“Swiming pool is not Disability Friendly”

Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
vancouver canada
“Swiming pool is not Disability Friendly”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful hotel in early May thinking that a 5 star hotel built recently in Vancouver should be disability friendly. The hotel and the room was ok, but i was so disappointed when I went to use the Swimming pool. The swimming pool only has ladders, there is no stairs , or ramps or one of those chairs that lets those that have difficulty using the ladder get in and out of the pool!.
This was very disappointing!!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mitil
Petr F, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for you constructive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
College Station, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I travelled to this hotel last year for a conference in Vancouver. I stayed here for about three nights and really enjoyed myself. From the level of customer service to the amenities that are provided, I thought it was perhaps one of the best hotels (if not THE BEST) I had ever stayed.

Last week - June 1-5 - I returned with my wife (who is 7 months pregnant), to stay at this hotel specifically on our business/pleasure trip. I have a conference in Victoria from June 6-10 but we decided to arrive early in order to stay at this hotel again. I knew she would enjoy the room, the view as well as the amenities (e.g. pool, hot tub, location). Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Melina, she promptly informed me that she needed my ID and a credit card for incidentals. While this was going on I told Melina that United had lost my wife's luggage and she was distraught because she doesn't have any clothes for the evening (after 12+ hours of traveling). I had asked her to ring a taxi as the airport told us there was a Wal-Mart near the hotel that was open until 11:00 pm (we checked in at 10:15 pm), so we were in a bit of a hurry... Melina then told me that she was charging my card $100/night for incidentals but if this was too much she could hold $50/night for incidentals. When I happened to glance over the top of the computer terminal I noticed a $982 hold ready to go on my credit card. As a student, who planned a special stay for his wife, that doesn't necessarily have a ton of money (was waiting for my paycheck to be applied to my bank account - this would happen during our stay), Melina thought she would start my vacation off right by locking up half of my credit!!! I didn't appreciate not being told that she was holding this amount on my card, ALL SHE MENTIONED WAS INCIDENTALS!!! She also went on to basically break down the charge for me like I was a three year old, she cut me off and told me that I needed to listen to what she was saying. My wife finally had to cut her off, as all she kept saying was that she was only holding incidentals but she was in fact not changing the hold from the $982...basically wasting our time as we were trying to make it to Wal-Mart (of all places) to grab my wife a change of clothes. Through the entire check in experience she and the gentleman next to her (who wasn't busy) failed to even call us a taxi.

Also, on charges I was emailed the full-price of my stay before our arrival ($770), when I checked out the total was around $785 because the tax system in Vancouver changed. I didn’t mind this but I would have liked a note, email or call about this change…or even been told upon check-in (again, this was a minor item).

Aside from all of that, I decided to call the manager that evening who didn't answer (it was late) and then the following morning I called again and Tornay was very appreciative of my criticism. She also mentioned that Melina was new and probably panicked in the situation she was put in, granted I wasn't being brash with her, I just wished she would have spoken up and told me about the hold that she was putting on my card. Tornay offered my wife and I breakfast the following morning and it got our day off to a better start than the previous night we arrived.

We enjoyed the hotel, the view was amazing and the room was very nice. The microwave and the fridge made keeping food in the room easy. The harbor-side rooms also have Keurig coffeepots, which made great coffee. Although for those of you that enjoy coffee, spring the $3.95 for a carafe of coffee from the restaurant (fantastic coffee-great blend and they add cinnamon). The bed and maidservice are also stellar! Also, the Olympic-sized swimming pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room all made our stay more comfortable (I just wish that the pool had more relaxed hours - If there is no lifeguard, why do you have to close the pool area at 10 pm??).

A last mention about the hotel, as my wife and I were on semi-vacation and missing clothes for 36 hours, we weren't dressed to the 9's as we walked through the hotel. I have to agree with a previous reviewer that younger guests (I am 28, my wife 26) are not as heartily greeted/taken care of as much as their older clientele (40+). I am not sure why this is but besides my check-out with Mr. Stonestreet, I didn’t feel like anyone else(front desk) really respected me as an equal. All of the women/men in the restaurant were fantastic but the front desk staff (besides managers/assistant managers) need a refresh.

For the price ($170-$200+/night) and the way that we were treated on this trip, I am questioning if we will return to this hotel. I have also stayed at the Hyatt downtown Vancouver (4*) for $80/night through Priceline (had similar amenities). We are also now staying at a hotel in Victoria for $100/night (as nice/nicer than the Pinnacle) breakfast, the view of the harbor and Parliament is included. The attitude that we experienced at the Pinnacle is also a welcome thing to be missing from this hotel in Victoria.

My advice, if you have had a good experience at the Pinnacle in the past, don’t expect everything to be as it was when you visited before (look at other places and save $100/night). If you haven’t had the opportunity to stay there and can swallow the cost (since you can never get a low deal on Priceline), try it out – there are worse places in the world.

Room Tip: Harborside all the way!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russcular
Petr F, Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Russcular,

Thank you for the great review of the hotel and I appreciate the time and effort that you put into it. There are some great points for improvement and I will definitely use this review as a tool for our guest services team. I have followed up with Melina and although being quite new to the position it provides objective feedback which will only make her better at her position and with more experience she will be more apt to handle these situations with more grace. As for the price range for rooms in Vancouver during the summer rates are higher due to demand in the city. You will find the hotel on priceline.com and other on-line travel agents though the deals may not be as marked in the summer than the off-season. Again thank you for the review and if you ever come to Vancouver again and I encourage you to do so. Please give me a call at the hotel as I would like you to give us another try.

Brendan Stonestreet
Guest Services & Revenue Manager
Sidney, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel is well located at Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver, as short sea bus ride to the heart of downtown. The ease and quiet of the hotel is a great welcome. The staff are always good! The fitness centre and pool are awesome! The rooms are quite comfortable and well appointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Petr F, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you Steve for your great review.

New Orleans
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is a shiny new hotel with very trendy styling. Some may be put off by the glass wall in the bathroom shower, which has blinds, but that's only if partner trust is an issue. The room view is the Vancouver skyline, albeit with an ugly yellow crane obscuring an otherwise perfect panorama. To get to town is a $2 and 7.5 minute boat ride away, with the ferry very close by.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, for your great feedback, really appreciated. Hope you will be coming back soon in the near future.

Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Im almost reluctant to share this cause Im afraid the price might go up and availability go down when people find out about this gem..having travelled extensively including several previous trips (both business and pleasure) to the Vancouver area we inadvertently stumbled onto this facility a couple yrs ago...we are currently enjoying our 3 rd return to the Pinnacle and our opinion only gets better each time..our visits are usually a minimum of 4 to 7 days)...It's affordable with a lovely view of the harbour so we enjoy the ongoing activity..The area is so quaint with all the services offered 2 minutes walk away at the quay or within a few blocks into town (restraunts,the market withits extremely fresh products...weekly farmers market and food trucks,..even got a great haircut with a discount for guests of the Pinnacle)..of course with the fabulously affordable and efficient transit system, you can EASILY access the airport and all downtown Vancouvers amenities several times a day for less $ than a couple hrs parking..YOU DONOT NEED TO RENT A CAR!..one of the biggest perks of this location to me is that it allows us to go for a lovely neighborhood walk thru town or by the docks without the constant harassment of homeless panhandlers that are so prelevant in the city..the rooms are modern, clean, well equipped, staff are super friendly and accomidating..we don't have a single complaint and it is by far our first choice anytime we are in the greater Vancouver area...

Room Tip: We love the harbor view..amazing views of downtown Vanvouver skyline and the activity of the harbour...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Petr F, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you Judy M for your great review, really appreciated. We are truly a hidden treasure on the North Shore and in Vancouver, ready to be discovered, offering great rewards. And no need to worry, the price will not go up - at least not for the next 24 hrs :)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Harbour view room -spectacular view across the inlet both day & night. Ultra clean, comfortable room decorated with elegant taste. Staff went out of their way to be helpful. Room service Sunday brought a fantastic prime rib dinner cooked to perfection. Wished I could have stayed longer. Highly recommended. Hope they keep their prices reasonable (unlike most of Van. hotels.) They even arranged sunshine for my stay!

Room Tip: Harbour view is the way to go.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Petr F, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you Donna L for your review. And yes, sunshine is always included, complimentary.

Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed May 29, 2013

great location. The sea bus was at the marina just by the hotel and made for an easy,fun trip to downtown. The view from our harbor side room was perfect, lights at night, ships coming and going throughout the day. Friday night there was a "Saturday market" event at the shipyard park with entertainment. We left our window open to listen to the music. The hotel is about 3 miles from Capilano Bridge and just another mile from the bridge to Grouse Mountain. A slightly longer drive over the Lions Gate Bridge takes you to Stanley Park. Can't think of a better location to launch to all these destinations. We had dinner and breakfast and both were good. The food presentation was very nice. Wine was a little on the pricy side. The staff, especially Dean (the bartender) was very friendly and service was great. Really enjoyed the room, especially the glass shower with a view. Only comments on the bathroom, 2 sinks would be nice as well as a hand held shower head. The magnifying mirror was a plus for me. The market with shops and restaurants are right there to stroll through.

Room Tip: Harbor room is a must. Higher floors are best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank allenjones
Dear allenjones,
Thank you for your great review and I am glad you did enjoy your long weekend getaway with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
Hotel BLU
Hotel BLU
#12 of 89 in Vancouver
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,461 reviews

Been to Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier? Share your experiences!