“great value and service”
Review of Fishworks

Fishworks
Cuisines: Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2012

A midweek dinner out on a beautiful sunny West Coast evening and we chose Fishworks. Have been here for lunch and dinner a few times and never been disappointed. I had the scallops and risotto and my husband had the wild salmon wellington. Both were excellent choices and cooked perfectly.
We topped the meal off with coffee and dessert. The cherry pana cotta was surperb but the creme brulee was a wee bit disappointing - not as smooth as I'd hoped.
Otherwise, wonderful service, good wine and thumbs up for Fishworks.

There are newer reviews for Fishworks

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Beautiful restaurant,very friendly staff. The chef is breathtakingly good. You don't want to distroy the food on your plate. The food very delicious and the price is good. Fantastic experience. You just want to go back over and over. My visitors from France were stunt by the quality and the talent of the chef who owns the place as well.

1  Thank Kaviana
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Having been to Fishworks twice before (the food has always been fantastic), we made a reservation when a friend came in from out of town. My husband arrived at the restaurant first (on time) and stood in the doorway for at least 5 minutes before he was even acknowledged. It was not busy (less than 1/3 of the restaurant was occupied), and one of the staff up front actually stared reading the paper before taking the time to look up and ask my husband how he could be helped. Upon finally being shown to a table, he ordered a coffee. I arrived with our guest a few minutes later and we placed non-complicated drink orders. Twenty minutes later (a full half hour from when my husband was seated) the server had not returned. 30 minutes and not even a beverage! Being in a neighborhood abundant with restaurants - and being hungry - we made the decision to cut our losses and move on. We got up to leave, at which point our server magically appeared with a shocked expression saying "where are you going? What is the matter?" Are you kidding us?? We'd still be waiting for a coffee and a couple beers if we didn't leave. We went around the block to the Thai house - a totally different dining choice - however we were immediately welcomed and seated with smiles and attentiveness. Interestingly, I note the same "didn't even acknowledge us" complaint back in January 2011... apparently Fishworks does not have the aptitude or interest to learn customer service - which is too bad for the really great chef who is in there somewhere.

2  Thank TravelDivaVancouver
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Tasty food at this restaurant that specializes in fish and from the wine list, probably wine. Pricing was expensive but portion sizes were really big. I found the two dishes we picked to be extremely "carb heavy".

2  Thank wilburintoronto
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My last experience of Fishworks was a nightmare, as the service was horrendous and I felt totally unsatisfied. I ended up giving it about a 1 star. Essentially, we were moved from the bar to a table and no one was assigned as our server. No one checked in on us about our terrible and improperly cooked food and we sat for over 25 minutes after busers cleared our table waiting for someone to ask us if we'd like our check or dessert. Finally, I asked someone who our server was, she said I guess I could help you. It was a waste of money and it was the worst experience we had ever had for service. I vowed I'd never go back.

That was six months ago. Last week, I decided to give them another try. I arrived after the dinner rush and was promptly seated. I believe my server was the bartender who was a nice person, who was totally unprepared for his encounter with a customer.

They offered a featured dish, which was halibut cooked in a broth with mint. Oh no, mint and halibut didn't sound good at all, but I was curious and asked to sample the broth, because who knows maybe it would surprise me. I could taste the various layers within the broth and they were awesome. But the mint lingered and wrecked the beautiful flavours. It is like someone giving you a sweet cake with delicious layers, then putting mustard in the middle one.

So I passed on the halibut feature.

I selected the Black Rockfish with pickled vegetables, cilantro butter, Asian pancake for $19. It sounded delicious.

Bread and butter arrived at the table and recalled my last experience with their bread and butter: stale tasting bread with a strange taste in the butter. I wondered if it would be a better experience this time. And allow the bread was fresher, the texture and the flavour was not appealing. I wonder why they'd choose sub par bread as an introduction to a meal. The butter (an individual swirl of cold butter) had the taste of stale butter, you know when your butter is in the fridge and you haven't eaten it in while and the end part or exposed part has an off flavour. So I wondered, did they pipe this 5 days ago and let it sit in the fridge or has this butter swirl been frozen.

I go into detail about the small things, because I believe how you do anything is how you do everything. If a simple basic food offering, such as butter and bread, is not delicious how can you get anything right?

So then my meal arrived. With the exception of the shaved green onion on top, the rest of the dish was one note in colour. I tasted the fish, it was perfectly cooked and has a great flavour. Ahhh, this place was beginning to redeem itself. Or so I thought, I began eating the veggies, oh the same flavour, the must have cooked the fish in the same broth. My palate was very quickly getting numbed by one note and it was a little salty. I was excited to try the Asian pancake, but it was mushy and soggy like wet bread and tasted like the fish and veggies. Arrgh!

The server came over and asked how my meal was. I told him the pancake was soggy. He responded "that's because they pour the broth over the pancake so it can soak up the flavours of the broth. I said, "but it is like eating soggy bread." I told him that the fish was perfectly cooked. He seemed uncomfortable and walked away. He didn't offer me an alternative or anything.

I ate the fish and veggies, but left the ruined asian pancake. When he came to take my plate, I asked him to have the chef taste the pancake and share my concerns so he knew what I was talking about. My server never came back to say anything to me about it.

I have given this review one additional star because the service was a little better. The food was mildly better than the disasters of my first visit.

I think this place gets good reviews because North Vancouver is lacking in good or even excellent fish restaurants and people are so used to mediocre here on the north shore.

I just noticed a new fish restaurant called Pier 7, I'll try that restaurant this week, as it can't get any worse than Fishworks!