“Excellent alternative to downtown Vancouver” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier

Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in North Vancouver
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent alternative to downtown Vancouver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

The Pinnacle at the Pier opened in January 2010 and is an excellent alternative to downtown Vancouver. It's located directly across Burrard Inlet from the cruise ship terminal, convention centre, Pan Pacific, and Fairmont Waterfront and is easily accessed by the Seabus from Waterfront Station (which is the end of the Canada Line directly from the airport). When you arrive at Lonsdale Quay on the North Vancouver side of the inlet, you just walk through the market and hang a right - no need for a taxi.
The Pinnacle is within walking distance of dozens of bistros, not to mention Lonsdale Quay again, which is a great spot for coffee and fresh food. If you are travelling to Whistler/Blackcomb this is a good choice because you avoid the traffic on the bridges. There is a Zipcar 2 blocks away for those who use this service and also a supermarket and liquor store for those who like to stock the fridge!

Rooms are clean and modern with nice linens, and they all have a microwave and small fridge in addition to the usual amenities of a good hotel. The food at the Lobby restaurant is excellent and the staff are always pleasant and helpful. Overall, I would choose to stay at the Pinnacle over most downtown Vancouver hotels whether you are travelling on business or for pleasure. One additional benefit is that rates are lower than downtown.

Room Tip: All rooms face either the mountain side or the ocean (Burrard Inlet) side. Both are fine, although i...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

I haven't written any reviews in awhile despite a lot of travel, but really wanted to do this one much sooner because my experience at the Pinnacle was one of the best customer service responses I’ve received in my years of travelling. I was so impressed by the way the Guest Services Manager (Brendan Stonestreet) and his staff handled themselves, that I booked another stay for this month. I will be paying regular prices this time, which at $200/nt, is still a VERY GOOD price for a hotel at this level of service and caliber.

I prepaid for a great deal thru Travelzoo (only 150 USD per night) to reserve a 3night stay at the Pinnacle back in June of this year. However, the Pinnacle was overbooked due to the Stanley Cup finals, such that my room was already given away by the time I had arrived in the early evening. I could tell that the manager of the day was nervous about how I would respond to not getting my room.

The management apologized very sincerely and explained that an upgraded harborview room will ready for me the next morning. They had arranged prepaid alternate lodging at The Travelodge (YUCK!!! But Vancouver was booked to the hilt due to the games) a few miles from the Pinnacle. They gave me $100 in taxi vouchers to transport me and allowed me to leave my car in the Pinnacle garage, as well as comped my parking for the duration of my stay. Upon returning to the Pinnacle the following morning to check-in, I was indeed put in an upgraded room, as well comped for 1 night, such that I ended up only paying for 1 night out of the 3 nights I had reserved.

Overall, it was a more than satisfactory resolution. However, the thing that really stands out and took away any bitterness was that Brendan Stonestreet and his staff were exemplary. Not only did they proactively resolve the situation, they seemed very genuinely concerned with customer satisfaction as they were doing it.

Regarding the Pinnacle’s physical aspects, there was nothing I can reasonably complain about. The public areas, amenities and my room were true to the pictures posted on the hotel’s website and pictures posted by other travelers. The gym and pool areas –as was the rest of the hotel- are very clean and well kept. Housekeeping seemed thorough and responded quickly when I requested a razor and more conditioner. Everything worked well in my room, which looked great, and had a soothing spa-like smell. In addition, the robes provided are very comfortable. Never had any problems with the wifi signal. The hotel’s location is truly convenient to the Seabus, Horseshoe Bay ferry and major attractions in North Van. There are two excellent restaurants across the street. The large and very charming public market nearby is well-stocked and reasonably priced. Ultimately, I was impressed with the service, happy with my stay, and very much looking forward to coming back this month.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

I reserved online and requested a harbor view......and it was beautiful! This is by far the friendliest staff I have experienced. Check in was a breeze. We did have some problems finding the hotel but that is because we did not have Canadian maps in our GPS and we became lost in downtown Vancouver. We talked with concierge Cory Gibson and he printed us directions to our next location. He spent a lot of time talking us through the directions. We couldn't thank him enough. We also had a great waitress in the lobby bar but I don't remember her name. Great view, professional and friendly staff, good location, nice amenities. Nothing negative to report.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TimMorrison, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased that you selected our Hotel as one of the Hotels to stay at during your 13 day road trip. I also want to thank you for sharing your comments regarding the friendliness of our staff . Our team strives to provide a memorable experience for our guests and it gives us great pleasure when this service experience is qualified by you "our Guest".

Thank you very much for staying with us and our team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

After realizing that this hotel was not in downtown Vancouver, I got a little worried. I became even more worried as we drove deeper into North Vancouver, where the glitz and glass of Vancouver was missing. Needless to say, walking in peaked my excitement about staying here.

I'm a neat freak and this hotel is CLEAN! From the garage to the corner lamp in the room, everything was spotless. Everything worked, the glass was clean (even the glass wall between the shower and the bedroom), and the bed was heavenly (sorry Westin, but you can't come close). Despite being a "Weddings and Events Hotel," our stay was very quiet and peaceful.

The BEST part of the stay was a tie between the view and the staff, who were incredibly helpful, friendly, and polite. One night we needed to find some places to shop and we were assisted by Jenie and Mel, who were VERY professional and helpful!

The view was breathtaking, but there is a historical site on the harbor side commemorating the Wallace Shipyard (where the hotel was built) that has a nice pier for walking and restored artifacts like a shipping crane and moorings. If the semi-industrial look makes you uncomfortable, you might not enjoy the view as much. However, everyone in my party loved it!

I will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: Get a High Level Harbor View with a Balcony. They also have adjoining rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed in downtown Vancouver the first night and enjoyed the city but were extremely delighted when we checked in to the Pinnical hotel the following night. It's a beautiful hotel with friendly customer service and great views. We will definetly be staying here on all our future trips to Vancouver!

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TimMorrison, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and for recommending our Hotel to others. I am very happy you and your husband decided to try this side of the water and that you both enjoyed the area and the view.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best regards,

General Manager.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

The Pinnacle at the Pier is a very good spot when starting your Vancouver trip. From the airport it us just over 35 minutes to gt to the hotel using the Canada Line and the Seabus. A short walk gets you to the hotel in 5 minutes from the Seabus terminal at north Vancouver.

The hotel is a beauty. The room was very clean and comfortable. Check-in went very quickly and staff was very helpfull with a dinner suggestion, getting our cases and calling us a taxi for our day of departure.

We had a room at the top floor with a view on the harbour which was really nice. Our suggestion would be to ask for room on the harbourside. It is worth the extra dollars for sure!

Any downsides? Perhaps the sounds coming from the wharf nearby should be called a downside. You can also say it adds up to the experience of being in a location in the harbour. We had some hallway noise from late arrivals talking in the hall but which hotel does not have that problem?

All in all a wonderfull experience which we definately would recommend to other travellers.

Room Tip: Rooms with a harbour view are really nice. Try to get on of them.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TimMorrison, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and the view from one of our Harbour View rooms. Thank you as well for describing the ease of access from the airport. The Canada line and Seabus are very fast, efficient and entertaining. If you have the opportunity this transport experience is not to be missed when visiting Vancouver.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My college-age daughter, boyfriend and I really loved this hotel! The front desk staff was extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. Mel greeted us upon arrival and made a number of helpful and welcome restaurant recommendations, including Burgoo, which was across the street. It was a nice cafe with beautifully presented comfort food (a little expensive, but we appreciated the relaxed and friendly service after a long afternoon and evening of travel). Over our 3-night stay, we got several other good recommendations for meals as well as info on the local area from the superb staff.
Each morning, we walked a block to the Bean Around the World coffee shop, where they had excellent coffee and yummy baked goods at reasonable prices.
The Sea Bus to Vancouver is also close to the hotel (about 2 blocks), but one experience was enough for us. It was crowded and slow, but perfectly fine for the day-long outing that we had planned.
We drove to Lighthouse park (20 mins from hotel in North Vancouver) and hiked through the old growth forest. This was a beautiful hike, which took us about an hour. I highly recommend this excursion, if you have time.
We also took the "Ultimate Day Tour" with the Prince of Whales company. They leave from the Westin hotel in Vancouver. It is quite expensive, but includes whale watching, boat transportation to and from Victoria, and ticket and transfer to Buchart Gardens in Victoria. We enjoyed the trip, but only saw a few Minke whales (which looked like big dolphins). It was a lot of boating for a little whale watching. The gardens were lovely, but we were pretty exhausted by the time we got there. If you only have a day, it is a good way to see a bit of Victoria, but it is probably better to stay overnight rather than go there and back in one day, if possible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TimMorrison, General Manager at Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience. I am very pleased that you and your family enjoyed the Hotel and the surrounding areas. I am though sorry that you found the Seabus crowded. The majority of the time the volumes are very reasonable and at other times such as rush hour it does tend to be more popular. For your convenience our Front desk is quite well versed on the Seabus operations and our team would be very happy to share their local insights on the busier times so that you can hopefully avoid the crowds.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
Hotel BLU
Hotel BLU
#12 of 89 in Vancouver
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,380 reviews

Been to Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier? Share your experiences!