“Awesome Location But Not Clean At All”

Lonsdale Quay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Nanaimo, Canada
“Awesome Location But Not Clean At All”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I used to stay here all the time. I like the location (above the Quay, steps from the Sea Bus for easy access to downtown and at the bottom of Lower Lonsdale where there are lots of great restaurants and shops) but my last stay (in September 2012) grossed me out completely. I moved the nightstand to plug in my iPhone by the bed and there was 1/2 an inch of dusty hairy stuff on the baseboard. That made me look around. The extra pillows on the bed were gross. They were clearly not cleaned or changed in awhile let alone after the last people were there.

I left the cleaning staff a note saying that I would appreciate having the area vacuumed and pointed specifically to behind the nightstand. I also asked that the pillow be replaced. I left a $2 tip. Tip was gone, pillow and dirty area was still there when I got back.

There are a lot of things to like about this hotel which is why I've stayed there 4 or 5 times but I was so grossed out wondering what dirt I couldn't see ... it's really hard to relax and enjoy a place when you know it's dirty and the staff clearly do not care or are not paid enough to do their job properly.

There's now another hotel nearby that is very similar price and new. It's so far very clean and also has a great harbour view. Plus it has an incredibly awesome vibe in the lobby which the Lonsdale misses. The rooms are modern (Lonsdale rooms are dated now although very large). There's no where to hang out at this hotel at night. The Quay market shuts down and it's hard to even get into the hotel unless you know where to go in.

This hotel has a lot of good things going for it and if you get a great rate you're ok to stay here - just inspect your room for cleanliness before you settle in.

Room Tip: The rooms are very dirty take a look around to make sure it was cleaned.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RoadWarrior
Farah S, General Manager at Lonsdale Quay Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the location and amenities that surround our hotel. I was very sorry to read about the cleanliness in your room. Your comments are going to be shared with our Head Housekeeper, and I would very much appreciate if you could email me at farah@lonsdalequayhotel.com and let me know which room you stayed in. We take comments like yours very seriously. You'll find that most of our reviews find our hotel to be clean and comfortable.
We hope that we can welcome you back in the near future. Our rates are considered the most competitive on the North Shore, and we are happy to offer our great location and great rates to our guests.
Farah Steen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
New Denver BC
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel is located right on the water above a large market with excellent harbour views and very quick and effortless transit to downtown Vancouver on a quick ferry. The hotel rooms are large and most have great views of the harbour. Very clean, well maintained, modern style. The price is excellent considering its access to vancouver downtown. Lots of interesting restaurants nearby and within the facility. The sea bus costs about $5.00, provides you with a free harbour tour weaving around freighters and drops you in downtown vancouver with immediate access to skytrain, buses and all the attractions. I think its an excellent choice if you are interested in a unique hotel experience in a quality hotel for a relatively low price. .

Room Tip: because of low cost consider a junior suite or executive room. I stayed in a standard and had a nice...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am so happy that you found the room to be very clean, modern and with great views! Also, I'm so happy that you enjoyed the Seabus. The Seabus, even for locals is a great form of transport, and feeling like a tourist in our own city. It allows great accessibility to the downtown core!
We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back!
Farah Steen
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel deserves its three star rating, however there are more positives than negative. The positives mainly involve the location. Its situated in the heart of North Vancouver, right next to the Seabus terminal where you can catch water transit to downtown Vancouver. The hotel also sits above a vibrant local indoor market (don't worry about noise, we were near the lobby entrance which is open to the market and couldn't hear any activity.) In fact the hotel was quiet. The room was large and we had a water view. Also, the staff were very friendly.

The negatives were the fact that the free wi- fi code didn't seem to work, the bathroom was a bit dated (yes I'm nit-picking) and parking is $11 a night. The parking issue was my main issue as this doesn't appear to be mentioned on the hotel website and I had read on a well known hotel booking website that parking was free. We thought we had snagged a great deal at $70 but add tax and parking and it was loser to $100.

Still, a good alternative to staying downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here.The desk staff were pleasant and helpful, and the room was very nice.
The hotel is situated above a market, but the room was quiet.
The only 'complaint' we would have is that the parking was difficult to find.We drove around the block twice before admitting defeat and phoning reception.When we found it, it still wasn't obvious that it was used by the hotel.
The area was good- we found nice bars and restaurants nearby, and we felt safe walking, even at midnight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank amblesidebab
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I wanted to have a nice weekend in Vancouver, but not have to spend $$$$ to stay in a downtown hotel. This fit the bill. For a Saturday night in October, we paid $89 plus taxes. But we did not have a view of the water...
The hotel is the 3rd and 4th floor of the Lonsdale Quay building. The first two floors are retail and restaurants. It is steps from the water taxi and the Translink bus bay. We paid $9 per day to park, but later realized that we could have parked for free in a garage a few blocks away that has free weekend parking.
The room was fine for the two of us. King sized bed, love seat, coffee table, closet, nice sized bathroom, fridge.
It was pouring down rain the weekend we were there and we were tired of walking around, so we opted to have dinner at the italian restuarant in the building. That was a nice option.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KLEwing
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Thank you, Lonsdale Quay Hotel, for making my brief stay in North Vancouver an exceptional memory. Clean, contemporary, and at a great price, in a remarkably beautiful location. This boutique hotel is situated adjacent to the SeaBus on the North Shore, which in minutes whisks you to the heart of the Downtown core. The staff were professional, courteous, and exceptionally considerate. The LQ is situated overlooking the Harbour, above a busting market where fresh fruit, baked goods, souvenirs, and all other amenities are fresh and abundant.

Out of town travellers: Once across the harbour via Sea Bus, you have a 20 minute ride via Sky Train to the airport. If you have any idea about traffic congestion in Vancouver, this takes all anxiety about making your flight evaporate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the reception level. When I visited the ground floor suites still required wind...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sharon a
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our brief stay at this hotel in a very good area of North Vancouver overlooking the Burrard Inlet. Definitely worth paying a little extra for the "Executive" room - gives you a nicer view and nicer furnishings in the room, comfortable bed, 5 star linens, robes, etc. Nice complimentary breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, pay the extra for the "Executive" room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
#1 of 10 in North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
North Vancouver Hotel
#5 of 10 in North Vancouver
Best Western Capilano Inn & Suit...
#3 of 10 in North Vancouver
Travelodge Vancouver Lions Gate
#9 of 10 in North Vancouver
Downtown
L'Hermitage Hotel
L'Hermitage Hotel
#1 of 89 in Vancouver

Been to Lonsdale Quay Hotel? Share your experiences!