“Tasty food!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Tasty food at this restaurant that specializes in fish and from the wine list, probably wine. Pricing was expensive but portion sizes were really big. I found the two dishes we picked to be extremely "carb heavy".

2  Thank wilburintoronto

Reviewed June 22, 2012

My last experience of Fishworks was a nightmare, as the service was horrendous and I felt totally unsatisfied. I ended up giving it about a 1 star. Essentially, we were moved from the bar to a table and no one was assigned as our server. No one checked in on us about our terrible and improperly cooked food and we sat for over 25 minutes after busers cleared our table waiting for someone to ask us if we'd like our check or dessert. Finally, I asked someone who our server was, she said I guess I could help you. It was a waste of money and it was the worst experience we had ever had for service. I vowed I'd never go back.

That was six months ago. Last week, I decided to give them another try. I arrived after the dinner rush and was promptly seated. I believe my server was the bartender who was a nice person, who was totally unprepared for his encounter with a customer.

They offered a featured dish, which was halibut cooked in a broth with mint. Oh no, mint and halibut didn't sound good at all, but I was curious and asked to sample the broth, because who knows maybe it would surprise me. I could taste the various layers within the broth and they were awesome. But the mint lingered and wrecked the beautiful flavours. It is like someone giving you a sweet cake with delicious layers, then putting mustard in the middle one.

So I passed on the halibut feature.

I selected the Black Rockfish with pickled vegetables, cilantro butter, Asian pancake for $19. It sounded delicious.

Bread and butter arrived at the table and recalled my last experience with their bread and butter: stale tasting bread with a strange taste in the butter. I wondered if it would be a better experience this time. And allow the bread was fresher, the texture and the flavour was not appealing. I wonder why they'd choose sub par bread as an introduction to a meal. The butter (an individual swirl of cold butter) had the taste of stale butter, you know when your butter is in the fridge and you haven't eaten it in while and the end part or exposed part has an off flavour. So I wondered, did they pipe this 5 days ago and let it sit in the fridge or has this butter swirl been frozen.

I go into detail about the small things, because I believe how you do anything is how you do everything. If a simple basic food offering, such as butter and bread, is not delicious how can you get anything right?

So then my meal arrived. With the exception of the shaved green onion on top, the rest of the dish was one note in colour. I tasted the fish, it was perfectly cooked and has a great flavour. Ahhh, this place was beginning to redeem itself. Or so I thought, I began eating the veggies, oh the same flavour, the must have cooked the fish in the same broth. My palate was very quickly getting numbed by one note and it was a little salty. I was excited to try the Asian pancake, but it was mushy and soggy like wet bread and tasted like the fish and veggies. Arrgh!

The server came over and asked how my meal was. I told him the pancake was soggy. He responded "that's because they pour the broth over the pancake so it can soak up the flavours of the broth. I said, "but it is like eating soggy bread." I told him that the fish was perfectly cooked. He seemed uncomfortable and walked away. He didn't offer me an alternative or anything.

I ate the fish and veggies, but left the ruined asian pancake. When he came to take my plate, I asked him to have the chef taste the pancake and share my concerns so he knew what I was talking about. My server never came back to say anything to me about it.

I have given this review one additional star because the service was a little better. The food was mildly better than the disasters of my first visit.

I think this place gets good reviews because North Vancouver is lacking in good or even excellent fish restaurants and people are so used to mediocre here on the north shore.

I just noticed a new fish restaurant called Pier 7, I'll try that restaurant this week, as it can't get any worse than Fishworks!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have been to Fishworks 4 times in the past 18 months and we haven't been let down yet.
I am not even a "seafood lover" but I'm always ready to return. I usually order the SALMON WELLINGTON, it is out of this world! The people I have dined with have ordered various menu items and they all say the same thing "wonderful"!

1  Thank Bodiddles
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Great atmosphere and service and the meals did not disappoint we started with the spot prawn special and then I had the seafood paella which was very tasty and looked great. The staff were very attentive without being overbearing.
Some reviewers complained that there was a lot of noise, there are a lot of covers in the main room but we did not find the noise level at all a problem. All in all a great impromptu night where we just walked off the street, we were found a table and we had a great Fishy experience.
Thank you Fish works we will be back next time we are in Vancouver

1  Thank Savadge
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I started with the oysters and had bouillabaisse as a main. The oysters were fresh and tasty, and the bouillabaisse was loaded with seafood, spicy, and extremely tasty. The staff was attentive but not too pushy, and the atmosphere was clean and modern. Would come back here again if I find myself in the neighbourhood.

1  Thank Ian F