“YOu GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grouse Inn

Grouse Inn
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Melbourne
“YOu GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The room had no privacy with no net curtains so you closed the curtains and sat in lamplight in the middle of the day or got looked at by the passers by. In bed at night, you can hear the people upstairs walking around. Sink in the room , not the bathroom. Lots of very loud kids and a halal cafe in one corner. Stern, unsmiling East European staff, but helpful nevertheless.Breakfast food ok and aligned to the price but the dining room is a grim affair. The website is just like a real estate ad, totally misrepresents the quality level of the place.
Having said all of this, if money is an issue, it is ok for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Away from the stairs means less noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Colin G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Abbotsford, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Do not expect something fancy. You get something very basic for what you pay. Furniture is very old. Pictures are totally different from reality. Free breakfast is a joke. Rooms are not clean.
Thanks they brought a crib for my baby and upgraded us to a suite for our anniversary, but I wondered what would be a regular room if the suite is so bad like this!
One night is enough for the price and quality. Not recommended for long stays.
Bed and sheets are old. Hairdryer was not working!

Room Tip: Second level, you can get some view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank antoine3hindeleh
elaaaki, General Manager at Grouse Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your comment, we were very surprised to read your review of your
recent stay at Grouse Inn. The experience you detailed is not the norm for our Inn.
Our guests typically find the Grouse Inn clean and comfortable.

Our Complimentary Continental Breakfast now includes many items for a great start of the day.
I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these North Vancouver hotels

Tehran, Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very good hotel, you'll feel comfortable there, also there are good restaurants like Deny's or Caspian (Persian cuisine) over there. You are close to beautiful places so you can go and walk around. Also you have a good view to see the mountains. Enjoy the good breakfast. But the only thing was the stupid wifi login!!!! But totally that's awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank arya_kk
elaaaki, General Manager at Grouse Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We are pleased to hear that our rooms and facilities were comfortable and met your expectations. Not often enough do we hear from our guests and your recognition is greatly appreciated and ensure our continued efforts to providing an exceptional and quality service.
British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The room in this hotel was more than adequate in that it had a comfortable bed, and a fridge and a microwave. However the remote control for the television did not work properly. More importantly, the room was not clean. There were bits on the floor, cobwebs in the overhead ceiling lights, and the bedspread was stained. The breakfast is fine, and the front desk clerk was very nice. I obtained the room for about $50 on Hotwire, and I was very glad I had not paid more than that, as it is seriously lacking in the cleanliness department.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 4coasters
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Upon arrival, I checked into my room and conducted an inspection of the room.

I turned down the sheets and bedcovers to find long dark hairs on them. The counters of the bathroom sink and bedside tables were dirty with some kind of liquid spills... coffee?

I complained immediately and was moved to a different room that smelled of cigarette smoke. Again, the counters were dirty. I slept terribly that night because the sheets were so itchy.

The next day the staff moved me back to the other room and I insisted that they give me non-itchy sheets. They did.

In the evening I took a shower while the water accumulated up around my ankles. The next morning same thing. I was taking a shower while 4-6 inches of water accumulated in the tub due to a non-draining drain. I looked down the drain and it was disgusting.

After the plugged shower drain incident, I checked out and found a B&B where, while it wasn't 100% clean, it was better.

I stayed 3 nights but should have left and stayed elsewhere after the first night. I decided not to because I had business to do in North Vancouver and it was convenient geographically. I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

Most of the staff, including the manager, are rude and apparently so bored with their job they would rather talk on the phone to their friends than help customers. In the end, the manager gave me only a $10 discount on the first night's stay. He became angry with me because I complained within hearing range of all his guests who were having "breakfast" in the breakfast room next to his office.

The "breakfast" was terrible. Dry bread. Cereals that looked grey. A 4-slice toaster where only 2 "slices" worked.

During that time the staff moved me twice.

Room Tip: Take a tour of the room offered to you. Inspect the countertops. Feel the sheets. Fold over the shee...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank floodedsky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel rooms are old and stinky and they open to the outside with so much noise. The sheets were visibly dirty and I had to request new ones. Their breakfast is a joke, I don't know how do they call it continental breakfast.
I reserved it online because nothing else were available for that day with my last minute trip and the only reason I didn't check out, was because I only had to sleep there for a few hours. It was too expensive for a cheap, dirty motel.

• Stayed August 2012