“Worst Inn in the Whole of BC very expensive”
Review of Grouse Inn

Grouse Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Reviewed August 14, 2013

old TV's from 1960's where's the HDtv's I am paying 300 a night beds smell couches have stains on them and I had some kind of rash in the morning I kid you not this is the most worst inn I have ever stayed in your better if at Hampton for 150 instead of this place sure its got all the close ho clubs and slutz for cheap I just feel dirty. strongly Avoid this place for families please stay away if you have kids. Not a place for a family man to stay the night with kids. A perfect place for truckers who want lot lizard's.

Strongly Avoid
Not worth more then 50 a night

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Booked this hotel through Hotwire (who I will never book with again) and got stuck here for three nights.

I had called and asked for a king bed room, since Hotwire gave us two double beds. The woman told me she'd try to assist me, but when I got there, they said there was nothing they could do.

The room was dirty. There was dust everywhere and I found hair that wasn't mine in the bed and in the bathroom. Not just on the bathroom floor but in the towels. Gross.

The free breakfast in the morning was a joke. We ended up eating elsewhere since even their bread and milk tasted funny.

On our last morning, the power was out. This was the second time during our stay that the power had gone out. We had to call the front desk FOUR times until anyone came to check it out. One person told us the whole floor was out of power, while someone else said it was just our room and the room next door.

They didn't help us out in any way and we had to pack and shower in the dark. An hour after we had complained (with still no power) we were offered a new room to shower in and/or candles. Really? An hour later?

When we went to check out, there was no apology, no "thanks for staying" and no sort of compensation.

Although the area was great, I would never, ever stay here again. Spend the extra money and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandra S
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked this Inn for 3 nights, picked the location to be just slightly out of the busy downtown core. Was a close drive to Stanley Park(Aquarium). The continental breakfast was NOT good(we ate at the Denny's next door for the other 2 mornings), Pastries were stale, fruit was not fresh, hard boiled eggs were very overcooked ect....., the price was right $98 a night for location, free Wi-Fi, breakfast, free parking and pool. We booked a 2 bed Queen room with a fridge we received a king bed room with no fridge:( Staff was friendly, The room its self was disappointing. It smelled musty, damp and stale. We opened all the windows to let in fresh air but there was NO screens on the windows so all the bugs came in, we had to just put the A/C on at all times to have some air circulating in the room. The bathroom towels were very hard and scratchy. The carpets were torn and dirty in the room. We had such a busy itinerary that we were really only in the room to sleep so to us it was OK however I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank manders91
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our room was ground level, away from the road so quiet. It had the biggest bed I have ever slept in. There was a smell as we entered, unidentified but we used incence to freshen the room.

Staff were a little aloof, and I can only assume that they were dealing with a lot of complaints and so were on the defence. They all sounded foreign to me so communication was sometimes difficult.

The breakfast was awful. There was nothing appetising. I would rather pay less than be offered cold boiled eggs. This was my first trip to North America, so I have no experience of what is normal on the American side. The pasties were dreadful, the yogurt was dispensed from a 20 litre bucket. The color was most unnatural.
The pool was great, I loved that it was placed in the centre of the car park, this appealed to my sense of humour.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was skeptical in staying here, from the reviews I've read. But I'm very glad I decided to give them my business.
My credit card didn't go thru. Last payment must not have gone thru yet. Embarrassing. The lovely staff was very helpful in allowing me to pay up front on debit along with a cash deposit.

Forgot to mention to them that we had a dog the size of a pony when I booked the room. No problem. She transferred us to a pet friendly room and charged an extra $40.

The pet room we stayed in was very clean. Not one hair in sight. The AC worked great, along with the TV and fridge. The outdoor pool was very clean and refreshing. We had a great sleep and a complimentary breakfast in the morning. I don't know of any other hotel that can offer all this for the low price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jeffino
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We booked a block of rooms for 4 nights for a team participating at Soccer Provincials in North Vancouver. The location and outdoor pool were a great asset, coin laundry onsite and continental breakfast - mediocre. We had made a couple of calls prior to arriving and the front desk/reception staff were very accommodating. Everything was good until we were all checked in, the tone of the Front Desk staff seemed to change at that time and every inquiry or request we had seemed to be an inconvenience... One of our rooms was a 2bdrm with one bedroom not having a window, we asked about getting a fan but were told they do not have fans, the rooms (living area only) are all "air-conditioned" which did not work very well! Team had the continental breakfast offered the first morning which was ok, yogourt and hard boiled eggs had a strange flavour. We were not really impressed so we made our own continental breakfast in one of the larger suites for the team for the remainder of the stay. Did not receive maid service the first couple of days and when we did it was minimal, The floor/carpet did not get vacuumed for our entire stay. They did not restock coffee or toilet paper, actually left the empty roll on the holder and did not leave a replacement. When we approached the maids on site they gave supplies without hesitation. Coin laundry was definitely an asset but when we went to Front Desk to get more coins for machines we were told to go to Gas station across the street, other guests were told the same, ridiculous when these are their machines. Motel has all the amenities but probably would not stay again or recommend with the service we received.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2013

After riding a motorcycle in full leather protective gear in 27 degree Celsius weather for 300 miles all you want is a nice cool room.

We checked in and the room was HOT! The AC was on low so, we turned it to high and left for dinner. We get back and it's still extremely hot in the room. The Toilet water tank was sweating it was so hot!

We call the front desk and tell them the AC is broke and ask for a fan. Sorry, we don't have fans. There is nothing we can do.

The only option is to leave the window open with no screen and hope the breeze will pickup. (It didn't). There is an added bonus doing this: You get to listen to every wannabe race car driver with loud exhaust speed down the Main Street.

At the minimum I'd have expected a room change. Nope not an option. I'll make sure our group rides NEVER use this place again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family