“Bit seedy...........”

Lonsdale Quay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Location, location, location must account for the near 10% occupancy rate. The hotel occupies the top floors of a shopping mall adjacent to the seabus terminal. The view is superb and unbeatable from about 4 rooms and on one side ( odd number rooms) it is ok. The executive rooms on the even number side look out to the distant view of Vancouver and the bridge across an ocean of roof tops............ they do have balconie but you can only get the view from the balcony or couch by craning your neck.........
Furniture is leftover grandparents style though bathrooms have been updated. So many things did not work - the phone, the deadbolt, the window opener, the toilet seat.... The first room I was shown was NOISY from the shopping mall coolers on the roof, the second was just poor quality. The hallway is dingy and jus do not even think about eh breakfast. It is awful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank annee05

Reviewed May 23, 2011

The Lonsdale quay is a true 'find'. It's location is great: above the Lonsdale Market and only minutes from the Sea Bus (which then connects you directly to the Canada Line and the airport). You can walk the sea wall and stop in at a great variety of restaurants. It's a very comfortable boutique hotel which went out of it's way to give us excellent service. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I am a regular guest at the Quay Hotel, But the customer service and feel of the place has gone down hill...fast. (New management?). I stayed longer than expected due to business. No concierge when switching rooms. I had to move my own luggage to the other side of the Hotel. The front desk staff didn't know how late their restaurant was open until!. Housekeeping was constantly knocking on my door early in the morning despite a do not disturb sign...etc. The hotel staff and managment need to take these reviews seriously, and brush up on customer service skills. I was the guest, but felt I was "Intruding".

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tripreviews41
Reviewed April 22, 2011

As with most 3-star hotels, positives and negatives. Postives--the location is good for visitors to North Vancouver or skiing at Grouse Mtn. For first time visitor to Vancouver, I suggest staying on the city side to get the city "buzz". The hotel's rooms are good....interesting views to the shipyard to the west which I enjoyed. The building includes a shopping arcade beneath which was constructed in 1986 in a vaguely brutalist style with exposed support pillars and much concrete---the building is not beautiful but the lobby, public areas and rooms are well decorated. Many restaurants are nearby, the ferry to the city is 2 minutes away, overnight parking is cheap and secure. The hotel entrance is difficult to find. Overall, good value for the money, pleasant rooms and fun to discover the northern side of Vancouver for a frequent visitor to this great city.

Room Tip: Ask for city side view at the far end of the pier
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tuppergipz
Reviewed April 12, 2011

For the price, this is an excellent place to stay. It's an interesting setup on the 3rd and 4th floors of an attractive public market building (the market is on floors 1 and 2). It is a few steps away from the frequent ferry to downtown Vancouver. It is not a luxury hotel, but it is a fine mid-level hotel. The long axis of the building is perpendicular to the edge of the inner harbor, so we had to look to the right out our room's window to see the water. Still, the on-water location of the whole building was enjoyable. There are a couple of modest but OK restaurants in the building and several others (perhaps more interesting) a short walk away from the hotel. During the day there are lots of options for food at the booths in the market downstairs. The hotel does have a small breakfast room, which has good food but not as much variety as I would have liked. On our trips we seek out reasonably priced hotels and hope they are at least OK. The whole experience at this hotel was much better than OK. If I was returning to Vancouver, I'd absolutely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We were forced to cancel our trip because it would have involved changing planes in Japan where they were having problems containing radioactive fallout from the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Although the hotel cancellation policy was somewhat vague saying it did imply that the entire amount would be charged at booking without possibility of a refund but I only read the 24-hour cancellation part of the paragraph and booked on that basis. When I cancelled the Lonsdale Quay Hotel they informed me that it was a non-refundable booking and refused to return the $816 they had charged but when I pointed out the confusion in their cancellation policy statement they recanted and refunded the entire amount to my credit card. I have never met them in person but I am very impressed with the people there. You can be sure that whenever we are in YVR we will book our accommodation at the Lonsdale Quay Hotel.

Room Tip: Please read the cancellation policy carefully
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This hotel has such potential! Every room has a water view, and there is a beautiful Market/Quay right underneath it!

My whole family chooses (well, used to choose) this hotel for their North Vancouver stays which is usually about 5 times a year 3-4 rooms at a time.

I've worked in the Sales Departments of a few hotels so I even did the hotel a favour by calling them and booking directly through them instead of Travelocity, Expedia etc. in order to help them increase their net profits.

The room we were put in was located close to the entrance to the hotel corridor. There is a door that separates the corridor and boy does this door SLAM! We were awoken at 7am by this slamming door and forced to get up because it was so loud there is no way you could ignore it. My Sister and Brother in law were also staying this time but one floor down - they experienced the exact same problem.

I mentioned it to the front desk and they informed me there was nothing they could do but that they would have the manager Caroline Dennis contact me Monday to see what could be done to correct this problem.

So Thursday came along and I still hadn't heard from her so I decided to call. The first thing she said to me was "Well, I didn't get any message from my staff" arguing right off the bat! I mentioned to her about the door, she proceeded to argue with me that the door has a soft closer so it isn't loud - I'm sorry, it must have been me imagining the SLAMMING DOOR at 7am on a Saturday morning after a St.Patrick's party, my mistake. I then let her know that I don't think its fair for us to pay for a room that we booked for the sole reason of being able to sleep in. She denied that request and started raising her voice. She said the most they do for noise complaints it 20% because its not their fault. IT'S THEIR DOOR! They just need some cushioning or hydraulics or something put in to prevent this. Anyways it ended with her rudely arguing and my issue not being resolved. We will never stay in this hotel again.

I actually laughed when I read the other reviews on here because of the Managers replies. I'm not sure if it is the same Manager (I would assume so) but all of her responses seem to have an "I'm Right, You're Wrong" kind of flair to them. Seems like no ones issues get resolved and she just likes to argue.

Book with the Holiday Inn North Vancouver, they are a top rated Holiday Inn for amenities AND guest service.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Martini396
lqhmanager, General Manager at Lonsdale Quay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

Dear Guest.
Please contact me directly about your stay. I was aware of your complaint as Ms. Dennis did share your concern with me. Your room was located right beside a entrance door, and we have tried to address the hydraulic swing on it. We had a high occupancy that night, and the next morning we had early risers. .
I'm sorry for your stay. I noted you have stayed in previous years, and had a good experience. I would have hoped that this stay should have been the same, and I apologize for that it was not. We did extend a discount to you, and hope that we can somehow redeem ourselves in the future to you.
Farah Stéen
General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
#1 of 10 in North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
North Vancouver Hotel
#5 of 10 in North Vancouver
Best Western Capilano Inn & Suit...
#3 of 10 in North Vancouver
Travelodge Vancouver Lions Gate
#8 of 10 in North Vancouver
Downtown
Fairmont Waterfront
Fairmont Waterfront
#12 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Lonsdale Quay Hotel? Share your experiences!