“The Perfect Taco” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cafe for Contemporary Art
Cuisines: Cafe, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Description: Café for Contemporary Art is an independent art space featuring both international and local artists; is an amazing café serving the most thoughtfully roasted (and sourced) beans predominantly from 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters; is a great place to get soup; is home to Matthew Craig's signature spelt brownies (best ever!); is a great place for kids to come and draw; is home to periodic literary and musical events; is across from the Pinnacle Hotel on East Esplanade in North Vancouver's emerging Lower Lonsdale neighbourhood.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Perfect Taco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

They could definitely do a "best thing I ever ate" show on these tacos! I am not usually a fan of the taco, but driving down from a hike on Mt Seymour, I saw this place listed with great reviews , so what the heck!? I had a pulled pork, slaw and cilantro, and a beef brisket taco. They were both wonderful! My wife, who doesn't eat met, ordered the sweet potato taco, and raved over the caramelized sweet potatoe and spicy dressing! We both enjoyed their jasmine tea, she hot, me iced, and finished it up with Two sister's gluten free cake and cookie. Now I never bother to look for gluten free, and occasionally have tried a GF product which tastes ... Almost as good as.. Etc. the GF cookie Ginger and molasses was delicious. Period.

What a great place, and thanks Tripadvisor, or we never would have found it!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Bciliberto

North Vancouver, Canada
“Best fish taco ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I recently tried the fish taco at this place at the urging of my wife. She has travelled alot in Mexico and other Latin countries and she said this was a taco like she use to have when she was in Mexico that you would get at one of the taco stands. I tried it and I too have to say that it is an amazing tasting taco, it might be the creamy coleslaw or the pumpkin mole but something gives it awesome flavor. The lattes are excellent and it is quite the little cafe as they have an art exhibit as well. Stop by if you are in the neighbourhood and give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dan H
Seattle, Washington
“Wishing every city had a cafe this good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Tacos and coffee? Why not, when both are made with such attention to tastiness? The tacos are the standout, and if we could, we would eat here on every visit to Vancouver. They outshine many of the dishes at more established restaurants nearby. My favorite was the tamale taco, which was flavorful, healthy and everything an afternoon snack should be. I regret not taking some of their beans home with us, but it only makes for an excuse to return soon to try a few more tacos and spend some time relaxing over a big cup of joe.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank LoladeTiburon
San Francisco, California
“Artisanal coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

this place is a coffee shop, taco shop and art gallery...all in one. They do all 3 quite well too! Get a taco and a capuccino for dessert!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank ElMatador_sf
Vancouver, BC
“Delicious and fresh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

A coworker introduced to this place to me today for lunch. I work nearby but never knew this was here. I was intrigued by the promise of fish tacos for lunch. When we got there, I was pleasantly surprised by the menu.
Its a casual restaurant that serves good coffee and 'everyday tacos'. Let me tell you that the tacos are not average or 'everyday'. There are about 6 or more types of tacos, about 3 of them are vegetarian. I ordered the fish taco. I love falafels, so I also wanted to try the Falaco taco. The server said two tacos make a good size of lunch. My coworker ordered the fish taco and a salad but I can't remember the name of it. It looked good and had pumkin seeds, craisins, greens, vegs and the dressing was made from tahini. She enjoyed her lunch as did I. The tacos are served on soft flour tortillas (4" size) doubled up, very fresh, and hot. The fish is coated in panko, then covered with guacamole, creamy fresh coleslaw. Very tasty. I wish I could make one right now... the Falaco taco is also good, its a homemade falafel with pickles, lettuce, a tomato paste/sauce - combination of flavours is delicious. Two was the right amount for lunch for me and cost around $9.50 (thats including the tax).
Its kind of like fast food but not really. Although I saw a few people come in for take-out. You place your order and pay at the counter with a friendly and polite server. They will serve it to you where you are sitting. We sat at the picnic long table. There are other smaller tables there as also counter in the window seatting too.
This place is wonderful to have in the Lonsdale, North Vancouver area. Its different from the fast food places around there.
Also if you go here, have a coffee. While having the tacos, I noticed that their coffee smelled good and sounded good. "Ethiopian..." something... so, I ordered one to go. It did not disappoint.
I look forward to going back and trying more tacos. Two thumbs up!

• Visited November 2012