver! Nestled at the foot of Grouse Mountain and adjacent to the historic Lions Gate Bridge into Stanley Park and the city centre, we are the best choice in value and comfort for your next great adventure. We are minutes from highway #1, skiing, tennis, waterfront parks, and extended shopping. So much to see and do in our own backyard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Travelodge Vancouver Lions Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travelodge Vancouver Lion`s Gate Hotel Vancouver
- Travelodge North Vancouver
- Travel Lodge North Vancouver
- North Vancouver Travel Lodge
- North Vancouver Travelodge